Best close-quarters weapon

Shades of Green

I'm on the early stages of my restarted game; the Noestead has an extremely shirt range for my taste; I'll try the CAWS later on. ARs on burst are very effective against unarmored Transgenaents on close range but lack power against greys. Ofcourse, if I encounter a grey in a far enough distance, I nuke it with a super-striker before he does anything nasty to my troopers.

I preffer SMG's followed by shotguns, but it mostly depens on what the soldier is best at. If it's rifles I go with shotguns, if it's handguns I go for SMG's or pistols if not enough non-UZI SMG's are around. If by chance they're equally good, I still go for handguns.

Altho shotguns have great firepower, they aren't as good when having to deal with multiple, really close, incoming targets. This is basically because of the slow fire rate they have. And I always use them in burst mode except for the Scorpion which is better in aimed (more like short burst)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use frag grenades for close range work. If I am close it means that there are obsticles around. So I get an idea of where the enemy is located and use the splash damage of the grenade to hit him around a corner without exposing myself to counter fire.

If there is no way to tell what is behind the door and no real cover for when I open it, I simply open it with four guys. With a high rifle skill you usually get first shot and four assault rifle burst shots will take down most transgenants.

The rifle/grenade combination is a very good one because they both require agility. This lets you become superhuman in both weapon categories with little effort. Also, agility is the primary attribute for speed, and speed will let you swap weapons almost instantly!

For crazy situations such as entering a small UFO, I carry incendiary grenades and set all of the adjoining rooms on fire. This halts the initial reticulian swarm dead in its tracks. After that I use grenades and focus fire.

• 4 weeks later...
Thx Slaughter, Been around a while now, just never registered or posted 'till now. I like the Warp demolition device as it has 7500 points of damage per shot where the Neostead is at a ;) measly :) 900 points for a shot.... Obviously the Neostead is a great weapon but, when you develop warp weapons the Demolition Device is killer.

It depends on what the soldier is good at

my heavy weapons always have a back-up pistol or smg, i have guys with SMG as primary, and i have guys with shotgun as primary. All those weapons can be good, just SMG, although weaker, can do more than close quarters heavy combat, unlike the shotgun, which is very restricted in what it can do

• 5 months later...