Terror Missions

mirage

Hmm, after playing the game for some time, and convincing myself that it's just a game and that the civilians are thankless ingrates who are really large headless chickens in disguise, I just leave them alone.

Besides, they make more targets for the aliens to shoot at. A rather small and very temporary advantage.

Nevertheless, I try not to lose too many of the civilians on purpose. But if they're killed... well, who told them to run away from me and right into the jaws of a reaper eh? Not me, no sir!

On the bright side, while the UFO/TFTD civilians are stupid, they come off as rather bright when compared with their bretheren in X-Com Apocalypse.

- NKF

For terror missions i just load up the HE and let them rip. Too many buildings and too many hidding spots. Why should i send in my vets or even rooks into a urban jungle when i can clear cut the area. "Umm civilians?? I didn't know there where civs there before i droped the bomb :) "

-PSY GUY- :)

Well, the increase in the funding is not very worthy, but saving civilians is still worth it because it increases your score :) (it's important not to be on the negative)

For TJ: As a side note I've completed the first part of my first cargo ship mission and it was a massacre, my troops were armed with gauss cannons and the aliens were lobster men with sonic cannons and biodrones... luckily I had plenty of sonic grenades and a couple of vibroblades .... and I also discovered that if you kill a biodrone with a vibroblade it doesn't explode :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just did a terror mission the other day. it was pretty brutal. after I charred the map I took my hovertank out for a patrol and I found a handfull of civilians taking refuge on a roof of a 2 story building..

the aliens made them worry, but when the x-com craft landed they didn't want to take any chances!

I try to keep them alive but I don't take any major risks in doing so. If I find civilians in a building I may post a trooper to block the door in order to keep the civvies out of harms way. I also try to be very careful with explosives since I think you get -50 points for killing a civilian yourself. That's pretty much all you can reasonably do to save those idiots.

It would have been a worthy improvement, if the civilians would run towards any X-COM operatives that they saw and tried to stay behind them. Also, a civilian inside a building that doesn't see an alien in the building should remain inside. I'm no programmer but it really doesn't seem like complicated piece of coding. I think some civilian pseudo-instinct for self-preservation would make you care more and thus make the missions more interesting.

Cazbol

I usually just ignore them, I'll try to save them if I can but I won't go out of my way, I just switch to urban warfare tactics and start clearing the level building by building street by street until their are no aliens left standing, and usually the collateral damage is kept minimal however the aliens usually kill one or two off on a good mission... :)

Sometimes explosives are necessary.

When I saw a Chrysallid skitter into a warehouse in the corner, naturally the safest procedure was to level the warehouse with incendiaries.

When 3 sectopods ended up by a convenience store complex one block from the Skyranger, it was the biggest firefight I ever had in the game, with about six soldiers firing downrange. I kept most soldiers firing from a safe distance and only took two or three casualties. Explosives and stray shots levelled nearly every wall between the opposing forces. At least eight turns went by before I ended the standoff with two blaster bombs. Civilians were really an afterthought in all the excitement.

• 1 month later...

I would like to see farmers in those missions were your one the farms... and maybe some crop patterns...

However, when you blaster bomb the places you gets some real good crop patterns going!!! if ya know wat i mean

:)

One thing you should try in XcomUtil is to arm the civilians with pistols and rifles to see if they can pull off reaction fire to aliens! I mean cmon who doesn't have a gun these days!!

• 1 year later...