X-COM Wiki

GazChap

Ummm, no. The XcomUtil link was already present in the Misc section. Hobbes added his info to a page in the Supplimentary Reference with the same name. So then there were two links on the main page to the XcomUtil section. Hobbes deleted the other link in the Supplimentary Reference and left the one in the Misc section.

Either way, that link works for me, Hobbes. Try again. :(

- Zombie

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I click on the Recent Changes it only shows the changes up to November 5th. And the XcomUtil link still doesn't appear on the Main Page, on the Miscellaneous section. The only wait for me to visualize it is to go to my profile and check my Contributions.

Okay, assuming you two can't view recent changes, that means you probably haven't seen MikeTheRed's reply on how to possibly fix the problem. I'll just grab it off of BB's talk page:

Try two things: 1) Under Preferences / Misc Settings, checkmark "Disable page caching". Caching was messing with me badly til I figured this out. Or you can force a manual reload with e.g. F5 (Reload) in IE, but you have to do this EVERY time. 2) Under Preferences / Recent Changes, try Enhanced Recent Changes. Not sure what this does, but wth.

Hope that helps. Apologies if you already tried these!

For what it's worth, I'm using the default settings (Page caching and Enhanced recent changes not enabled) and everything works fine.

----------

Hobbes: Trust me buddy, the XcomUtil link is under the Miscellaneous section on the front page. It's there. Really. ;)Miscellaneous.png

In the meantime, here is the direct link to the XcomUtil page. Nice thing is that if you remember the page name, you can just enter it after the equal sign in the address bar: "https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=". Trying to find a "buried" page can be quite a task by looking at similar topics, but navigating with the address bar takes you right to it. ;)

- Zombie

OK, MikeTheRed's tips did the trick. I knew the page was there (I could access it through My Contributions) and I believed when you said it so. I simply thought that there was something either with my browser or the settings that was preventing me from seeing it ;)

Thanks!

I actually just fixed it... I logged out and back in again, then forced a full refresh (Ctrl + F5), and that seemed to do the job.

The thing which got me, was that I could manually tell the thing to show me changes made from the correct date - but it wouldn't. I thought it was a Wiki error, and after F5 didn't do the job, I left it at that. ;)

However, it does seem to be a caching issue. I couldn't read Mike's response for the same reason! Removing the disk caching seems to have fixed things, but it's strange that this wasn't an issue before.

All good now I suppose. ;)

• 3 months later...

Just so that everyone is aware, the wiki is temporarily offline. I contacted GazChap this afternoon letting him know. Hopefully, everything will be resolved soon. :D

Edit: The domain name was up for renewal and GazChap was unaware of this. He's contacting the registrar now, and the site may be up as soon as tomorrow. Hold in there people!

- Zombie

• 1 month later...

I just finished a comprehensive study on how General Store modules and items relate. You can see the full article in the Nuts and Bolts heading under the General Store page.

The most interesting fact about this study was that multiple General Store modules are not actually distinct facilities. They combine their space to act as a single unified structure. This phenomenon is also known as "stacking". I hinted at this a while back in the Two Quick Questions thread, but never got around to fleshing out the theory totally. There is still a little bit of testing needed, but for the most part, the General Store mystery is solved. :D

If anyone feels my wording is not clear, please feel free to edit it to your liking. The wiki is a community resource, and because of this the community is invited to contribute. (Remember, you must register an account to contribute, but it is free and your info will not be given out to anyone). :lovetammy:

- Zombie

You can look at it this way. The game's simple. To avoid confusion, I mean it does things in a very simple manner.

Each general stores that you add to your base increases the base's maximum capacity level by +50 and that's it. The base can hold as much as all of its variables can hold and the base storage level is only used to stop you from transferring items in or out of certain locations when you have more items than the storage level.

It's a bit like the radar. The building itself is cosmetic in nature, but the radar functions gets attached to the base upon construction of the facility. But unlike the radars where the radar functions stay with the base upon removal of the facility (until another one is constructed), when you remove a storage facility, the base's maximum storage level drops by 50.

- NKF

Oh, and question, why does everyone forget that UFO went by a third name? Namely: X-Com Enemy Unknown (with the dash), which was the name the Playstation version went by (and in my opinion, is the best of the three names :D)

The name for my NTSC PSX version is X-Com UFO Defense. I think X-Com Enemy Unknown may be the title for the PAL PSX version. :lovetammy:

The reason why it is usually forgotton is two-fold. The PSX version was not as popular as the computer version, and people tend to simplify things. :D

- Zombie

I call the game UFO all the time - but it is in fact UFO Defense or Enemy Unknown. (And as of Aftershock and Aftermath - yet more confusion abound!)

What irks me is when people say X-Com (or XCOM as the case may be) on its own and expect everyone to assume that they're talking about Ufo Defense/Enemy Unknown. I like to use X-Com to refer to the organisation you're playing and to refer to the series as a whole. If you have a general question and just say X-Com, you can end up misdiagnosing the problem. Hilarity ensues when you suddenly try to wonder why you can only bring 80 items on your Valkyrie interceptor...

In fact if we ignore UFO's manual, and run the game from the intro onwards, you don't actually see the word X-Com/XCom/XCOM anywhere until after you've started the game/loaded the game. Even then, you only see it when you fiddle with the graphs or you're in the ufopaedia (first sighting being the ufopaedia main headings - followed by some Ufopaedia entries), and the occasional messages in the Geoscape between battles and at the end of the month. Otherwise, it's quite scarce.

Speaking of which, UFOPaedia or UFOPedia? Another case of US -v- UK spelling of a fictional word? All I can say is I told them! I told them! Buggrit Millenium Hand and Shrimp.

- NKF

Wouldn't it be apparent which game a person was talking about? For instance, I never hear people refer to Terror from the deep as simply XCOM. In fact, all the games in the series have specific abbreviated forms. Looks like I just put my foot in my mouth because X-COM UFO Defense should be shortened to simply UFO (Or UFO Defense) if the same naming conventions are used. Then again, this was the first (and probably most popular) game in the series so using XCOM is practically understood to mean EU or UFO. :D

Actually NKF, the American version of X-COM X-COM UFO Defense uses the word UFOpaedia. And even though "encyclopedia" is spelt without a second "a" here in America, I still prefer to use UFOpaedia. (Probably because I was brainwashed by all the people who use the "other" version). :lovetammy:

- Zombie

For what it's worth, I started the X-Com series through TFTD, and in that, it spelt it with an e instead of the ae - although I highly prefer the version with ae. No relation to my general spelling preference, as it's a fictional word.

- NKF

• 11 months later...

I noticed that there were some minor problems at the X-COM Wiki a couple days ago, but it seems like everything went downhill within the last 24 hours or so. I have been getting a "Database error" for every page on the site except recent changes. Not only that, but the navigational links all reverted to what they were before we changed them around. For this reason I contacted GazChap to see if he could look into it. However, he's been unreachable for the past couple months so if he doesn't reply to my email I will have to contact the web host to see if they can help. Other than that, we may end up switching to a different host and let someone (like this website) host the Wiki so that we don't have major downtime in the future. :bleh:

Does everyone get a database error when accessing the site?

- Zombie

Yup, GazChap informed me that: "the table that stores the text for the database had somehow been corrupted. Fortunately MySQLs in-built repair function sorted the problem." That's the good news. It looks as if that did the trick, but if anyone notices anything corrupted or lost please report it to me immediately. Thanks! :bleh:

- Zombie