X-COM Wiki

GazChap

I put the idea forward in the thread about Earliest Base Attacks, and today I've taken a small amount of time to set up an X-COM based Wiki.

It is now available at https://www.ufopaedia.org

I'm quite new to this Wiki lark so I'm still learning about how to use it (the software used is MediaWiki, the same as the excellent Wikipedia). Over the next few days I'll be adding as many articles as possible relating to items in the UFOpaedia itself. I've already put some general info. on some of the crafts in it.

If anyone would like to add a page to the Wiki about a topic of their choice, please do so. To do this, go to https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Topic_Title, where Topic_Title is the name of your topic. It must start with a capital letter and spaces must be changed to underscores(e.g. Heavy_Plasma)

You don't need to create an account to add pages, but if you do create one it will be much easier for both myself and you to manage your contributions.

I'll shortly be posting this over at the XCOMUFO forum, and then I'm out on the beer with my brothers whilst they are all in town :huh:

//EDIT: Fixed URLs now that the domain name has sorted itself out.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm, methinks I'll try my hand at doing something for the Lightning. Let's see how it goes, eh? I just thought I'd offer my thoughts on it, as I do make good use of the Lightning.

How informative do you want the entries to be? And more to the point, how brief do you want this information to be? I, unfortunately, tend to get a bit long winded on some topics - as will be evident if I ever complete my edit on the Lightning's general information.

Is this just going to be a more interesting ufopaedia? Or are you planning to include all sorts of stuff in it? I was thinking notes on how damage is calculated, or how to calculate the amount of time an injured soldier will spend in bed, would be quite hard to fit in there somehow.

- NKF

As informative as possible :D Your modifications to the Lightning entry are good, well written too :D

I'm hoping that any and all information pertinent to the games will end up on there eventually, whether its tactics, information on editing game files etc. and the calculations that I know you like working out :huh:

This is excellent :huh:

We should also make a new sticky post in this forum after the Wiki is moved (and add it in the links section if it not already there) so everyone can be made aware of the Wiki.

Another idea is to put the ideas of the X-COM operations manual topic in some part of the Wiki...

Well the more the merrier I say :huh: It's all useful information after all!

Is there any chance you could make some other categories for each game though, or are you going to leave it liek this so that all craft from any game are in one place? Just trying to decide myself which would be more useful to the casual user, but it's your show :D

Good point. I did originally intend to split it up into each game, but the way I've done it at the moment might make that a little difficult.

Still, the beauty of a Wiki is that it can be organised however you like without too much hassle.

The other stumbling block of course is that I am only familiar with Enemy Unknown. I've played a little bit of TFTD and can't say I liked it. Nor Apocalypse for that matter :huh:

What is the URL for the UFO2K boards? I've not heard of those ones.

Just noticing your sig there BB, it would be good to have a sort of download area on the wiki too, including such stuff as your map viewer and the various editors scooting about.

What is the URL for the UFO2K boards? I've not heard of those ones.

Just noticing your sig there BB, it would be good to have a sort of download area on the wiki too, including such stuff as your map viewer and the various editors scooting about.

The UFO2000 boards is located at the XCOMUFO forum, so you've got it covered :huh:.

Regarding downloads, I suggest you just link to our downloads section. There are some downloads added already, and people are free to add more. You can find it here.

Do we have to have the '(UFO Defense)' bit tagged onto the end of the items on the main page? I get the impression either no pages should have that, or they all should; at the moment, it's pot mix. That might cause problems later.

For example, there's already a cross referance - there's a 'Heavy Weapons Platforms (UFO Defense)' page, as well as a 'Category:Heavy Weapons Platforms' page, as well as a 'Heavy Weapons Platforms' page, too. See where I'm going with this...?

I'm currently in 'dump information' mode at the moment. I can see that what I type will need to be re-formated; I'm just throwing in raw material, as such. :huh:

Do we have to have the '(UFO Defense)' bit tagged onto the end of the items on the main page? I get the impression either no pages should have that, or they all should; at the moment, it's pot mix. That might cause problems later.

I can see where you're coming from. However, obviously there are going to be Heavy Weapons Platforms for different games - UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep I know have them, not sure about Apocalypse.

The idea was to have game-specific pages and general pages that encompassed all games - so "Heavy Weapons Platforms (UFO Defense)" would just be HWPs from UFO, and "Heavy Weapons Platforms (TFTD)" would be from Terror.

And then "Heavy Weapons Platforms" would just be all HWPs from all games.

Category:Heavy_Weapons_Platforms should not be used, I don't like the way MediaWiki sets out category listings.

Hmm, how about the sections that are common to UFO and TFTD? Like the stats and a heap of the mathematical formulas?

We also need a team of editors, who can come along and rework a lot of the information that is dumped into the page into some form of standard, or just make it sound better.

I myself am terrible at this and tend to write ideas down at random (as can be seen with my recent entries).

- NKF

What an excellent way to maintain information! An online, group-input database! Your website may be a good continuation-point for the XCOM Field Manual, which has really fallen by the wayside during the last year or so.

What kind of protections are you using? Is there anything to prevent people from cluttering the data with inane and pointless (or even worse, wrong) entries? Is there any protection on the type of information entered--in other words, could a morally degenerate individual enter bogus entries in the Base Facilities section, or could a confused person place HWP data in the Craft section? Could a malicious user simply go through and delete every entry by "editing" them and updating with blanks?

There are several ways you could (or maybe already did) implement security, either controlled by you or controlled by the user community. I'm not intimately familiar with Wiki, but you should prepare your site for the future--with more people entering data than you have time to read, duplicate entries, erroneous entries, and chaos in general. Anything you can do now to address these issues, before the site is too widely publicized and running out of control, would be wise.

--Zeno