Movie discussions...

Slaughter

I like it, certainly. In a similar vein to Ringu, Jap horror, concentrates on atmosphere and developing an eerie feel rather than buckets of gore. Makes a nice change, and I really enjoyed it.

Soon the remake will be hitting our screens, starring the lovely Jennifer Connelly. And though she does have large breasts, I won't be going to see it.

Apparently we can't empathise with a character who has a different skin colour/speaks a different language/comes from a different culture, hence the remakes.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having never seen the shows before or heard what they are about, I'd like some thoughts from those who have seen it. Anyone?

- NKF

Are you English?

Strange question but Red Dwarf is very, very english with it's humour.

It really depends on what series you get, there were eight in total I think, and they'r emostly excellent, though the later ones were a bit... well... crap (in my own opinion)

basically the story is that Lister, some nodoby on a mining ship in deep space gets a bollocking from his boss and put in stasis on the ship (it's their jail), something goes wrong (I forget what) and he's stuck in stasis for millions of years, eventually waking up to find all the crew are dead, his cat (and it's descendants) have evolved into a stylish black man with pointy teeth called "Cat". And the only other company are the ships computer - a sarcastic bastard, and a hologram of Rimmer, an ass-kissing coward junior officer.

And that's it, other characters come in (notably Kryton) and it just sort of plods along amiably. I' recommend it.

I'm not an Englishman, if that's what you mean - but I do indeed appreciate English humour.

Since I asked that question, I've picked up seasons 1 through 6. There are a few niggling things about it that bug me (and it has nothing to do with the special effects or the occasional inconsistencies - like Kryten in his first apperance), but on the whole, I'd really like to pick up the rest of the series as well.

---

On the Anime side of things: Zeno, having secured my finances again, I was able to increase my entertainment budget a bit, so I got both.

I could recommend a few of the ones I've got in my collection (which I've built up over time - I couldn't possibly afford all this in one go! ;) ) that you may want to take a glance at if you haven't already.

You might want to try Last Exile. Have a look at the first few episodes at any rate and see how they fare for you. It might not be on the same epic scale as Macross, nor does it have giant robots, but I enjoyed it. Akira may tickle your fancy. Any of the Studio Ghibli films are rather good, like Porco Rosso and Laputa: Castle in the Sky - I remember watching some of them as a child, but I could never appreciate them as I do now. Toss Castle of Cagliostro in there too. Trigun, I picked that up recently and was rather disappointed when I got to the last disc - but I guess it's a blessing when a good series comes to an end rather than get dragged on until it no longer means anything. Slayers was quite good too, and satiates both my fantasy tooth and humour tooth at the same time - but I don't know if it would be on the same level as Record of Lodoss War.

I'm not an Anime fan in particular. I just like good cartoons. :)

- NKF

• 2 months later...

Anyone remember Predator? I know I do (no jokes, please, I fell on my head, it's a wonder I remember anything). And you remember Mac (the bald black lad who couldn't stop shaving himself with a disposable Bic) and Blaine (the minigun-wielding Jesse Ventura) right?

Well, if you remember that, do you remember the scene after Blaine dies, when Dutch (Ahnold) talks to Mac about Blaine? Mac says "He was...my friend." and Dutch looks somewhere between puzzled and shocked.

For some reason, a friend of mine thought that bit meant Mac and Blaine were, uh, lovers. Admittedly, this same friend has some odd views about films in general, but rewatching that scene, seeing Mac's guilty face when he says it....

trying to remeber the scene you mention.

There always was quite a close relationship between those two characters, it was set out pretty much from the beggining. I'll have to watch the film again to draw any conclusions on what you've mentioned though.

Homo undertones in predator???? wow, whole new dimensions to old favourites!

• 2 months later...

well it never struck me that way but Predator is one of Arnie's truly great films

He has done some wicked movies no doubt and some are getting unbelievably old but still worth a look

hey what about RUNNING MAN

ancient but sooooo cool, gotta see that again!! remember the RUNNING MAN game on the Atari ST ?? :(

Predator 1 and 2 are some of the greatest crap films of all time. Nothing has ever been as wonderful as a dreadlocked alien who tears out the spines of people. Awesome.

Speaking of gruesome, has anyone seen Event Horizon? I found that it was insanely bad, but still a very good horror movie because of the few memorable scenes.

"Liberate tuteme ex inferis" :devil: