Movie discussions...

Slaughter

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blood Work wasn't too bad either, that was directed by Eastwood. Along with Unforgiven, Midnight in the garden of good and evil and Mystic River, he's got quite a run of good films.

Can't believe I got dark crystal and Labyrinth mixed up! And yes, the starring girl is fine!

Relax, shagpuss, I like the Princess Bride too, I was just a bit puzzled at casting Columbo in it. I kept on expcting it to flash-forward from the main story and find him sat there next to his son's bed in a dirty mac, smoking a cigar!

And yes, it dos have Andre the Giant in it, who didn't even speak English at the time.

With his glass eye in a cup on the bedside cabinet?

Clint Eastewood you have got to take your hat off to him. Unforgiven was brilliant! :D

Has anyone seen Glory? A film set during the American civil war, it follows a white commanding staff in command of the first black regiment. Its brilliant and it made me cry!! :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Dawn of the Dead again, the remake. Have yet to see the director's cut, so if it's a vast improvement, I do apologise for my approaching comments.

Which isn't to say I think it's a bad film, because I don't. It's perfectly acceptable, for a remake. And let us not delude ourselves, it is a remake and that, to my mind, is a kind of stigma that can only be exorcised by:

A) Improving vastly over the original

or

B) Having an entirely diffrent 'take' on the source material.

A good example of this is the recent remake of The Stepford Wives, which ignored Levin's social commentary and went for laughs instead.

DotD isn't a vast improvement over the original, nor does it present a different view. It's a group of people stuck in the middle of a zombie uprising. In a shopping mall. Ok so far. Sadly, the film fails to provide us with a believable group of characters, as interaction between some is nonexistent, and character development varies between hyperactive and again, nonexistent. The action is good, which is a decent plus. The fast zombies (yes, 28 Days Later did it first, but so what? Stealing ideas is a great tradition in the arts, live with it) are good, mainly. It's a film I can watch, but wouldn't buy, which I think is a lot more descriptive of it's quality than '10 out of 10, OMFG this movie r0x0rs' as some insist on so colourfully describing it. These people also usually think Romero is a make of car.

A certain friend of mine, whenever this or any other zombie film is mentioned, brings up 28DL and insists you must be for DotD or 28DL. Please, if you reply, don't do this. It's very very sad to praise one film by denigrating another.

My bullshit meter is already telling me to avoid that one. How can such a high concentration of stupid people ever manage to churn out any good films?

"Boss, I've got a great idea! We take the videogame Doom, change the name of the planets so as not to offend any Greeks, change the bad guys so as not to offend any Christians, lumber a mediocre director with this big heap of cack and make millions."

Heh, what do you know. I take my first trip to my favourite bookstore in ages and take a look through the DVD section, and there right in front of my eyes. Newly released collectors editions of the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth.

I ended up buying Monty Python's The Life of Brian instead. (I would've obtained them all had I the funds)

---

I hear rumours that there's going to be a new Transformer's Movie, and it's being directed by Steven Speilberg. I grew up on the Transformers (both the American and Japanese cartoons (and hundreds of other cartoons of various genres)), and I know Steven Speilberg's responsible for plenty of good special-effect filled films and a variety of good cartoon series, but I really don't know what to make of this.

- NKF

itll all work out fine as long as he doesnt leave them on the cooker top to melt together when his mums cooking sunday dinner......that buggered up my transformers...

Oooooooooooh. Nasty.

The only time me and my best childhood friend ever fought was when, in a moment of madness, he tried to nick my optimus prime.

Surely no one could bugger up Transformers?

Full auto, I am saving this to my harddrive, and when the transformers movie comes out and is (as I predict it will be) a big pile of pants, I will post this back up for all to see!!!

And i can't believe you had optimus prime! you always led me to believe you had a deprived childhood! :D

Anyway whilst we're talking about films, how cack was 'Panic Room'?????

And i can't believe you had optimus prime! you always led me to believe you had a deprived childhood!

In all fairness, he was my ONLY Transformer. Which is probably why I nearly killed my friend when he tried to steal him.

Shut up about Panic Room. There have been much worse films. The remake of the Italian Job, for instance. :D

And when you say MASK, do you mean MASK crusaders or that lame Jim Carry thing?

MASK, as in Mobile Armoured Strike Kommand!!! not 'the mask' which has had a sequel released this year called 'son of mask' which i have not seen as it looks like a pile of tosh!

Panic room, I guess my main problem with it was they put the 'heroines' into the panic room about 5 minutes into the film, as i didnt know them any better then the guys trying to robn the house, i just didnt care who won!

O, that and the fact that they suddenly bought the young girls diabitesout of the blue half way through, I mean seriously!!!

'boss, problem, we've been watching the rushes and we dont think theres any tension, what should we do?'

'hmm, wheel out a diabites sub-plot for the little girl, no one will question it!']

RUBBBBBBBISHHHHH

Went to see a film a while ago, and something's been bothering me about it.  A character in the film mentioned a body being found "several miles upstream."  Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DOWNSTREAM the way the water flows?

If you're in the middle of the stream, you can find someone upstream you dufus! :D

Regarding MASK I'd love to see that movie! If it keeps current Hollywood standards however, they can just as well leave it alone.