Movie discussions...

Slaughter

Just saw Dog Soldiers mentioned in another thread. This movie started out kind of promising, but then turned to SH**. Will directors never learn that giving people a good look on the monster(s) early on in the movie kills the suspense? Especially when the "monster" look like something rented in a costume store for Halloween...:huh: Guess Dog Soldiers wasn't a high budget movie, but being almost as bad as Blair Witch is still quite a feat...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not running about, mate. There's plenty of shots of the werewolves, but not when they're running about. For a low-budget film you've got to let out a bit of slack, and because they don't conform to the usual 'image' of werewolves in films is a reason for praise, not criticism, I think. After all, how many werewolves have you seen?

I take your point about the FX not being the greatst, but that's what happns when European countries ignor their own film industry in favour of Hollywood.

I think Dog Soldiers is an excellent Yank-free effort.

Hey, I've made it pretty clear that I hold little confidense in Hollywood elsewhere (Compared to Van Helsing I though Dog Soldiers was a blast!). And I do like several European movies, like The Full Monty, Das Experiment and Elling. But a "horror" movie done wrong stinks regardless of it being Brittish or American. All comes down to taste of course, as you say, but I thought Dog Soldiers was a huge disappointment given it's good start.

28 Days Later... on the other hand I though was somewhat interesting. I didn't like the encounters with the zombies, as the camera was being thrown around so you couldn't see what was happening, but besides that the atmostphere in the movie was great. I really like that sort of movies! :huh:

I don't know that it is a horror movie, to be honest. It's more akin to 'Assault on Precinct 13' and other 'siege' type movies than say, Dracula. The involvement of werewolves just means people pigeonholed it in the horror genre whn it came out.

And I agree with you about 28DL, the shaky camerawork went a bit too far, but it was a nice contrast to the slow pace of the other scenes, with their slow steady pans. And yes, it was a blast! :huh:

you all know wot i bloody mean so why do you have to go on and on! so i cant spell, so sue me! didnt realsie it was a crime these days!

That period, huh? :lol:

My mistake, I thought it was Tiger too. Didn't see it though. Single, and chances are I'll not go to a cartoon like that with my pal ;). FullAuto is a self proclaimed pedant, so don't bother with his comments :huh:.

As u say for a low budget non yank advertisement infested "we love the usa" non hollywood film its great! Scale with other great films, and its not. btw Shaun Pertwee is one cool fella. FA did u see him on Bo Selecta? :D

As for classic, I think Dark Crystal has got to figure I just love it, its so dark and eerie! :huh:

I can't ever recall watching that film, but I feel I have - was it the one where two groups of warring creatures died in pairs, one one each side? And if I'm not mistaken, it involved muppets...

For some reason this thread's given me this sudden irrational urge to to go and see the Princess Bride again - luckily I got a copy of that on DVD. It's odd to see Columbo reading the story to the star of the Wonder Years (I like the former, I didn't like the latter - but that's another matter entirely)

And to go off on a related tangent: Any thoughts on The Iron Giant?

- NKF

David Bowie gives his usual nutty-as-a-fruitcake performance, and overall, it's a good film. It's one of those you watch as a kid and you always seem to remember it, like th first film you saw with stop-motion animation, and yes, it does involve puppets.

As for the Princess Bride, I always expected Columbo to stop at the end, look at his son and say: "You shee, there's just one thing I don't understand..."

FA u krazee fool!! :huh: David Bowie isn't in Dark Crystal, he was in (along with other human actors and a dog) Labyrinth (which I like aswell, the girl in it was FINE!) whereas Dark Crystal is totally "muppet" orientated.

NKF in a nutshell thats kinda right!

Slaughter if you do see it, just remember its a 1985 ish film, compared to the modern days super budget films it might look a bit ummmm "old", but its got a good story to it. :D

FA I hope you aint being sarcastic 'cos I kinda like that fiom, if I remember correctly hasn't it got Andre the Giant in it?