computer games

Ivory

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should know better than to ask THAT in HERE.

We all have the capacity for violence, but most of us sublimate it into things like...computer games! Whn nutty people play them, they get bad ideas and, well, things happen. Games aren't to blame, nutters are. And no, kids shouldn't be allowed to play 18 rated games.

I agree with FullAuto. Blaming games is just a way for parents to push the responsibility away from themselves. Pathetic! It may not be the parents fault either, but people that blame games are irresponsible and thus make me suspect it is. A normal kid would never go out and do a Columbine stunt regardless of having played violent games or not.

That being said kids should not be allowed to play violent games. GTA, Mafia and the likes are not made for them, and it is probably not healthy for them to run around killing people all day, even though it's just a game. It's parents responsibility to make sure they do not play these games however, so everything comes back to them.

On a sidenote, this sort of discussion tends to go ballistic. I will leave it open for now, but if people go out of line I will close it.

People often let hysteria make their decisions for them, often spurred on by their knowledge of some crazy person doing something nasty.

We consistently fail to realise that media, whether it be films, music or computer games, are just things, they are inanimate objects, they are not inherently good or evil, no matter their content. When these things influence the disturbed and yes, the evil, when it acts as a catalyst or inspiration or whatever, people kick up a fuss about the THING in question, not the person, because getting a game banned is easy, compared to confronting a multitude of social ills which affect us all.

interesting view points...and slaughter i didnot mean to open a can of worms so to speak. just interested, but i fully understand you'd have to close it if it got outta hand.

ps- 'normal' is a BAD word

back to the point: do computer games not give a clinical and clean experience of death and killing? (please note i am not agreeing or disagreeing wiht this statement)

Even the lowest-IQ humans on this world are able to see the difference between simulation and reality. Take "Monopoly" as an example, would anybody think he's a real millionaire because he won a game? :huh:

Dangerous are those guys that teach their 5-year old son/daughter how to use a real shotgun, because real training will deliver real problems. See Columbine, iirc those guys had more weapons than some small nations do. There were some smaller-sized acts like this here recently, too. In all cases the young-ones had access to weapons, because the father was a weapon-fanatic or a hunter etc.

I have never seen a real person been shot by a virtual gun.

Ah, the art of shifting the blame... how I hate it so.

Computer games are not a good window of reality (with recent not-so-violent games like the Sim series, they're trying to be, but it's just not good enough). We cannot just respawn or undo an action that has been done. In reality, once something is done, it's done. I can't just pick up and eat a mushroom and grow big ... well, perhaps over a long period of time (given that it's an edible mushroom..), but not insantly, and I can't get back up again after someone's shot me with a rocket, albeit with a mild blinking sensation and get to look down at my previous body. It's just wrong. So no, they do not give a good representation of life and death. Still, it comes back to the mentality of the people who play violent games that need careful attention. I know what I'm playing is not real, but what if I did not? Oh well.

I'm often put off by this excessive need for the attention and detail given to the blood, gore and violence used in games, with little to nil of the same when it comes to good or more interesting gameplay. A lot of it is just unnecessary. But I guess that's another discussion.

- NKF

why do you think im askign this lot!

I think you've been given this question as an assignment and you figure you can copy and paste our replies into Word and hand them in :lol:

I don't see any difference between the rating system for computer games and the rating system for films. I wouldn't be happy with a 10 year old kid watching an 18 rated film.

Like most people I am mature enough to realise that violence in a film or a computer game are make believe, and I have no trouble distinguishing between computer games and reality. The people who have difficulties making this distinction are either very young or they have some kind of major psychological difficulties and an obsession with violent computer games is a sympton and not the cause of this problem.

I would like to make the observation that I think that the debate on violent computer games is merely an extension of the decades old debate on violence in cartoons like Tom and Jerry.

Incidentally, T&J also led to the rise of Sesame Street. Yank psychologists noted an unusually high amount of copycat violence (probably due to the close association of violence and humour) and so a show was born that wouldn't inspire kids to whack each other with mallets or push fridges over onto their helpless younger siblings.

Here's a little story.

My parents never cared about the maturity rating on any movie. They allowed me to watch just about anything. (I believe I watched Terminater 2 long before any of my peers were "old enough" to see it.) Although, they were always present whenever I watched a particularly violent or sexual film.

When I first watched Robocop and it's sequel (at the time they were both considered overly violent movies) I was barely even able to read. I even recreated some of the scenes, such as when Robocop stabs Boddicker in the neck, in the backyard with my little brother on occasion.

Now I also had a close friend at that age. (I don't know him now though. I moved away since then.) He was my age exactly. His parents restricted the movies he watched, the games he played, and toys he played with. I can recall a home movie where I was out at a park with him (overseen by both our parents.) and I was playing around with a toy rifle that made *Ratta-tat-tat* noises. The moment this kid picked up this same toy, his own mother freaked out bloody murder and intervened, returning my toy gun to me and telling her son that he was not to touch it.

Well, there's a clear difference in parenting there. But let's move on to events that happened more frequently...

Within this same park, whenever my friend's parents were not present he let out a side of himself that would bring up questions. Often I would feed the ducks and geese that resided in the nearby pond, left nuts at the base of a tree for squirrels, and shared toys with fellow kids.

My friend threw rocks at the ducks and geese, chased after squirrels trying to kick them, and often wrestled my toys away from other kids I lent them to because he wanted them. Overall prick.

Now... My point is not that all children should watch mature films and play mature games at a young age as I have. But rather, there is no possible way that mature fantasy could have any bearing on the mannerisms of any human being, save for relief or uncovering a part of personality that was already there.

I suspect my infanthood friend did not know what violence was, nor was allowed to know. As a result, he did not understand what the consequences of violence could possibly be, nor did he realize that it was violence he was administering.

I also suspect, that it might just be that the way we acted were the way we were. I was always pretty pacifistic. Maybe he was just destined to grow up a violent asshole while I was just going to be the nice guy.

But the main thing that always gets me... Two different lifestyles. I grew up watching gore and sex while he grew up watching Barny and Kermit. I always see people fighting for kids to grow up under the same style he did, but the mere fact that I have home movies of this kid being an asshole... I just can't see those people being right anytime soon. As that lifestyle clearly doesn't work, one way or another. Maybe it's because my parents watched those violent movies with me and told me "Never shoot somebody with a 50 millimeter cannon." while his parents told him "Don't ever touch guns" therefore creating the element of curiousity.

No. I do not support the act of censorship. Not at all. If a child grows up sociopathic, it is either the person he or she is, or the fault of terrible and irresponsible parenting. Nothing else.

They pin the blame because they cannot look at their own flaws.

Movies and computer game tends to lead to imagination. Too much imagination and parental guide leads to possible violence and school gun shoot case. Children near me who played too much counter strike is showing some serious violence nature.

The biggest problem now is the parents themselves are already highly confused about right and wrong. How will they give proper direction to their kids.

I will pin the blame on too much liberty and deteriorating society and antinomianism.

Personally, I am a hard core gamer. Do I allow my kid play computer games? No.

I completely agree with Strong Bob's story. Yes, violent games and movies do influence a child's behaviour, but only to a certain extent. The final result depends solely on the parents.

Has anyone ever noticed parenting lately has swung to the extremes? On one end of the scale, we have parents who schedule every hour of the day for their kids, sending them to piano/violin/cello/whatever lessons, ballet/taekwondo, and pre-preschool tuition (wtf?!?!??), pretty much dictating their every waking moment, and even how long they sleep.

On the other end, well... What kind of parent DOESN'T notice their kid stockpiling weapons and ammunition?

I do know Mr Thompson is riding the current wave in blaming games, shooting off his mouth with his foot in it. An impressive feat, I'll have you know. Maybe he wants to run for president someday. He's even dumber than the village idiot (no offense meant). In his own words, "GTA is a training simulator for gangs."

Pretty ironic that he's named after the most infamous submachine gun of the 20th century. :huh:

Riiiiiiight... ;)

P.S. Don't be too sure about Barney. That purple dinosaur has spawned quite a lot of violent behaviour in otherwise sane people ;)

Edited by Matri