Earliest Base Attack?

GazChap

What is the earliest time that you have had one of your bases attacked?

I started a new game last night (on Experienced level) and played as usual. Took down a couple of small UFOs and recovered the artifacts.

Then, out of the blue - on January 11th, the "Your base is under attack" screen pops up. WTF, I think? :huh:

I've just sacked four soldiers for low stats and am awaiting their replacements, so I've only got four soldiers to defend the base. Because its so early I don't even have laser weapons.

Two soldiers got killed early on, after taking down 2 sectoids a piece. A third soldier was rendered useless because of repeated psi-attacks. I disarmed him first opportunity I got and just let the aliens use him as a play-thing.

Which left this one heroic soldier with only one and a half rifle clips left. Don't ask me how, but she managed to clear out the rest of the aliens. The last alien was seemingly just loitering in the access lift psi-ing my other soldier (how do they do that if they can't see them?!) and had his back to her.

I just couldn't believe how quickly they found my base and attacked!

--

Oh, and has anyone ever thought about setting up an X-COM wiki? I've been toying with the idea for a while. Creating an online UFOpaedia has been done, but you could put the UFOpaedia into a wiki and then have other topics for hints and tips. I see NKF talking about the Base Commander Handbook in a recent thread - that could fit in well with a wiki?

Would anyone be interested if I set one up?

Nice job. Can't recall the date of the earliest attack I've ever had, but the one I had wasn't that bad since I had more troops than you did and they weren't sectoids (no ethereals) so I didn't have to worry about psi attacks.

Regarding the AI using psi, I think it "cheats". Either the game reveals some of your troops locations to the enemy after a few turns or the AI just starts "guessing" the location by randomly psi-attacking squares. I saying this because I once had a unit that was a very far edge of the base in a room on his own and still got controlled. It's like they can sense the weak minds...

Just the other day, I decided to start a new Superhuman campaign. Shot down the first Very Small UFO. A couple of days later, a Medium Scout stopped in to pay a vist. I shot that down too. I never paid any attention to the crash sites, and went on my merry way. Next thing you know it's January 11th and here comes a Battleship!

It's lucky that I hired 22 soldiers and purchased some more weapons because there were a lot of aliens at that base defense mission. It was even luckier that the aliens that attacked were Floaters! I only lost 4 of my 30 troops, which wasn't too bad cause I ended up using up all my grenades early. The only thing that was left at the end was a Reaper. I polished him off with a barrage of Pistol fire!

Funny thing was what I recovered after the mission ended. Almost the exact same numbers of Plasma Pistols, Rifles, and Heavy Plasma's! That was a little bit unexpected. :huh:

Regarding the Wikipedia idea, I think its great! We could definately have a UFO-paedia, as with a storyline of all the games and history of the games and producers, blah blah, etc.

I'll need something to do this weekend so I'll probably have a crack at something. Anyone else got any interest in it? Obviously everyone will be able to update articles and suchlike but if no-one is interested then there is no point :huh:

My earliest one was in Jan 1st actually, I could not believe that they directly sent the battleship to my base :huh:

In TFTD something similar happened, but on Jan 2nd

EDIT: The Wiki idea is perfect :D maybe Pete can install a Wiki application in the same server, there are lots of free PHP Wiki software available for installation :D