Project Xenocide is alive and kicking!

Slaughter

I guess most of you are familiar with Project Xenocide, and if you're not you can find more information on this fan-made X-Com inspired game here.

Anyway, if you'd like to see how they are progressing, red knight have put up a tread with links to download their latest build here. This build is to show the new engine they are using, and thus does not contain music and the likes. Still, nice to see that they are still going strong, and let's hope they'll get it done!

True enough. But you have to realize that they have switched 3D engine. That is quite a job from what I understand, and thus there isn't really much to show feature-wise. That being said the news post at the Xenocide forum states that music (and probably many other features) were not included since this build was to show the new 3D engine.

• 1 month later...

I was kind of excited about Xenocide five years ago, or so. But, in my mind, I have been looking upon Xenocide as vaporware for the last couple of years or so.

I always thought that it would be nice if all the 'vaporware' creators of X-Com Clones would get together and pool their efforts and maybe among them all come up with something that can actually be played. Lots of nice geoscapes out there, but it seems to be very sparse when it comes to a tactical game that works.

It's hard to know what's worth downloading and trying in terms of X-Com Clones. I tried to do so six months ago, and most of the stuff crashed on Windows XP, so it wasn't too exciting or too hopeful. And, I'm not going to download a geoscape. What's the fun in that?

Well, downloading a Geoscape isn't all that exciting, that's true. The exiting thing is seeing proper progress with each release. Regarding Xenocide it's been rather slow. Then again they are still alive and kicking after such a long time, so with a little luck we'll see a complete game from them at some point.

As for the projects worth looking at now, I'd say it's the ones listed here.

Howdy -

Xenocide is very much alive and kicking. Just look at the forums, over 5,500 members and 100,000+ posts. The alphas that have gone public are just that... alphas. At this point, there are many many completed features that just were not included in the newest releases. There was just a new build releases several days ago that does include a small sampling of these features, although Im not sure if it has been publically released at this time? Similarly, there are several dozen active members banging away at their respective tasks currently. Yeah, its not always fast and furious, but the summer is coming upon us, and this is usually the time when open source projects become most active. Rather than say its "just the Geoscape" (which is is not), check out the forums and see the actual progress. The more critiques and opinions we hear, the better the final version will be.

Hopefully we will be able to get you guys at this site more information, and then more of your feedback ;) . Just wanted to say that Xenocide is not vaporware at all. You can play around at www.projectxenocide.com to get a better idea of the project and whatnot.

- Gold

EDIT: The new build is public, here is a link:

https://www.projectxenocide.com/download/xe...ase.489.torrent

An executable version will be available soon.

*cough* *cough* we are most definitely alive and kicking thank you very much! ;)

I am the provisional leader of the Creative Text Dept, and my members have been furiously working, but their efforts have yet to be included as the texts have not been finalised yet. The same I believe is true for the sound department, and the art dept is also doing well.

We may not do many public releases, but I can assure you that we are working away merrily.... :)

Good lord! It's an invasion by the Xenocide team! RUUUUN!! :(

Welcome guys, the more the merrier ;)

The invasion is yet to begin.... BWAhahahahahahaha :) . Seriously, though, this is a great site and I'm glad that it has been brought to the general attention of the Xenocide forums and memebers. I'm hopeful that in the future we'll be seeing more cross-forum communication.... err.... or is is contamination .... :( .

Gold

I just downloaded it and checked it out. You guys are coming along nicely.

I like the music, but it's very quiet. The interface looks good though. It'll be interesting to see the base building when it's implemented.

Interesting you should say that. Although the base facility models are untextured (most, not all), the process of adding them to the Base screen in the Geoscape was started last night and today by some coders. Might make it into the next release, and if we get any scrrenshots from them Ill be sure to post them here ASAP.

Gold

Of course with a project like this the backbone of it is the programming department. The last year-or-so has been spent essentially rewriting the engine from the ground up. A change like this is huge but unfortunately invisible. Fans only see the outside of the black box and can't appreciate the changes going on in the inside of it.

Sure it's frustrating and yes expect a release later rather than sooner. But that IS a release folks.

Why did you change the engine by the way? The new one looks good, but most people in the X-Com community are more uptaken by actually getting to play the game than how good the graphics look would be my guess. I know that is the case with me at least ;)

*cough* *cough*  we are most definitely alive and kicking thank you very much! ;)

I am the provisional leader of the Creative Text Dept, and my members have been furiously working, but their efforts have yet to be included as the texts have not been finalised yet.  The same I believe is true for the sound department, and the art dept is also doing well.

We may not do many public releases, but I can assure you that we are working away merrily.... :)

Well, since we switched to Progress Releases, we've been releasing a lot :(.