Can't finish the game

Overtaker

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys!!

It passed some time since you talked about that subject, but I'm having the same problem, and I tried EVERYTHING, now I'm giving save games to other people to see if they can enter t'leth, save, then return me savegame :-)))

If you know the problem, please tell me!!!

I think it has something to do with hardware non-compatibility!!

Ciao!!

Daniel

Hi guys!!

It passed some time since you talked about that subject, but I'm having the same problem, and I tried EVERYTHING, now I'm giving save games to other people to see if they can enter t'leth, save, then return me savegame :-)))

If you know the problem, please tell me!!!

I think it has something to do with hardware non-compatibility!!

Ciao!!

Daniel

Can I get a copy of that game?

kid3@usa.net

-Blade FireLight

• 1 month later...

I have this problem also. I downloaded my copy of TFTD from *link removed* I believe. The version I have appears to be the collectors edition (as it installs as ufo2gold) Got that version because some helpful person has patched it to play with sound over XP. No need for dosbox or VDMS.

So after falling foul of the game crashing every time I try to send my leviathan to T'leth I started googling. That search pointed me here and also another place. (Forgive me if posting a link to another forum is frowned upon...) that link was https://www.xcomufo.com/forums/lofiversion/...p/t4425-50.html Look for the posts by 'Guest_M&M_*'

The long and short of it is that the program is *trying* to play a movie. That movie is supposed to be in a folder called 'anims' and given the name something akin to 'intro.ani' and 'intro.idx' the problem Overtaker (assuming you have the same version) is that I don't HAVE that folder, nor the files therein. So as a result the game crashes.

Stupidly, the game really shouldn't start for the same reason, no intro movie, but it can handle that by going into slideshow mode where I get pictures with text I have to click my way through.

So anyway... you're probably in the same boat. No, they didn't provide the files on the other forum either and nobody posted to that thread since January. So I started searching google for the missing anim folder and I can't find it. Which is a shame really.

(just to list them I have these folders: flop_int, game_1 ... game_10, geodata, geograph, maps, missdat, routes, sound, terrain, ufograph & units)

If you guys are running TFTD CE (gold... whatever) can any of you rar up the anim folder and post it somewhere? That should help us 2 out I hope.

Cheers

[Edit by Zombie: removed link]

The reason why nobody posted that folder is because it's 48MB uncompressed or 28.4 MB zipped up. That's a pretty large file to be downloading. On top of this, I'm not sure if it is even legal to be posting files to a game which is not considered abandonware. If the admins okay this, I'll add the ANIMS folder to our TFTD file section, but not until then. :)

- Zombie

The ANIMS folder is huge, and most likely illegal to post (even if I doubt there would be any enforcement, it is not really worth the risk).

Therefore, I have created this dummy version which will allow you to go to T'Leth.

Extract it directly into your game folder, and enjoy!

Well done for finding the problem, Usurper. :)

CE_ANIMS.zip

:) I had no idea this game wasn't yet abandonware. Funny how I origionally decided to get this game by first going to *link removed*... guess thats the dos version though.

Anyway, just wanted to post saying that bomb blokes anim folder certainly fixed my T'leth problem.

The other alternative I found people talking about, was to copy your GAME_1 folder to the dos version, load that up go to T'leth and save your game (to save x) once on the battlescape and then copy that Game_x folder back to your CE version. Although that didn't work for me.

Thanks for the assist.

[Edit by Zombie: removed link]

That's not it. The dos version is just more forgiving when it comes to whether it should play the slideshow or the cinematic sequences.

You only need to create an anims folder and fill it with the movies, rename the flop_int directory to hide it from the game and maybe fiddle with one or two other very minor files and voila, animated sequences.

If neither the animated sequences or the slideshow can be found by the game, it'll skip the intro and just show a black screen with a slightly miscoloured line of Microprose copyright text at the bottom.

The CE port must be a bit more strict on the animated sequences - choosing to exit completely rather than resolve the problem gracefully.

- NKF

I had an akward problem with my CD version of TFTD - it would either run the slideshow version with sound and no problems, or alternatively, the movies with no sound, stuttering and constant crashes. Rather annoying. And I could never finish the goddamn thing without it crashing at the end too.

And the PS1 version is terrible. UFO on the PS1 was so much better than the PC version, but the PS1 TFTD was atrocious.