Which forum to visit?

Space Voyager

I admit this forum is much better than the official Aftershock forum. Can't you guys contact ALTAR and reach a consensus to use this forum as their official one?

I visit the X-COM forums now and than anyway, but I'm definitely NOT going to use two forums for one game. I spend too much time on the forums as it is. Besides, using two forums usually means writting/reading everything twice. :huh:

I also believe one central forum would benefit both ALTAR and the Aftershock community since all the data, ideas... would be gathered in one place. I would definitely vote for this one, but it's not up to me, really.

Please contact ALTAR. I'm sure they would also admit this forum is WAY nicer.

But we need more smilies. And something must be done with smilies icons of clickable smilies to loose the flaps. ;)

What would be REALLY neat is if all their content got merged with the Aftermath forums here, and then somehow have an IPB installation there that draws from our database for Aftermath/Aftershock.

that way they get a bunch of forums that look like they're theirs, and we get the same forums that look like they're ours. It'd require a bit of tinkering to actually have it work, but it'd be nice.

Unfortunately there are a lot of downsides - if this server goes down, I'd be in trouble. On their board, there would have to be a note when people sign up to say that if they're a member here, they don't need to sign up there... Err... the merging of member accounts would be a pain in the behind - someone from the company that actually created the board software would have to be paid a fee to merge the boards, and probably another small sum to set up the other board to use this database.

Err... there are downsides, but they're nothing that couldn't be worked around ;)

There is an even more cunning solution once the board contents were merged though - https://www.ufo-aftermath.com/forums could redirect to here and Icould set up Apache's mod_rewrite to keep the url so it looks like https://www.ufo-aftermath.com/forums whilst they're here and loads a different skin based on the referring url. Now that's the clever way around half of the problems above, but it still leaves the merge and the small fee :huh:

You know they use IPB too Pete? :huh:

@SV: This would be neat, but for it to ever happen we need the fans to suggest it on their forum. That means you ;). It has been suggested before, but I think ALTAR is reluctant to leave the control of their forum somewhere else. Not because they do not trust us, but because of the reasons Pete mentions.

I know Slaughter :huh: The problem is they're on 1.3 and we're on 2.0.3 which is like being on a completely different boar sotware entirely as fas as the code's concenred. The databases are pretty different too...

If a merge were ever to happen, the chaps at IPB would upgrade that board to 2.0.3, use ther in-house merge tools and delete that upgraded installation on the other server I imagine.

Pity they don't release their merge tools to the community ;)

Hehe, there's been a bit of nastiness over licenses at IPB. If they did get a lifetime license, then that's good ;) That means they can upgrade for free to 2.0.3. The reason they probably haven't is that you have to re-skin EVERYTHING :huh:

Ouch! Then they will probably not upgrade anytime soon...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
But nobody is going to try to make it happen?

To be honest I've got a bit too much to do right now. I've added large parts of the Aftermath and Aftershock material to our site, but there's still a lot left for me to do. Same with Pete. So until we're done with the site it will not happen. After that we'll see. It's a good suggestion, but I'm not sure it's doable.

Sorry. I understand there's a lot to do with the site.

I'm just impatient becouse this forum is so much nicer than the official one and frankly I think the official one could easily divert some newbies to other games. It has the "I'm very unprofessional" feeling to it (the general lack of background & colours)...

Thankfully the game seems as though it will be everything but that.

I'll stop nagging about this. :D