Perimeter - The Game

Aralez

Some days ago i stumbled over some very good critics for a russianmade RTS-game called Perimeter. I downloaded the demo at the official site here: Official Site After getting my butt kicked SERIOUSLY, i was not sure if this game would suit me. But when i saw it for 14.99 $ today in a shop i couldn't resist and bought it. And so far i'm surprised VERY positively. The tutorial is awesome, a replay-function is there, the graphics are nice and the gameplay is really something completely different, i played a LOT of RTS games and i have NEVER seen anything like this.

The gameplay is a bit difficult to describe, basically you start with a base-building, some reactors and some energy. You can switch on an energyfield which defends your buildings but do cost LOTS of energy. In the singleplayer campaign you fight against the "scourge", animals and insects steered by the AI. See here for a pic of a base with the shield activated:

Picture 1

You can build additional buildings like energy transmitters, baracks (to produce soldiers), research buildings like in any other RTS, the commands are pretty run-of-the-mill, god thx. BUT the units can transform ("nanomorph") themselves in other units e.g. three officers morph into a sniper unit, which is really something that is different from other RTS games. This combined with the terraforming needed for building buildings and or defence, and the energy/shield system makes this gamne really unique. Nice "sci-fi" music and flair.

Back to the Demo: The provided mission is VERY difficult, especially with the small readme which explains only the basic controls, imagine an Xcom demo where you have to fight a Cydonia mission on superhuman without a single clue what to do! :lol: Or for you "aftermath" fans : The russian base mission with 2 soldiers equipped with pistols :)

The full game features MP-modes, replay-saving and Skirmishes vs the AI.

Conclusion: Well, what shall i say: I think this a very good and unique game, fans of Total Annihilation and Dawn of War should take a look at the demo, if you find it interesting, well, go get that game, especially as you can find it for a cheap price now!

Picture 2

I played the demo a while ago when it first came out.

I wasn't that impressed with it TBH. For me there just seemed to be too much happening all at the same time and it was difficult to control the units as they were so small.

Edit:

Those pics a HUGE!!!!! Use links please or make them smaller.

There is a mod available which gives you total freedom with your camera. Much better than the standard view. I played 4 or 5 missions since my last post and slowly i get better and better. Perimeter really needs a learning phase as it is very different from other RTS games. In my last game i got laser- and rocket-turrets and attack planes, they showed the enemy who's the boss now :)

I really like that game, it takes long to win a mission, but otoh it gives you more time to defend you base. Turtling is not only possible but even required to win the missions. In other games like DoW you usually die a quick death when you upgrade to the wrong unit, here you can recover and build a better base.

And the graphics are cute, they always make me think of that sci-fi short story where there is a race that is very far advanced and as they need place on their planet they decide to shrink themselves down to insect size. (later even smaller)

15 $ is a real bargain for this game. I often paid three times more for games that were complete crap.

Kernel, pics change into links... Done.

Here more pics:

Gallery