Piracy.

FullAuto

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traditionally, SB, there's not that much wenching to be had per se. Having a woman on board a ship is considered to be unlucky, so th female head count on most merchant ships was zero. God knows what they got up to, coming into port after six months at sea after just burying all their loot. Did they ask the brothels to extend them credit?

https://www.talklikeapirate.com/

and don't forget the pirate translator...

https://www.talklikeapirate.com/translator.html

Ever want to know what the Strategy Core front page reads like in pirate? https://www.mediocreminds.com/03q3/misc/pir...=AAARRHHH%21%21

;):huh: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: Here's a link to the page translator. https://www.mediocreminds.com/content.php?articleID=160

Still laughing at the SC.co.uk page in pirate.... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Tis rather good, also handy if you find yourself in Devon

(note to americans and other non-bristish, Devon (pronounced Deb'n) County in south west England, Home of Drake, Raleigh, and many other famous sea farers, old folk still talk a bit like pirates, only with more drawl)

• 3 years later...

Apologies for bringing this topic back from the dead, but there's been a renewed offensive against piracy here in the UK recently, with a certain TV ad right at the forefront. Please do watch it here.

It has done more to publicise and popularise piracy than anything else I can think of recently. No, I do not know why the main bloke singing is from the 1970s.

I dunno, FA. Those flash movies and games do not really make it clear they're discussing piracy. (Even that song, despite mentioning "stealing money", doesn't seem obvious enough... Had to watch it a couple times to even hear exactly what he said.) I don't see it as publicizing something, if I had a hard time just figuring out what on earth they were publicizing. XD

If anything, that whole thing is more a waste of money than anything else. Unless "knock-off" is a much more common phrase in Britain. Personally, I never hear anyone around here ever use that term, unless refering to shoddy merchandise.

Is there any more information on this "knock-off Nigel" deal? Because this doesn't strike me as 'anti-pirate' enough to be a genuine anti-pirate movement.

Is there any more information on this "knock-off Nigel" deal? Because this doesn't strike me as 'anti-pirate' enough to be a genuine anti-pirate movement.

AFAIK, that's it. It's quite the most inept piece of anti-piracy I've seen. They should stick to more subtle methods, like covering the foyer of cinemas in posters like this. Oh, wait, they already tried that.

Disregard.

I'm a little confused about the Ubisoft crack...

As far as I can tell, one of their patches seems to feature a crack that was coded by a user of the software...

That is... Not wrong. At least not inherently. A game company has every right to excercise it's ownership of the software it built, regardless of the changes made by third parties. (I believe this same legal right is observed when some developers put down mods that players make.)

The public outcry seems incredible though. Did Ubisoft make some sort of anti-crack statement prior to this? That would be the only explanation I could think of.

As far as I can tell, one of their patches seems to feature a crack that was coded by a user of the software...

Not sure if it was coded by a user, but it was, AFAIK, coded by a group that provided a No-CD crack for the game. Hence the hullabaloo. Hootenananny. And other words beginning with 'H'.

Yes, I am half-out of my mind on Polish beer. Damn those Polish brewers.

• 1 month later...

Developer Talks To Pirates.

A few days ago I posted a simple question on my blog. "Why do people pirate my games?". It was an honest attempt to get real answers to an important question. I submitted the bog entry to slashdot and the penny arcade forums, and from there it made it to arstechnica, then digg, then bnet and probably a few other places. The response was massive.

Very interesting, Mr Bond. Er, Harris. Responses ranging from high-minded political to outright shameless. Didn't think money would be as big a factor as it seems to be, though.

I don't think anyone pays RRP for games anymore do they? The internet always offers a cheaper alternative (buying off the internet, I mean, not pirating) and there's always second-hand games available. I've never had enough money to buy every game I wanted for any system, unless I was to totally disregard DVDs, music, books, alcohol and minor things like food and shelter.

• 2 years later...

The website of the Secret Sisters, a gospelly-blues duo.

Note this bit in partic:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/ssw.jpg

No, not the pretty ladies, the words, you animals.

Available now, it says. Well, it just so happens I have some money. In fact, I have that magical amount known as 'enough'. Yes, that's right. I have 'enough money' to buy their album. And indeed I wish to. So off I go to all my usual spots. But it's not for sale until 21st of February. Surely some mistake? So I take myself to iTunes. No, not available. Hmm, I smell a conspiracy. So I go to Amazon.com. There it is! And only $5.99. But what's this, only available to those in North America? Surely, again, there is some mistake! I have enough money, I have a PC, and I have The Internet. Why do I have to wait another month and pay approximately twice as much (the download will be

I have the means to buy it. There is no impediment to me buying it. Except they don't want me to buy it. They want me to wait and then pay a much higher price, for no reason at all.

And I'm simply not doing it. I'm not going along with such spiteful stupidity.

piracy is so much funner when you got to wear an eye patch (and if you were really lucky) a hook for a hand! ;)

Isn't it the unlucky pirates who lose hands lol

Anyway I'm a late comer to this thread but I'd strongly recomend the follwing video to anyone with a spare 7 mins. It covers both sides of the piracy argument and a lot of points made here already including cost, loyalty and stupid DRMs.

Anyways here it is from the team at The Escapist and it really is worth a listen!

Personally I think piracy sucks arse as it's undeniable that every time a game is pirated a company risks losing a sale. That is, a person who downloads a game therefore no longer NEEDS to buy it in order to enjoy it. Therefore the chances that they will buy it are drastcially reduced...

The flipside of this is that I actually downloaded a lot of games just before xmas to see if I liked them enough to warrant buying them or not. Some of them I loved and so purchased at full price from official distributors. Others I didn't and the games were deleted and I'll never play them again, legally or otherwise.

In this scenario a pirated game can actually serve to guarantee an additional sale by making up for the numerous games released nowadays which don't have demos. Whatever happened to demos anyway? I remember in the 90s I used to love when my dad's copy of PCBuyer arrived as it was full of good demos. It's actually the first time I played the landed cruiser mission in TFTD I believe and what do you know I then went on to buy and own that game.

So how about we bring demos back? That'll help somewhat with piracy as people like me who download games to test-drive them will no longer need to. As a result, hits on torrent sites will fall slightly and a good demo will increase sales in the game anyway. There's no easy way to beat piracy and honestly the harder they try the worse they make it for us the genuine buyers, but maybe that's why people download torrents?

Stop screwing us over with stupid account requirements, copy-protection and online gameplay and we'll stop looking for ways to get round it. Fact is, hackers have all the skills a good in-house dev team do and more so no matter how well you protect your games it's only a matter of time before they're cracked, ripped and lighting up google like a dirty little xmas tree.

Sucks but that's just how it is!

EDIT : Hey FA this thread has been dead for 2 years. What happened lol