Piracy.

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#61 FullAuto

FullAuto

Catching the next pimpmobile outta here!

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

Apologies for bringing this topic back from the dead, but there's been a renewed offensive against piracy here in the UK recently, with a certain TV ad right at the forefront.  Please do watch it here.

It has done more to publicise and popularise piracy than anything else I can think of recently.  No, I do not know why the main bloke singing is from the 1970s.

Erfworld - the finest comic about turn-based gaming ever.

#62 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:33 PM

I dunno, FA. Those flash movies and games do not really make it clear they're discussing piracy. (Even that song, despite mentioning "stealing money", doesn't seem obvious enough... Had to watch it a couple times to even hear exactly what he said.) I don't see it as publicizing something, if I had a hard time just figuring out what on earth they were publicizing. XD

If anything, that whole thing is more a waste of money than anything else. Unless "knock-off" is a much more common phrase in Britain. Personally, I never hear anyone around here ever use that term, unless refering to shoddy merchandise.

Is there any more information on this "knock-off Nigel" deal? Because this doesn't strike me as 'anti-pirate' enough to be a genuine anti-pirate movement.
Strong Bob's random Star Trek quote of the year:

*Scans rock* "It's dead, Jim." - McCoy

"Very funny, Bones." - Kirk

#63 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

Is there any more information on this "knock-off Nigel" deal? Because this doesn't strike me as 'anti-pirate' enough to be a genuine anti-pirate movement.

AFAIK, that's it.  It's quite the most inept piece of anti-piracy I've seen.  They should stick to more subtle methods, like covering the foyer of cinemas in posters like this.  Oh, wait, they already tried that.

Disregard.

#64 Matri

Matri

Official Love Nest Mascot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:52 PM

Here's something: Ubisoft tried to pass off a RELOADED No-DVD crack as their own.
Link: http://forums.ubi.co.../1381029176/p/1
"Never be normal!" - Ron Stoppable

MechQuest. Get your mecha RPG fix.
Star Citizen.

#65 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:05 PM

I'm a little confused about the Ubisoft crack...

As far as I can tell, one of their patches seems to feature a crack that was coded by a user of the software...

That is... Not wrong. At least not inherently. A game company has every right to excercise it's ownership of the software it built, regardless of the changes made by third parties. (I believe this same legal right is observed when some developers put down mods that players make.)

The public outcry seems incredible though. Did Ubisoft make some sort of anti-crack statement prior to this? That would be the only explanation I could think of.
Strong Bob's random Star Trek quote of the year:

*Scans rock* "It's dead, Jim." - McCoy

"Very funny, Bones." - Kirk

#66 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:18 PM

As far as I can tell, one of their patches seems to feature a crack that was coded by a user of the software...

Not sure if it was coded by a user, but it was, AFAIK, coded by a group that provided a No-CD crack for the game.  Hence the hullabaloo.  Hootenananny.  And other words beginning with 'H'.

Yes, I am half-out of my mind on Polish beer.  Damn those Polish brewers.

#67 Matri

Matri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:49 PM

Well, they close threads and ban any user who provide links to No-DVD cracks, claiming piracy.

Then THEY provide the very same No-DVD crack they ban people over.

Star Citizen.

#68 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:54 AM

Developer Talks To Pirates.

A few days ago I posted a simple question on my blog. "Why do people pirate my games?". It was an honest attempt to get real answers to an important question. I submitted the bog entry to slashdot and the penny arcade forums, and from there it made it to arstechnica, then digg, then bnet and probably a few other places. The response was massive.

Very interesting, Mr Bond.  Er, Harris.  Responses ranging from high-minded political to outright shameless.  Didn't think money would be as big a factor as it seems to be, though.

#69 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:08 PM

View PostFullAuto, on 28th August 2008, 11:54am, said:

Didn't think money would be as big a factor as it seems to be, though.
If you don't have a job it is hard to scrape up 20-40 for a game... I guess for most pirates it boils down to "if I don't pirate this game, I'll never get to play it, period".

Enough of the guessing, I'll go and read.

#70 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:38 PM

I don't think anyone pays RRP for games anymore do they?  The internet always offers a cheaper alternative (buying off the internet, I mean, not pirating) and there's always second-hand games available.  I've never had enough money to buy every game I wanted for any system, unless I was to totally disregard DVDs, music, books, alcohol and minor things like food and shelter.

#71 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:30 AM

Lately time is more of an issue than anything else for me. So I barely get to play the games I already own and know I love, so buying more and more isn't an option anyway.

#72 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

The website of the Secret Sisters, a gospelly-blues duo.

Note this bit in partic:
Posted Image
No, not the pretty ladies, the words, you animals.

Available now, it says.  Well, it just so happens I have some money.  In fact, I have that magical amount known as 'enough'.  Yes, that's right.  I have 'enough money' to buy their album.  And indeed I wish to.  So off I go to all my usual spots.  But it's not for sale until 21st of February.  Surely some mistake?  So I take myself to iTunes.  No, not available.  Hmm, I smell a conspiracy.  So I go to Amazon.com.  There it is!  And only $5.99.  But what's this, only available to those in North America?  Surely, again, there is some mistake!  I have enough money, I have a PC, and I have The Internet.  Why do I have to wait another month and pay approximately twice as much (the download will be 7.99 on iTunes) for the same music?  Is The Internet more expensive over here in the UK?

I understand there are extra costs with bringing music to other countries, but these costs can be minimised with digital distribution.  There is no reason to charge more than twice ($5.99 at today's rates = 3.74) what it costs Americans other than pure greed.

This is why piracy happens.  I have not bought the album today, because I could not, and will not be buying it in the future.

#73 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

Because you refuse to wait?  ;)

#74 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

I have the means to buy it.  There is no impediment to me buying it.  Except they don't want me to buy it.  They want me to wait and then pay a much higher price, for no reason at all.

And I'm simply not doing it.  I'm not going along with such spiteful stupidity.

#75 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

View PostIvory, on 19th February 2005, 6:12pm, said:

piracy is so much funner when you got to wear an eye patch (and if you were really lucky) a hook for a hand!  ;)

Isn't it the unlucky pirates who lose hands lol

Anyway I'm a late comer to this thread but I'd strongly recomend the follwing video to anyone with a spare 7 mins. It covers both sides of the piracy argument and a lot of points made here already including cost, loyalty and stupid DRMs.

Anyways here it is from the team at The Escapist and it really is worth a listen!

Personally I think piracy sucks arse as it's undeniable that every time a game is pirated a company risks losing a sale. That is, a person who downloads a game therefore no longer NEEDS to buy it in order to enjoy it. Therefore the chances that they will buy it are drastcially reduced...

The flipside of this is that I actually downloaded a lot of games just before xmas to see if I liked them enough to warrant buying them or not. Some of them I loved and so purchased at full price from official distributors. Others I didn't and the games were deleted and I'll never play them again, legally or otherwise.

In this scenario a pirated game can actually serve to guarantee an additional sale by making up for the numerous games released nowadays which don't have demos. Whatever happened to demos anyway? I remember in the 90s I used to love when my dad's copy of PCBuyer arrived as it was full of good demos. It's actually the first time I played the landed cruiser mission in TFTD I believe and what do you know I then went on to buy and own that game.

So how about we bring demos back? That'll help somewhat with piracy as people like me who download games to test-drive them will no longer need to. As a result, hits on torrent sites will fall slightly and a good demo will increase sales in the game anyway. There's no easy way to beat piracy and honestly the harder they try the worse they make it for us the genuine buyers, but maybe that's why people download torrents?

Stop screwing us over with stupid account requirements, copy-protection and online gameplay and we'll stop looking for ways to get round it. Fact is, hackers have all the skills a good in-house dev team do and more so no matter how well you protect your games it's only a matter of time before they're cracked, ripped and lighting up google like a dirty little xmas tree.

Sucks but that's just how it is!

EDIT : Hey FA this thread has been dead for 2 years. What happened lol
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#76 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

I bet you still get to listen to it though...

.... ;)
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#77 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,557 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

@FA:

No, not the pretty ladies, the words, you animals.
Wha?... did you just say anything? ;)

::

They want me to wait and then pay a much higher price, for no reason at all.
Guess you're right. Lasses do have a way of doing that to ya... ;)

#78 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

Personally I think piracy sucks arse as it's undeniable that every time a game is pirated a company risks losing a sale.

To paraphrase Chris Rock, I'm not going to pirate it, but I can understand.  My options are, either wait and pay a silly amount, or pirate it.  I'm doing neither.  Regional schemes for things like games and films should have died off long ago, regional pricing should be dying off now, but it seems it's just too big a cash cow.

If 5,000 people pirate a game, does that mean 5,000 lost sales?  The companies would like you to think so, but there's no way to prove any single one of those people would have bought the game if it had not been available as a torrent or whatever.  Perhaps all of them simply wanted it for free and would never have bought it no matter what the price.  I feel that reality lies somewhere between.  A good chunk of them probably pirate it because they don't have the money, but my point is I have no proof.  This is just my opinion, not fact, and the one thing I'm not going to do is punish people because I think my opinions are facts.  Unlike, say, every company who ever sold a game.

When it comes to the indie stuff, be it film, music, games, whatever, I'll happily buy it because they don't shit all over the product and tell me it's chocolate.  Everyone got to buy World of Goo, for instance, from 2D Boy's site, same price, no taking the piss.

Someone's pirating Call of Duty and Bobby Kotick can't afford a new solid gold yacht?  Couldn't care less.

EDIT : Hey FA this thread has been dead for 2 years. What happened lol

I choked to death on my own rage.

#79 Matri

Matri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

View PostFullAuto, on 25th January 2011, 5:43am, said:

Someone's pirating Call of Duty and Bobby Kotick can't afford a new solid gold yacht?  Couldn't care less.

Oh, I'd love to see him set sail in a solid gold yacht. Preferably over the Marianas Trench.

Star Citizen.

#80 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:05 AM

I've been thinking about piracy in relation to availability, and decided that's got a lot to do with why DRM hasn't been stamped out. It's got nothing to do with long-term piracy prevention, the entire goal is to force those people who want it "as soon as possible" to buy it. The theory is that this group makes up the majority of those who'll get the game in the first place, plus launch day prices tend to exceed what people are willing to pay five months later.

That is to say, it's a stalling mechanic. If it can hold up for, say, one week, then the DRM has done its job - the majority of people who could've bought the game and wanted to have it, would've bought it within that period. The publishers care more about those initial short term sales then they do about the long term, because in the long term, sales figures are going to drop anyway (as will the prices people are willing to pay for an aging product).

This makes a bit of sense when you consider that an otherwise good game can bomb if launched at the same time as another game people perceive as better. The sales figures won't eventually "even out" over time, because the bulk of them are always racked up in the first few weeks.

With this point of view, it could even be argued that game DRM works. Many games that are touted as "cracked" on launch are only half done - for example, GTAIV had a ton of cracks floating around, most of which did let you play the game, but didn't catch all the "landmines" built into the code which caused the camera to sway around the screen randomly and any car you attempted to drive to explode within about a minute (meaning that there was no point to playing). All the cracking groups trip over themselves to be the "first" to release a crack, so no testing got done, and no working cracks got released.

Presumably some are out by now, but who cares? The bulk of the intended market will've bought the game long before that happened.

Of course, this all only applies to games and DRM. Attempts at DRM or staggered regional releases in regards to music just piss people off (which, yes, ups the piracy rate), and hence make no sense to me.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users