Piracy.

FullAuto

I recall a newspaper article I read on the RIAA's sue-ing spree. They took an elderly couple to court because they found a PC-only P2P program... on their iMac.

I'll bet if we had sent them to Iraq instead of Star they would have found WMDs, bio-labs, an illegal MP3 factory, a panda suicide bomber cloning-and-training facility, and griffins. :)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw one news clipping saying that the RIAA had won a certain case and been given permission to storm a Kazaa office, and take whatever machines they wanted to search them for pirated media. I never heard anything more of it - let's face it, why would there be any dodgy material on the kazaa boxes? That's not how P2P works.

Then you are not entitled to own a copy of the contents of that CD or DVD. It's that simple.

Well, yes, I am, because I'll go to ebay or any other shop or site that sells it cheaper than that.

BUT if it was easy and legal for everyone to download from the internet would sales drop then???

It's pretty easy to download songs, and as for legal, there are plenty of sites where you can get the music legally and pay very little, and besides, prosecution isn't exactly a likely prospect, is it? Downloading couldn't be much easier, but album sales have still increased. This kind of shows people up when they say downloading is killing the games/music/film industry.

if they cut out the middle man do you really thin prices wil drop??? im not entierly sure about that...if people are gree (as has been said before) then they will just see a bigger profit margin for themsleves as artist wont they??

Yes, prices will drop, because the artists can charge less and still make more. As a SIMPLIFIED example, Artist A releases an album while under contract with a record company and it is sold for £15 a throw. From every sale, the company gets £10, the artist gets £5. Sell a thousand copies, that's five grand to the artist and ten grand to the company. Ok?

Artist A leaves the company due to financial and moral outrage, and releases a second album off their own bat, priced at £10. Say £2 an album to cover costs, the artist makes £8 per album sold. Sell a thousand copies, thats eight grand.

The result? Cheaper music, an untainted creative process and a happy artist. Companies not only recoup costs (which is fair enough) they also like to hog the profits. Some bands have bypassed releasing CDs, and have offered their music on their website to download at low low prices.

in the past people left their doors unlocked cos people were honest.

in the past many things have happened, but they soon stop happening when people reaslise they can take advantage.

I just dont think in the long run its gonna happen. its a feeling, its not a rational explanation and i cant make it one. as i said maybe i just doubt the power of human nature to conquer over greed.

everyone is entitled to an oppinon, and I hope to be proved wrong in mine. but only time, and lots of it can do that for sure.

The internet is rendering traditional music publishers obselete in the same way that railroads made the canals obselete. Paradoxically their strong arm tactics are acellerating this process by alienating their customers.

The smarter music publishers are the ones trying to adapt to the internet by offering large numbers of relatively inexpensive downloads avaiable from one place. The profit for each song may be less, but people will simply use the money they save to buy more songs. The publisher is also released from the risk of losing money if it distributes a song that ends up doing badly in the record shops. CDs will continue but only as a fringe market (not everybody is up to date with modern technology), but the company will have the advantage of knowing what songs are popular with what type of people before the CDs are released.

I am sure that if people save money by legally downloading songs instead of buying CDs, they will almost always use the money they have saved on more consumer goods, including songs. This is because these days hardly anyone seems to beleive in saving for a rainy day.

The companies who refuse to adapt will go the same way as the companies that owned the canals, which is the way capitalism has always worked and always will.

The smarter music publishers are the ones trying to adapt to the internet by offering large numbers of relatively inexpensive downloads avaiable from one place. The profit for each song may be less, but people will simply use the money they save to buy more songs.

How is charging people to download songs going to lure them away from their ability to download them for free?

I just dont think in the long run its gonna happen.

Neither do I, but it does work out cheaper and more to the point, it does work. A single human being can be greedy, yes, and if artists did publish their own stuff they could still be greedy while selling their art at a lower price. If they wanted to. A lot of artists merely want to make a good living from their work, and why not? Being paid to do what you love? It's a license to steal, practically!

Is having a parrot on your shoulder compulsory? I don't want it to keep biting my ear and leaving its doings on my clothes. And having hooks for hands has its downside too. What happens one morning if you wake up and rub your eyes?

I had to look up swashbuckling in my dictionary. Swash is a 16th century word meaning to swagger around or weild a sword and buckle is a smoked herring (honestly!). So swashbuckling must mean to swagger around a smoked herring :huh:

swahbuckling means fistycuffs...but youll probably have to look that up too ;) I think you remove the hook when you slepp, tho i can see you point if you wake up from a mid afternoon doze on the deck and rub your eyes!!

i dont think parrots are compulsory, they make me sneeze so i wouldnt wantn one!

plus,,,i dont think those mermaids are as nice asl mr.disney made them out to be.

:huh:

I'm pretty sure that it's to do with smoked herrings. After all, the average actor is a bit of a wimp and he would prefer to eat a smoked herring to risking life and limb in battle. John Wayne was hypersensitive about his tiny litle feet :lol:

And treasure is another thing about pirates that I don't understand. They go to all that effort and risk to steal some gold from a Spanish galleon and then they just bury it on some remote island and lose the map. If they had a bit more brains they'd have spent it in the famously disreputable taverns in Port Royal. They would still have ended up broke but at least they would have had some fun in getting there.