Hey, baby, where have you been all my life?

usmarox

I've been playing UFO for 8 years, and I've only just realised the full potential of grenades. I mean, I've used the grenade chain and stuff before, but I only realised how *useful* they were for getting people out of tight scrapes this afternoon. The case in point was a very close-quarter snakeman terror site (very close quarter - the only bit of open ground was where the 'Ranger landed. All of the little alleys and stuff made mutual support a bit tricky, so I didn't bother. Alien round the corner? Don't outmaneuver it - blow it up! Wall in the way of a shot? No worries - blow it up!

Admittedly, I killed more civvies that the aliens did (with Chrysallids about I call that impressive :)), but none of mine died, and I discovered quite a neat way of scoring combat experience.

(BTW, one guy went in the with 11 kills and came out with 20. Explosive-fuelled mayhem is great :angel: )

heh, i still don't use grenades all that much. i only recently started playing ufo again after a few years, and i'm having a kinda similar experience to you tho...... i dunno how i ever managed to live without using rocket launchers to level whatever needs levelling :) high explosive all the way :)

:)  i 'have acctually never used grenades, and im sorry to say that i i never will... because i have windows XP and u cant play X-com UFO enemy unknown in windows xp, is there any1 who can help me on this???

Have you considered multiple (2) operating systems on your computer? I haven't tried it myself but I've heard it's easier than it sounds. I had a link to a guide somewhere. I'll post it if I can find it.

Cazbol

it is easier than it sounds. especially if you have win 98 (or 95) already installed/install it first.

basically what i did was repartition my hardrive using partition magic (thus not loosing the contents). then i installed win 2k onto one of the partitions. this installs a nice boot manager so now whenever i turn on hte computer it asks me if i want to boot into win 98 or win 2k.

I keep trying different tactics in different recovery sites, yesterday I had a very crowded farm (barn next to stables next to hedged orchard) and decided to pop a few synchronized alien grenades into the mix. Next turn - boom boom boom - lines of sight cleared up marvelously, with three mutons exposed. The bits of remaining building were heavy-plasma'd out of the way by those with a bad perspective so those with the good perspective could take the shot. Boom boom boom three dead mutons.

I'll mark that down as a useful tactic. Maybe fine-tune a bit, like setting for the _end_ of the alien turn (delay 1 instead of 0).

JG

Setting a grenade to 1 turn is actually quite useful in some situations.

For example, you know there's a few aliens behind this UFO door, and for some reason, one of them keeps stepping out and stepping back in again (i.e they haven't exactly seen you, but you can just see them without giving yourself away).

Throwing a 0-turn grenade will just be wasted on a closed door. But with one set to 1 turn, the alien will step out, and step back in again, and at the end of their turn, the grenade will blow up and, surprise, surprise, the auto-door'll still be open! That's not going to bode well for the alien's companions just inside the door. :)

- NKF