X-force Fight For Destiny

Gilesy

• 1 month later...

And finally it is avaible:

The X-Force V0.910 Final

It includes a complete installer with a few improvements and several bug fixes (including one that prevented a lot of research items in the galactic war from activating, so you should start a new game to get more fighter crafts and buildings).

@Admins:

When updating the project list, please remove the "frequently updated" - the work on the next version 0.915 has started a while ago, but it will take much more time to get the new features included than the bugfixing versions of the 910.

There is a small update avaible through xforce's config.exe

Please install it when possible.

The fixed error doesn't disturb the new standart gameset "galactic war" or most of the current german gamesets, but it does break the older default gameset and probably most of the selfmade-gamesets: Only gamesets with skripted UFOs could create them, the older automatic UFO creation was disabled.

That will be fixed by the update, allowing you to play the old default if you want to compare it with the new one ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

The X-Force Team is looking for additional members, including someone from the english community.

No programming skills and not even knowledge of the german language is neccessary - the details can be found in the recent news on the XForce Homepage and our forum.

Anyone interested should check there.

DirkF

• 4 weeks later...

You can post in the english area of our forum for details - www.xforce-online.de

What you can do depends on the gameset you're playing.

If you're playing "the galactic war" it will end after several weeks if you shoot down enough UFOs, but that's probably not the case here since in that case the game itself will also stop (skripting error when all UFOs are disabled, will be fixed in the next version and replaced with a proper ending message).

If you're playing the old X-Force default it depends if there were any UFOs at all - if there've been no ufos you haven't installed the newest update, please run the config.exe and access the online updater. If that update has been installed the UFOs should keep coming.

None of the gameset is complete and while they contain a lot of research, they won't have unlimited science projects. To see if you've encountered a problem or if you've simply researched all avaible we need more information.

Please post at our forum with the name of the gameset and a few examples of the last researched objects, then we can check what has happened.

ok, i followed the laser pulse weapons line as well as the satelite defence line of reasurch. I have the Puls-laser gun 2kj, Pulse laser Cannon class 2 for my crafts, Puls-laser Defence (base platform), and in the case of Satellites i have the Defense Satellites, Control (2S) for ground units, my crafts have the Auxilury Drone and Protection Drones (2 large). The craft sehields provide a combined 135 shield points. I'm Using the XF fighter.

I just started week 17 but haven't seen UFOs for 3 weeks. Litterally none.

I have the updater and have used it for V0.910 Beta. I have only ever gotten two updataes though. one for music and one for the Alliances. the updater says that it is updating for V0.910BETA4, does this make any differance?

let me know what else i can tell you to make the problem clear

oh, yes. i'm also playing the Galactic War on the highest difficulty. 4 alien types

I have the updater and have used it for V0.910 Beta. I have only ever gotten two updataes though. one for music and one for the Alliances. the updater says that it is updating for V0.910BETA4, does this make any

Then you're two updates behind. And you won't get more from that version...

The easiest way to change this is to deinstall the Beta, download the newest 0.910Final-Installerpackage and install that (don't forget to start the online-Updater again for one newer Update, current version is 0.910a).

There are other ways to get to the newest Version, but the new gameset also contains several Research-Updates (some planes, lot of base buildings) that won't be avaible without starting a new game anyway, so I would recommend the procedure above.

Or you might want to wait 2-3 weeks for the next update, I'm already working on the next gameset version with at least one additional alien race (perhaps more) with full research trees added and several changes to the skripting that controls the galactic war as well as balancing the economy. And you'll have to start again when that update becomes avaible, if you want to see the new research options...

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately there have been a lot of delays in the programming of the GalWar gameset for XForce, and I don't expect it to be finished this year.

As a result we made a small update 0.910b avaible to fix the missing credits bug and a few problems with equipping soldiers.

I hope that I will be able to send the language files for the next version of the galactic war to the translators in two or three weeks, and I'll work on the scripts of the gameset while the texts are being translated.

On the bright side - the 0.911 Update will be a lot bigger than originally planned, so keep looking for it beginning next year ;-)

• 5 months later...

It took much more time than anyone of us had estimated, but as of today the V0.911 of X-Force is finally available for download.

Due to changes in the scripting engine old savegames are no longer compatible with the new version - you have to start a new game.

But as a result you will get a lot of improvements in the program as well as in the gameset "galactic war":

- improved Geoscape Textures

- improved screen "new game"

- two new races with new technology in the galactic war

- improved UFO AI with new surprises

- a lot of new script command allowed to implement scripts to control the availability of alien artefacts, starting X-Force equipment depending on difficulty setting and more

- all script commands have been renamed to english, removing german word components

@admins:

Please Update the project list. And it would be nice if we could get a news feature ;-)

There will be a 0.912 shortly (one or two weeks), but it will contain only a few bugfixes and balancing issues - nothing comparable to the big update by 0.911.

The main reason for another version this fast after the 0.911 is the removal of the arcade mode.

It was decided years ago that the arcade mode will no longer be improved and removed before the final version, but originally we wanted to postpone the removal until we got a better simulation. Unfortunately with more changes to the main game the arcade mode produces more and more errors - too many errors to be tolerable any longer. So it will be replaced by a fast version of the simulation (for those who don't watch that any longer).

Other than that there will only be a few added messages and a few corrected values (especially increased radar capacity on some units), so anyone who started a game with the 0.911 should continue that even with the new program version.

Sorry for being late, but I updated the project list accordingly. By the way, you can submit news yourself. Go to the Strategy News subforum and make a news post (you can find the instructions in the pinned thread here). Don't worry if you don't see it in the news, it requires moderator approval. This is so we can check for any spelling errors etc.

• 2 months later...

Hi

sorry for the long time without posts - things were hectic and I simply forgot to tell about updates.

The 0.912 final has been put online several weeks ago, and we are already into the third alpha-version of the 0.915 (with the fourth alpha expected within two or three weeks).

Those of you who haven't watched our site and don't know anything about the 0.912 should check the forums first - the 0.912 introduced a lot of new enemies, including the Eariol - a race that will drop your fighter planes out of the sky like nothing if you don't know the tactics to defeat them.

That's right - it's the first race that brings tactics into the geoscape because you have to plan your approach to take them down, simply hunting them will give their special weapon too much time to recycle.

The 0.915-Alpha also contains a big upgrade - from 0.915 on the Aliens in ground combat are controlled by skripted AI, which means that they can finally receive the battle tactics and equipment they were originally designed for. No more mixed equipment or stupid behaviour...

(OK, at the moment there is only a single AI with several disadvantages - we need to find several bugs in the new ground combat before we can even think of programming different AI-Scripts for them. It is still alpha after all ;-)

Due to the incomplete scripting engine only the included version of the "Galactic War" can be played with the 915-Alpha-3, but that will also change with the next (Alpha-4) version, allowing other gamesets to be played as well.

(at the moment you need to copy several scripts if you want to make a gameset 915-compatible, but with the A4 there will be internal default scripts to take over in the case that the gameset has no AI-scripts on its own)

• 3 weeks later...

The Alpha-test on the 0.915a4 has started half an hour ago, you can find the link to the setup at the end of the German news on our homepage.

I'll write an english news about it (including a more detailed list of changes) later today or tomorrow.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

it would be nice if someone could update the status of XForce in the project list to the following entry:

X-Force: Fight for Destiny

Trial Release: v0.912f02 (stable) - Jun 10, 2008

Trial Release: v0.915b01 (beta) - May 31, 2009

;-)

The open Beta startet this morning, and compared to the last version we updated a lot of internal stuff like the AlienAI in the Ground Combat Engine, and a lot of additional scripting capacities as well as options to allow gameset creators the use of scripts without knowing how to script themselves.

The tutorial gameset is now translated into english, but several of the new options in the galactic war are still on the to-do for translators. But the gameset was completely translated for the 0.912, so it should still be playable for english gamers during the Beta, and we will have the translations finished before we declar it final.

What else is new?

We improved the connections between Geoscape and Battlescape, allowing them to interact - the Xeltaan are the first (and currently only) race in the galactic war who now have (new) fixed UFO map designs locked to their UFOs, so that each UFO has the same structure (with still random areas around them), and your actions in Battlescape partially affect the gameplay in Geoscape (no, we don't charge for collateral damage in villages - yet)

A few new animations and the ability to set graphics for the aliens and UFOs will help improve gameplay, and we started to make it easier for gameset creators to enter their own ground combat missions (still needs scripting but it's a start)

The updated AI in Battlescape required us to rebalance the equipment - for example the Aliens now check their to-hit-chance and will no longer empty their weapons on long distances. That will start making the ground combat more challenging, and as soon as the Battlescape has proven itself we will start to make different AIs available - the same way as different UFO-AIs for the Geoscape can now be set by buttons instead of scripting.

As everyone around here for some time should know by now - development of X-Force is slow due to our small team, but it continues and new versions are usually worth the wait ;-)

DirkF

X-Force Coordinator

Gameset Creator "The Galactic War"

Just a quick info in case you get an crash when starting the program:

One of the new functions collides with the Windows regional settings. If you're living in a country where the dot signals the decimal value (instead of a comma like in Germany), you'll get an error message on starting the game.

It's already fixed for the Beta-2, but it will be a short time until we release that one, we want to wait for a few error reports first.

There is a workaround by changing the Windows regional settings before starting X-Force:

You need to change the number and calculation settings to recognise 0,5 (instead of 0.5) as a number.

• 2 weeks later...

Current Beta version is 0.915b03 from 13 jun 2009

The problem with windows regional settings has been solved, the game works in all countries (again)

Many of the ground combat crashes have also been solved, unfortunately with the side effect of aliens getting a full extra turn when they should get only a reaction turn for a single unit. We're working on that ;-)

If you install the B03-Setup, please use the online-updater to get a small update for the Galactic War - that solves two skripting errors that would otherwise cause the game to crash in the later stages of the story.

Those interested can now find a screenshot of the new map mentioned in the Beta-1 post above on our site:

www.xforce-online.de

It's the latest screenshot at the left side in the bottom area.