X-com:tftd Problem...

Nutguy

After a long time I decided to play X-Com again (I've tried to finish the game twice and I was always getting stuck due to the research tree) only to find out things have changed a lot... Last time I even tried to install the game I had Win98 OS and now with the XP... arghhhhh!!!!

I've tried to use a DOS emulator (DOSbox v 6.1) but, depending on the installation mode (more on that later on) I can't get past the language screen.

Installation mode 1: Directly from the CD. So, I install the files, cdspeed run smoothly, setup screen appears I set my soundcard as a SBPro (Port 220, IRQ:7, DMA:1, channels 4), the game loads, the language screen appears and when I select one (English) it's all over... Instead of a DOSbox I now have a blackbox (completely black DOS window).

Installation mode 2: Copy the CD to the Harddrive and install from there. Same as before except that there is no CDspeed check of course, and that the DOSbox window freezes at the sound initialization window. I'm shown my sound selection (the one I've setup from setup.exe) and that's as far as it goes... I've tried fiddling with the sound options but even no sound at all won't do.

So... any ideas 'cause I'm all fresh out of them?

And by the way, can someone give me a working link for the tftdv2 patch?

Thanx in advance!

As long as you own the game, I think the easiest solution would be to download the windows version *removed*. I do not know if this is legal or not though, so do so at your own risk. The whole abandonware issue is kind of a "grayzone", so it's hard to tell if it's legal or not. Personally I think it's okay as long as you own a original copy of the game, but...

Well, I do own the game so, if it is possible I'd like to explore my options with the DOSbox before dabbling with downloadable versions of something I already own... I mean it can't be that hard right? Just a few setting changes here and the and I should be able to play it...

Thanx anyway though :)

You are probably right, should be very possible to run it in Dosbox. I have no experience with it though, so I can't help you there. The advantage with the version of the game I pointed you too though, is that it's made to be run in Windows. Should be more stable no matter what I guess.

As I said BB, it's a grayzone. Not sure I should provide the link, but it's a shame that people who want to play the game again should have to struggle with programs like Dosbox when there's a perfectly working version available. And since he owns the game, and Atari haven't provided a proper update for his DOS version, why shouldn't he use the updated version?

But because I'm not sure it's legal I'll remove the links again. Still bothers me though :)

Well, maybe some of the comments here helps? Guess you've seen them already though. How about testing the latest version of DOSBox found here. Or asking in the DOSBox forum, as they are more qualified to answer your question. If you search for X-Com there, you'll get 5 pages of results. Take a look.

Besides that I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I have no experience with the program :)

Well, actually it was simple and I was an idiot... :) When I wrote in my starting post that I tried several sound setups I didn't mentioned that this was done only in the installation mode 2. So, for some reason no matter what sound settings I used, if the game wasn't installed from the CD it simply refused to play. And when I installed it directly from the cd I was setting the IRQ of my sound card to 7 (IRQ:7) which was what the dosbox window was starting with (SETBLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4). Well, on the dosbox site I found out that I should set the IRQ value to 5.

Well, after installing another age old game I have (TIE fighter. Quite a nostalgia attack this last week but while I'm waiting for BF2 I 've got to do something!!!), I noticed that the auto sound setup of the installation set the card's IRQ to 7. I'm able to run both games in the same DOSbox session (i.e one after another) with no problems... So I've come to this conclusion (which is also implied on the DOSbox site). Seems like each game "requires" it's own IRQ value to run under DOSbox. And since I don't own a SB anymore and my actuall card's IRQ value is 17, I think that what DOSbox sets as an IRQ value on its startup is just for show...

Or maybe I'm talking BS here and I'm a noob :lol:

Sorry lads but whats Dosbox? Can i use it to play 16 bit games on XP?

Indeed you can. Take a look at the game list here.

On a sidenote, if you like adventure games you should also take a look at my personal favourite, ScummVM. You can run a lot of neat adventures with it, and download a great game like Beneath a Steel Sky for free (it's legal)! Flight of the Amazon Queen is also good! Me likes! :)