Dawn Of War

Aralez

I used to love the randomness of that teleport gun. I played 40K almost everyday about 15 years ago and the orks were my favorite side, ive got out of some scrapes sacrificing some runts in the shock attack gun and even taking out a bunker with it, something along the lines of if you rolled a six (if you where lucky enough to hit the bunker at all) the runts landed inside some ammo boxes in the bunker and blew it to pieces :confused: , and I often took down a dreadnaught with it as the runts would teleport into the gears and clog it all up with mangled body parts. Fun days im a little gutted I dont enjoy playing the table top game like I used to, im hoping my daughter gets into it as ive got thousands of miniatures sitting in my loft.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once did a deal with an ex-player like you (in that he had shit loads of models), I swapped one Space Wolves novel for a HUGE box of about 300 Space Wolves, including Leman Russ himself oO

I haven't played for a little while, due to the relative paucity of players in my area, apart from the odd guys who inhabit the local GW store, wearing black trench coats and generally being strange.

lol I think they breed them somewhere as the guys In games workshop near me are a little odd and you half suspect to see them on crime watch one day because they flipped and decided to take a machete to work with them :grr: other than that, there nice friendly bunch of people :confused: . I cant believe that guy swapped all the models for a novel, I wish I had met the fella first, Ive got the Leman Russ model with his two wolf brothers but ive got to say that 300 models for a novel is a bargain.

Yeah i got lucky, and most of them are pewter, old style wolves covered with fur tabards and little gubbins that one doesn't find on the plastics so much (although the new SMs for 4th edition have been exceptional with all the induvidual armour and extras) Thing is i'm a Blood Angels player at heart, so most of the wolves are still in that box in roughly the same condition I got them.

You dont happen to have the space wolf dreadnaught Bjorn the fell handed do you. I always fancied having that model in my collection as ive got all the other major space wolf characters of old.

*puts on a large suit of armour beofre saying this*

I diiiiiddddd ... but I erm... sort of. chopped it up with a hacksaw to scavenge parts for my Blood Angels Dreadnought.

*runs way rather quickly*

:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Ive mentioned it before on the old website and dow post but has anyone played Chaos Gate recently that wh40k game which is turn based and is a great little game. I got mine in a budget twinpack with the wh40k epic game final liberation. I found it in a woolworths budget bin for 2 quid about 5 years ago. Im mentioning it not only because it has loose ties to this post and is a turn based stratagey game which is what this website is partially about, but mainly because im curious if anyone has come across any modding facilitlies for it on there tour through the web. I think I found a spacehulk conversion for it once and i will have another good look soon as I intend to play it once ive finished with ufo aftermath again :confused:

By the way shagpuss if you read this post it has those infamous chaos cultists in it who are constantly shouting *for chaos* it would be intresting to see wether we could get them in the chaos smurf colours.

If they did turn down blizzard I hadnt heard of it but I suppose it's easily possible, Chaos gate was developed by Random games and mindscape I think, and even though it pales in comparison to xcom I think it's worth a look especially if your a GW adict. Its a turn based stratagy game where you get to increase the skills of your men as time goes by, and as you play more missions you have more weapons and squads at your disposal. Nothing new but a good little format and even though the side missions can be a little tedious standing there in terminator armour blasting away at a bloodthirster is a fun way to pass a few evenings. It's a little old now as it was released in 1998 but for it's age I think it's quite playable so it might be worth grabbing it if you see it on a shelf for a few quid (mind you I am biased being a wh40k adict myself).

What chapter are you lumped with? Loyalist?

If you mean in the game I think it's the Ultra marines but you get to kit them out with your own choice of weapons just look out for the imperial containers in the missions as they give extra ammo and new and improved weapons. Once you have the master crafted plasma pistol and master crafted bolt pistol amongst other addons your assault squad becomes much more fun to use.

I can't believe there still isn't a decent squad based tactial shooter for WH40K - it seems like such an bovious use of the license...

I would have to agree with you, there are so many uses it could be put to, they could even make an RPG similar to perhaps the fallout games.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dawn of War and now Winter Assault are right up there at the top of my favorite Strategy Game list. The game is just totally awesome. And, if you can find Aralez and his maps, it makes Winter Assault all that much better.

Too bad Aralez is no longer at this forum, or this thread would be really hot right now!! As it is now, DOW and Winter Assault don't have the presence here on this forum that they deserve.

I just find DOW and Aralez's maps and all the things you can do so much more interesting than Battle for Middle Earth and at least as good as C&C Generals, my other Strategy Game favorites. DOW Winter Assault brings back memories of Starcraft, WarCraft III, and Total Annihilation all rolled into one. And, now there are five factions, which adds even more depth to the Dawn of War game. I also liked and replayed the Single Player Campaign in DOW, and the Single Player Campaigns in Winter Assault were great too.

If you like real time strategy, user created mods and user created maps, and multiplayer and single player skirmish mode, DOW is right up there at the top of the list in my opinion. Great stuff. If strategy is at the core of your desires, then Dawn of War deserves your attention.

Go out and find where Aralez is hiding, and it makes the DOW experience all that much better. Especially look for NewTom maps at FilePlanet. Aralez (or NewTom) and others have some really interesting maps there. And Aralez is active on the Relic forum, so sign in and respond and participate and give Aralez some much deserved feedback. His maps are really good, and he has done a lot of them. And I'm sure that with a little feedback, he would make his maps even better or maybe even make a map specifically for you according to your needs and desires. Aralez is very talented, and yes, it's a shame he got driven away from here.

Slaughter asked me for a follow up report, and I remembered. So, now you have my impressions and all that I have in order to get maximum enjoyment out of the game. The previous go around Aralez was the key to enjoyment of DOW, and I get the sense that he and the other map and mod makers will also be the key to prolonged enjoyment of Winter Assault as well. FilePlanet (or filefront) and Relic's forum.

https://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?p=1175933

https://dawnofwar.filefront.com/

BTW, the Relic Forum isn't nearly as nice or easy to use as this forum. A lot of lag and goofy distractions and annoying popups interaction or dialog boxes on the Relic Forum. But, Aralez is there and not here, and DOW is there and not here, so you do what you must.

I recently got Winter Assault myself, and the first impression is very good! I only played the first singleplayer map with the Imperial Guard however, so it's a bit early to say.

Anyway, thanks for the report Lurker! I look forwards to playing through Winter Assault, and maybe test a few multiplayer maps after that. Good to hear Aralez is still into mapping.

• 5 months later...
I LOVE DAWN OF WAR!!!!!!

I want winter assult cuz I don't have it!

Does anyone here play Warhammer 40,000? :lovetammy:

I used to play Warhammer 40k but it was a great many years ago. I was more into Adeptus Titanicus and Space Marine anyway. I was quite good at painting the minatures though, won a region final into the Golden Demon awards once......

Er, anyway enough nostalgia. I'd forgotten I had Dawn of War (It's been lent to a mate at the moment) Is Winter Assult worth getting?

Anyone?

Er, anyway enough nostalgia. I'd forgotten I had Dawn of War (It's been lent to a mate at the moment) Is Winter Assult worth getting?

I didn't play too far yet, but I'd say yes. If you enjoy DoW, Winter Assault is more of the same with some nice additions.

I LOVE DAWN OF WAR!!!!!!

I want winter assult cuz I don't have it!

Does anyone here play Warhammer 40,000? :lovetammy:

I used to play Warhammer 40k but it was a great many years ago. I was more into Adeptus Titanicus and Space Marine anyway. I was quite good at painting the minatures though, won a region final into the Golden Demon awards once......

Anyone?

Cool!

What ure real name?

Send me a PM

Cool!

What ure real name?

Send me a PM

I don't play any more I'm afraid. I was talking about 15-16 years ago now when I did, I sold most of my games and minatures in car boot sales. I wouldn't have the time these days either, work and girlfriend see that my time is neatly organised with a minimum of time to spend on what I want to do :lovetammy: