Introductions!

Slaughter

Righty, since we have turned into a "new" site I think it's time for a new round of introductions. My name is Olav, and I currently reside in a city called Stavanger, Norway. I have studied computer science, and are currently studying economics. Studies are mostly an excuse to do the things I like to, like running the Aftermath site :(

Well, some time ago I started running Pete's Aftermath site. I've been doing so for well over a year now, and felt that it was time to expand. So Pete and myself put our heads together and came up with StrategyCore. Well, I guess Pete had thought about it for a while already, but he sometimes needs a friendly push in the back :(

So Pete have done a magnificent job putting together this forum and large parts of the new site. We're about to start transferring the site content of X-Com.co.uk and UFOAftermath.co.uk, and should be up and running again in a few weeks tops.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic in the off topic forum :cry:. Besides computer games I am very fond of P&P RPGs, books and alcohol. I used to do quite a bit of sports as well, but now I mostly end up watching it on TV. That's pretty much it I guess.

Then some personal favourites in books, games and RPGs. Games:

- X-Com series obviously (UFO, TFTD and Apocalypse)

- Fallout (1 & 2)

- Master of Magic

- Colonization

- Deus Ex

- Rune (multiplayer that is)

Books:

- The Hobbit and LOTR by J. R. R. Tolkien

- Salvatore's Dark Elf books

- Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn

- George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

- Most of the books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman like this.

- Many more!

P&P RPGs:

- MERP, Rolemaster, Shadow World and HARP by Iron Crown Enterprises.

- World of Darkness games like Vampire, Werewolf and Mage.

- Dungeons and Dragons.

- Many others.

Okay, that was it for me. Hope the rest of you will follow with a introduction of your self and your favourite games and/or books and/or RPGs :(

I am the Ego. The Ego Terrorist. I am the shadow, the voice in your head, the bringer of topics such as Word Association, the leader of the We Love Tammy Club, I am Ego-Incarnate.

Okay...yeah well, in the real world I'm a 19 year old Philosophy student currently in Preston in the UK, and when I'm not there, I'm home in Cumbria, in the small village of Edenhall. I first stumbled across X-Com.co.uk about 3 or 4 years ago, and then I stumbled across a copy of the Collectors edition of X-Com in the bargin bin in PC World. And thus I took up residence in the forum. All I have to say about XTC - cheers Pete!

Favourite Games - With most games I often find my self modding and patching a game until it reaches a point at which I love it to bits, and with some games I mod them until the game doesn't work properly. The first 5 are games that I always seem to come back to, the next set of games are my current favourites.

X-Com

CivIII (Conquests and PTW expansion packs, and the Bigger Better Worlds mod pack and the farm mod.)

Operation Flashpoint. (Addons and Mods galore!)

Master of Orion II

Stars!

Morrowind (I spent three full days playing it on my laptop.)

Halo (Crap! How the hell did I miss such a good game!)

Rome Total War

FS2004

Splinter Cell

Favourite Books.

Nights Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton. (The Reality Disfunction, Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God) - Excellent Series

Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin J Anderson. (Hidden Empire, Forest of Stars, Horizon Storms) - Not as good as the Nights Dawn Trilogy, but an enjoyable read.

Drenai Saga - by David Gemmel (Search for them at your local bookshop, too many to list, but the first one was the best in my opinion https://www.drenai.com/ )

Starship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein. - Much better than the movie, but the movie was cool.

The Forever War - a good read, worth picking up.

RPGs

Erm...Play By EMail Sims set in the Star Trek universe

And X-Com Alliance Sim!

Does Warhammer 40k Count? :(

Favourite Sci-Fi:

Stargate SG-1. It kicks ass.

PC Games of 2005/2006 that I'm looking forward to are the following:

Star War Knights of the Old Republic 2

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

Black and White 2

FALLOUT 3!! (OMG!!!)

Battle Field 2

Operation Flashpoint 2 (2006)

X2: The Return

(When the hell did the whole Strategy Core thing happen?!)

Hi all, my name's Pete and I'm one of those few people who go about the internet using their own name. 99% of the time this has to do with lack of imagination and I'm sad to say that I'm with the majority there :(

I started building websites over 5 years ago now, and X-COM.co.uk was my second attempt at a fan-based website for a gaming series I was and still am really into. It's stood the test of time over the years, occasionally succumbing briefly to a server attack (hey, it's what happens when you get so popular people want to shut you down... or something :().

UFO Aftermath was he second website I built, and through lots of laziness left it to Slaughter to run (much to his continued enjoyment and delight :cry:).

As he has mentioned above, we embarked on a bold mission at a snail's pace... well... a snail with a limp anyway, to build the best community-based strategy gaming site out there - hence Strategy Core!

I enjoy playing strategy games, recently getting back into Transposrt Tycoon (especially with the OpenTTD files that allow proper server-based internet play!) and thoroughly enjoying the really great wartime-sci-fi squadbased games - Silent Storm and Silent Storm: Sentinels.

More to follow! :(

I'm Hankosha, A 17 year old Male who works at Tim Hortons.

Favorite books:

Too many to list.

Mostly Sci-fi and Fantasy

Favorite Games:

Too many to list.

Mainly Rpg, Shooters, fighting games, strategy, adventure, etc.

Favorite Animes:

Currently Hooked on:

Naruto,

Trigun

Cowboy Bebop

Last Exile

I'm still lost as to why this happened.

I'm sorry Pete. I just come here for the Fan-fic and the Love Nest, and the off-topic chat.

im Ivory, ive ben around on the off topic window for a bit...tho i think im gonna have to call it a day. No Politics! I am a strong believer that politics enters every part of life. are social politics ruled out too??

I hope to see you guys soon for an interesting exchange of views, but if not, it was fun :(

I'm Matt. 25 years old and I live in the UK. I used to hang out in the UFO:A Love Nest forum (*WE LOVE TAMMY* :cry: ).

I'm also the one that hosts Aralez's Dawn of War website. (A fact that I like to regularly remind him of :( )

Games I Play:

Battle For Middle Earth

Civ 3

Rome Total War

EVE: Online

Sims 2

UFO:Aftermath (occasionaly)

Currently reading the third book in the Red Mars series (Red Mars, Blue Mars, Green Mars). It's a good book series that I would recomend to anyone interested in Mars.

Currently wating for:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Looking to be an excelent open ended FPS game.

Brthers In Arms - Fantastic looking FPS WW2 game with some Strategy elements.

We will also remove any post relating to politics - if you wish to have a political discussion, please do so on the BBC's website at BBC.co.uk

Ah, gotta laugh at that. :lol:

I'm Bomb Bloke. I go around and complain at the state of the smily collection, and every now and then, update it.

When the forum software is working, that is. Stupid write permissions. :(

That all started when we lost the yellow smilies... Well, sorta... But they are back now. I guess I still need to throw in the X-Com related ones, though.

But I digress.

I play older games, half because I don't like newer games, and half because my machine won't run newer games. Not that I have time for games anyway; I spend most of my computing time looking at code these days.

I am me. Me am I and it are am I, you is not I so I am me. Make sense? No? Good, that about sums it up. :(

Really though, I am the guy that spends more time thinking about and discussing games than actually playing them. I am the Great Procrastinator of Glowing Terror-like Doom™. You cannot imagine how many games I've got that I've started and never finished... (okay, so I may have finished them at least once...)

I'm also the guy that unfortunately ends up typing a three page answer for a simple question like "What is your name?" from time to time.

Interests? All sorts, really.

Books, literature, TV? What do I like? Well, it can range from fantasy to sci-fi to comedy (preferably all together or in various combinations). Closet animé buff (My poor wallet, woe is it!), and still collects the occasional toy (only if it's good or it holds immense nostalgic value!).

Music? If it sounds good, it's okay by me. Genre is meaningless if I don't like it.

Current games I'm actively procrastinating with (or rather, going back and forth between in between gaps when I'm not at work, eating, visiting web forums or sleeping) before going back to the rest of my unfinished games:

Arcanum

Ground Control

Homeworld

Morrowind (and its expansion packs)

Halo (haven't even opened it yet - blasted PC requirements - just ogling the box for now)

Metroid Fusion

Current books half-read or half-re-reading:

The first book in the Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenenant (100 pages in and I get the impression that cardboard can provide an endless supply of mild enjoyment - too much angst, lacking in good bits. )

Lords and Ladies (A Discworld novel - totally enjoying this and all the way and out the other side)

The Discworld Almanak (Got to get a strong nail...)

Going Postal (Yet another Discworld novel - yes, it's quite obvious I like the series)

Current pet projects:

Millions. Can't remember where any of them end or any of them begin. That's how disorganised I am.

What the heck does NKF mean? I am the Nuclear Kite Fetcher. Just my initials, but you can attach any meaning you want to it.

Who's this NFK guy everyone's referring to? Dunno, but the chap keeps stealing my thunder - wobbly metal sheets and everything.

Why do I ramble on so? I don't know.

- NKF

And guess what? I'm still alive too!!!! Frequently though my visits are I still drop in whenever I can but I know you guys already :(

I'm TJ and I'm a Brit in the Air Force. I'm at my trade training base in Wales and it sucks which makes me love you guys even more! :(

Looking at the list of games and books here frankly fills my head with far to much information to logically compute so I'm going to keep this short and simply plaguerise everyone elses posts!

(Yes I realise that's probably spelt wrong but you try and get it right without using Word!)

Cool computer games this year were Rome Total War which I completed and can't now continue on to world domination :(

Morrowind is awesome and an addiction thanks to you Tammy my dear... :cry:

Needless to say I can't list the rest as I've almost tripled my no. of games since I got to this base. I have an entire military locker full of them now! Just spent a grand on a new pc too so I'm feeling poor :S

Books are cool, I like books as they reminds me how to read on a daily basis. Terry Pratchett is cool as I just said in Pete's thread but you can't beat Lord of the Rings. The movies rule too.

I come here for the fic and for Tammy so we should keep up both of those things and I'll keep visiting regularly!

Good luck with your new home guys!

Fullauto, resident idiot and fanfic writer.

Between struggling to keep my own Agents fic going, contributing to the main X-Com fic, reading the SF Masterworks series (excellent stuff), working my new job, playing with my iPod, watching numerous films and listening to about a dozen new albums a week, I like to come on here and annoy people. Not intentionally, it's just that my particular brand of lowbrow humour and absolute addiction to frivolity gets right up some people's nose. So remember, kids, if I do get on your nerves, just relax. It's the internet. For all you know, I don't even really exist. :(

Dang Full Auto... Did anyone ever tell you how annoying you are? I don't know if it's your particular brand of lowbrow humour or your absolute addiction to frivolity but it gets right up my nose! You get on my nerves dude, I just can't relax... Even though I know it's just the internet and you probably don't even really exist... That's how annoying you are! :o

My name is Marc, everyone knows that since Slaughter posted my name in the news section without asking if I minded it! Did I moan, nah, cos i'm too nice for that! But now I just have.. DOH!

We seem to have alot in common here, but here is an aperitif...

Recent Fave Books...

Stephen Kings The Dark Tower series (ACE!)

RA Salvatore's The Hunters Blade trilogy

RA Salvatore's War Of The Spder Queen series

FHM Girls of 2005 (Hubba)

Fave Films....

Aliens

LOTR series

The Labyrinth (Who's goin to admit that!)

Fave Games.....

DOW Multiplayer

Galatic Civilsations

CS (although this is waning as I get older.... :( )

Runescape (Just recently discovered)

Thats a slice of me.

FullAuto Lowbrow humor and frivolity you say? Nice to meet you!!

If anybody was wondering, I picked my username before I found out what a troll is in forum usage of the word :( I had intended to name myself after the accountants in the Dilbert comic strips. Being a beancounting troll who lives under a bridge, I tend not to be up to date with the latest fashions.

My favorite games (not counting Aftermath and X-COM) are Medieval Total War, Colonization and Star Trek: Birth of the Federation.

My favourite authors are Terry Pratchett, John Wyndham and Suetonius.

I generally like sci-fi films, but only if the science is credible. My favourite television programmes are Hancock's Half Hour, Dads Army, The Simpsons, Stargate, Star Trek and any historical documentary.

My hobbies include nit picking, astronomy, fishkeeping and being the only Reading FC supporter in Wales.

Hi I' Xzarr , Real name Paul :( 18 years old , I used to lurk about on ufo-aftermath.co.uk

I've been a big fan of Xcom since the Enemy unknown and I've purchased every single one of the games since then (Including the email game £1 :cry:)

New site looks great

My favorite type of book is fantasy ofc :)

-Lotr

-Anything by david gemmel (druss -.-\/)

-Mallorean and the Belgariad! :(

Favorite Games:

- X-Com series ofc

- Fallout (1 & 2 & Tactics)

- Star trek : Botf - good site for it here!

- Colonization

- Deus Ex

- Runescape (sad I know :()

- Counterstrike (Admin on a great server (Uk based) Here

(Yes I did copy some of slaughters post <_< Apparently hes just like me)

Rpg games online

NWN Only 1 I own <_<

TV

Well stargate and the like and ofc battlestar galactica (old and new)

Thats about it really.

• 2 weeks later...
Dang Full Auto... Did anyone ever tell you how annoying you are? I don't know if it's your particular brand of lowbrow humour or your absolute addiction to frivolity but it gets right up my nose! You get on my nerves dude, I just can't relax... Even though I know it's just the internet and you probably don't even really exist... That's how annoying you are!

Oh nice one, Vet. Now I'm going to be labeled a troll and evicted. Ta very much! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm late to the introductions, but what's new? I tend to be an on-again, off-again poster based on workload and the various happenings in life offline and away from work. My work is a mix of contracting (consulting) for IT solutions, and lecturing at local universities (usually not at the same time). What this means is that I'm either working 90 hour weeks, or absolutely not at all, at any given time. When I have time to play games, I have a *lot* of time to play games. :-)

Currently I'm teaching, but it's exam season, so my workload is cut in half. I've also completed my volunteer work (well, except the occasional database help) for tsunami aid in Southeast Asia. Now I've returned to the forums--surprised to discover the new format--and slowly getting caught up on the latest XCOM series "news".

For computer games, I tend to go for the ones that have the best gameplay. I'm unimpressed by graphics and sound, at least beyond the initial "wow". My favourite games are the first XCOM UFO, Dungeon Keeper, Master of Magic, Elder Scrolls 2 - Daggerfall, Diablo 1, and Civilization. I play many, many other games though, when I have the time and patience. My current addiction is Morrowind because I can't go online to play Dark Age of Camelot. Neither is a favourite, but both are worthwhile to play.

My favourite books are actually favourite authors. Marion Zimmer Bradley, Mary Renault, George R.R. Martin, Hermann Hesse, Stephen Dunn, and of course Tolkien. Again, I read many, many others. I'm currently reading the first book of a Mercedes Lackey series (Mage Storms) but I'm not really impressed yet.

Roleplaying is Earthdawn. I play others, I love the concept of other worlds, but I have only the one favourite. I'm not currently playing any game, and I miss it. DMing a D&D 3rd, and haven't yet figured out what all the hype is about. Other than the open license, which was brilliant.

I wargame when I can find players, which is very rare. I also play a few collectible card games, and various "standard" games like chess, Monopoly, gin rummy, Scrabble, and whatever else my friends don't mind getting beat at...

------

I'm thinking of disbanding my "Zeno" handle and taking on a new name. It seems you see a Zeno on every forum, yet they're never me. Besides, the name's worn thin after 7 years of useage, especially when it started as a temporary chatting handle one bored afternoon. I think it's time I found something unique. :-)

--Zeno

hi all. like pete, i don't have a nickname or alias that i use on forums. i'm 16-turning-17, and i enjoy retro games due to similar conditions to BB, but i just got a new computer, so i might venture out into modern gaming. i enjoy reading, even though i suck at writing. i havn't done any good reading for a while though. i hail come from australia, though i was born in hong kong (you probebly figured that i was asian from my name). i'm proud that i'm both aussie and asian.

favorite games are X-com, battletech series (only 2 and 3 though--never played the first one, or the ones after 3), and anything else in my drawer. i just started playing acrade initial d, though its really expensive over here in australia ($2 for a game!!!! it cost $2 in HK!!!). i started when i visited HK.

manga/anime i enjoy watching:

initial d (both anime and manga)

anything from studio ghibli (dunno fi thats spelt right).

misc web comics such as megatokyo

oh, and i also used to play runescape, so if you want my account, just ask. i have full addy (i think) and a fair amount of runes, for someone who doesn't use magic.

I'm thinking of disbanding my "Zeno" handle and taking on a new name.  It seems you see a Zeno on every forum, yet they're never me.  Besides, the name's worn thin after 7 years of useage, especially when it started as a temporary chatting handle one bored afternoon.  I think it's time I found something unique.  :-)

--Zeno

I check roughly ten forums, and I've only seen one Zeno. :lol:

Anyways, it seems us admins can change usernames on accounts. Not something I've tested, mind, but should you want your old account tweaked (rather then creating a whole new one), don't hesitate to ask. The worst that can happen is that I blow up a username you don't want anymore. :huh:

Bomb Bloke --

You mean I can keep my oh-so-important post count of 43 after hanging here for 2 years? :huh:

But seriously, I may actually take you up on the offer when I get around to renaming myself. After 7 years it isn't a high priority; just something I'm thinking I might do one day.

Maybe I should join the 9 other forums you check, just to make a splash before disappearing? :lol: Then I can see if all of them will also take the trouble to change my account username!

Thanks for the info and the offer, and I'll let you know one day!

--Zeno

And I'm Alexander, from Umeå (Sweden). Nice to meet you ;)

I'm basically what Slaughter said, minus that I have studied economy and am now studying compsci (not kidding. This is almost scary) :D

I like tabletop RPGs (All Flesh Must Be Eaten is the only "global" one I'm into, otherwise it's just a few swedish ones <Eon, Neotech>), reading (anything and everything. Favorite book: Fight Club, favorite author: Bret Easton Ellis), writing, american whisky, and believe it or not - studying :huh: And of course, computer games (in the style of X-Com/U:AM/Daggerfall) ;)

I also run a forum, which takes a lot of time and effort, and finally I love zombie/splatter movies and emotional down-to-earth anime (watch 'Hajime no Ippo' if you haven't!) :lol:

I think I mentioned writing, but by that I mean novels and actually an own RPG ;) so no deep poetry or anything. But I and a friend did once write a thing - in swedish - about a hamster in the microwave, and I got it translated by an american friend known as Twisted_Ferret. Here it goes:

In the microwave oven a little hamster sat

Jumped right in there to hide from the cat

It was really cute; how unfortunate that

punching in a minute kinda made it go splat

Poor dead hamster, pretty funny to look at

But now my shrink wants to have a chat

:lol:

And - nice forum ;) hope noone minds if I stick along and post some sick poetry every now and then ;)

I've never been a poetry fan, but that was neat! :lol: How about one describing the cousin of the donkey with that nice name? ;) Regarding your studies, taste in music and so on, that's almost scary! :huh: What sort of RPG and novels are you writing? And what forum do you run?