Working on a new fanfic

Accounting Troll

When you start leaning about the Reticulans in a game, one of the glossary articles states that the Reticulans have been a spacefaring civilisation for thousands of years. The galaxy is known to be over ten billion years old, so that would mak the Reticulans one of the youngest spacefaring races in the galaxy. This has given me an idea for a new fanfic.

It will be set around 2030. Humanity rejected the Reticulan offer and went on to defeat the Reticulans. The world has began to recover but it still faces enormous problems, including the fact that the military doesn't have the resources to completely wipe out the transgenants and the Biomass. The Old Greys have arrived and they have rebuilt the Qport, opening the galaxy up to humanity. They are doing what they can to help, but they are pessimistic about repairing the environmental damage caused by the Fall.

The main character will be a police officer who discovers a dead body with the same DNA as the World President who is apparently still alive and well. He has to find out who cloned the President and why. Is it a group of humans using alien technology to take over the government, surviving rebel Reticulans, the Old Greys, or a new alien race with imperialistic ambitions? During his investigation, which will take him to a different solar system, he will learn a great deal about the relationship between the Reticulan factions and the Reticulans and their more advanced neighbours. This will be very much a murder mystery type of story with very little combat, but it will explore how human society has evolved in the years after the failed invasion.

What I'm concerned about is that it is going to be inconsistent with the official Altar storyline which has humanity accept the offer, or my previous Interregum story. On the other hand, when Aftershock is released, the plotline is unlikely to have many similarities to Interregum either. Do you guys think I should go ahead with this story? If I do, it will probably be ready to be posted around the beginning of March.

• 1 month later...

A bit slower than I anticipated. I've worked out how human society would evolve in the generation after taking the lunar base. I've only managed to complete a couple of chapters though.

The political situation in the years after the Old Grey fleet arrives is going to be central to my story, and political gain is going to be the motive of the conspiracy. I'm finding this a bit difficult to write because I don't want it to look like a critism of any of the modern political situations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...