Yoooooo Joe!!

BentonGrey

Yooooo Joe! Hey guys, I just posted this on the main S2 site, but someone said that there were people over here who might like to see it, so here goes:

Howdy guys! I'm Grey, I'm new to the boards here. I've been working on making a mod for a game called Freedom Force for the last few months, but it looks like I've found a better fit for our work. We're making a GI JOE mod, and I'm just curious if there are any fans of the old show or comics hanging around here? My mesher and I have just about agreed that Silent Storm would be perfect for a JOE mod, so after we wrap up our work on FF, we'll probably be moving our efforts over here.

I just thought I'd say hey, and see if there might be anyone out there looking to join our ranks, or just in taking a look at a bit of what we've been working on .

I do have a couple questions though, I have spent a couple minutes skimming around the boards, and I've seen a lot of cool stuff, but I must admit that I haven't even begun to search through all the different threads, so if this information is posted somewhere, pleas forgive my ignorance .

1.) There are six PC classes available in the game, right? Is there a way to create another class, i.e. Ninja? This would be extremely useful for the likes of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, as I have a feeling that 'Scout' won't quite cut it

2.) What is the scripting like for this game, I don't mean to ask for a really detailed description, but is it relatively easy to pick up?

3.) What are the poly count limits for the characters?

4.) And last but not least........what do y'all think, give me a little feedback, "Great idea", "I've been waiting for this", "Get lost", you know, something along those lines!

Now, this will be a full conversion, with an original campaign and as many of the original JOES and Cobras as we can POSSIBLY manage to cram into it. Anyone interested? 8)

Quoting myself from the Nival's forum in respose of the same thread you posted there:

"Yeah, great idea!!!  8)  I suggested this time ago in a mod suggestion thread and i've spent some time with the character creation menu and the editor trying to recreate GI-Js/cobras personnel with some decent results, and i was trying also to create a story to justify the WW2 timeline (read: to use all the S2 existent stuff 'cause i'm not able to model modern weapons...), a thing like Commander Cobra building another weapons-of-world-domination that blows up during a GIJs strike and kicks the soldiers 64 years ago... here Cobras stick with the Axis (Commander Cobra becoming the Furer's hidden counselor) and obviously GIJs join the Allies... but looks like you guys will allow me to be lazy and just wait for your work to be done  :(  

Keep up with this mod plz, and be sure to insert Flint.

Oh, and sorry for CoJoe but... NO lasers-of-friendship plz..."  :wink:

"Haha, we haven't started work on this yet, still finishing up our other project, as I said, however you can bet we WILL stick this one through. Oh, ha, and don't worry, not red and blue lasers, though we might make the tracers those colors. Anyroad, if you've already spent a little time with the editor, maybe you can help me get started. I'm just the writer for our little show, my partner in crime does all the modeling.....and all the real work , but this editor looks simple enough that even I can tackle it."

8)

Alright!! Finally someone brave enough to tackle GI Joe!

I wish you guys the best of luck, and if you guys have any links, or have any info just let me know!

Im actually in the middle of doing a Legacy of Kain mod for Neverwinter Knights, if you guys wanna take a look at some of the project's ideas here is the site.

www.elitegamers.org

Just look under the Mausoleum, thanks!!

• 3 months later...

BentonGrey--D00d! I am SO interested in making a GI Joe mod, and I thought I was the only one in the world.

Is your entire FF modding team interested in moving to S2?

I'm thinking we're going to need the following roles filled (let me know if I'm missing any):

Modelers

Skinners

Programmers (Edits the stats and creates the GUIs and such)

Sound Technician (Gets the weapons sound effects and voice effects)

Map Makers

Web Designer (A place to collaborate and show off our progress)

Which roles do you think could be filled from your current team, and which are lacking?

I could best suit your team as a modeler and skinner. I just released a lightsaber hilt pack for Jedi Academy.

https://www.lucasfiles.com/index.php?action...b84bc5caac24c55

And I'm just about to release a player model.

https://users.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/a...alaris_ss10.jpg

So, I can model and skin weapons and people. I figure we need at least 24 player models and over 60 weapon models if we want a decent mod, so that will probably require more than just me as a modeler, though I am rather quick.

Oh yeah, and since it's settled that Snake Eyes is the bomb, he'll probably be the main character. My only request is that we use the realistic guns in the comic and not the laser rifles from the cartoon.

Questions for S2 modders:

Can we import custom models (weapons and players)?

Can we create a custom GUI?

Can we create custom scripted sequences with dialog?