Unconscious Soldiers...

SpacemanRed

OK, so I'm sending 2 rookies into a sectoid ship (don't know the name - 1 storey, sort of cross shaped), they are standing either side of the first interior door at the end of the turn, ready to walk in next turn with max TUs.

It turns out that the last Sectoid is right behind the door because in the alien turn the door opens and a grenade goes off. The Sectoid is stunned and the two rookies are unconscious (message comes up etc) but then the mission ends at the end of the turn because all the aliens are dead/stunned.

In the debrief screen I get an OK rating and lose no points due to XCom members lost - however the two rookies are gone from the roster - where did they go?

Do fatally injured troops just disappear when the mission ends? It seems to me that they should be wounded having received treatment as soon as the mission ended.

I am playing the PS version on a PS2 (if this matters)

Hope you can help,

SpacemanRed

Indeed. Look on your base screen and go to equip craft and then to soldiers. If your rookies are displayed as wounded then that's what's happened. To find out when you'll get them back just go back to the base overview and click on soldiers. Check the wounded troops' stats and it will say how long they are wounded for.

And it's a large scout by the way... Always break to the left when you clear oput a large scout...

How the game handles uncoscious soldiers is a little wacky.

Here are two scenarios I had:

- The soldier got hurt by his own grenade just as the last alien was killed. He fell unconscious. When I hit end-turn, he fell unconscious again. Back to the geoscape, I check the soldier roster and wonder of wonders, the soldier was at full health. Yes this deserves a few ?!'s.

- The next one, similar occasion except the second soldier has lost consciousness reminder didn't pop up. The soldier was just injured normally.

Then there's the handling of conciousness in general. Recall the ability to clone a teminally injured soldier in smoke on the soldier's very last turn to give the soldier one more turn to live. Now that's just plain weird.

- NKF

The problem is, a unit is a unit, but an unconcious unit is an item. Dead items stay that way, but unconcious ones sometimes flip back to being units again.

Mind controlled units don't return at mission end, but given that you have a *playstation*, anythings possible :D:confused:

• 1 year later...

I run X-COM on a normal Playstation regularily and I never saw this happen... until yesterday!!! See, I was at a Medium Scout with 2 Floaters inside the craft and 4 of my soldiers outside the craft near the door. In the aliens round, Floater #1 opens the door and is killed by a flurry of reaction fire from my soldiers. Now, Floater #2 which is inside the craft, shoots one of my soldiers to unconsciousness. Some of my soldiers see Floater #2 and polish him off with more reaction fire.

Since all the aliens are dead, the mission ends. I was disappointed at this point because I wanted to revive my soldier, but the game decided the mission was over. I was interested to see what the fate of the unconscious soldier was when the Skyranger returned to base. When I looked at the duty roster only 7 of the original 8 soldiers remained! :(

I did some research because of NKF's prodding a while back in the Game Data, ... from the OSG thread. What I found out was that a soldier on or off a landing craft when you evacuate results in no points. Granted, what we are talking about here is not evacuation. It is finishing a mission by killing or stunning all the aliens.

I think that the game probably considers stunned soldiers at the end of a mission in the same manner. To the game, it doesn't matter whether you evac with a stunned soldier, or the mission ends with an unconscious soldier during the aliens last round! :P

Yep! You got it! For some strange reason, if an X-COM soldier falls unconscious and the mission ends while he is still "out cold", you never will see the soldier again. The game must "forget" about the soldier since a tally is missing in the end of mission report. You would think that the remaining soldiers would at least uphold the philosophy of not leaving any men behind! Geez, what's up with soldiers these days! :P

Here is something odd (but related) that just happened to me yesterday. I started up a new game on beginner skill level. About mid-month I visited a Large Scout in Australia. (Jungle terrain) When my troops landed, a soldier walked off the Skyranger ramp and saw a Floater Soldier standing about 10 tiles away. Another soldier came off the ramp and killed the Floater. No big deal.

My troops start to spread out and search the dense underbrush for more aliens. Soldier #1 sees a Floater Navigator, but because of obstructions was unable to shoot it. So soldier #2 relays a primed terrestrial grenade to soldier #1, who in turn chucks it to land at the aliens feet. I hit the next round button, and BOOM, the grenade goes off but no alien death scream is heard. Fearing the Navigator could still be alive, I sent some troops to investigate. All they come up with is a Small Launcher and 3 Stun Bombs.

I search the rest of the landscape and find nothing. Now my troops focus on the UFO. Hearing UFO doors opening during the aliens round, one of my soldier opens the main door and sees the Floater Engineer standing off to the left side. Since the soldier had few time units, he pulled back and allowed the other soldiers to cover his retreat. When the Engineer came out of the craft the next round, he was killed by reaction fire from my soldiers. That's it, there were only 3 aliens on a Large Scout.

Ok, now when I get to the end-of-mission report, It correctly states that I killed 3 aliens and incorrectly states that I recovered all 3 bodies. (Remember that alien "killed" by the grenade)? So it just goes to show that the problems associated with stunned X-COM units is not limited to humans, but also aliens! :P

I'm guessing the game turn unconcious units into items, and then keeps track of those items in a special way. But the unit gets removed from the map. It just gets replaced when (if) the unit wakes up.

I guess the if the replacement never happens, the unit data doesn't get sent back to the geoscape. Bam, it's gone.