Problems testing maps ingame

Pain

Hi there, my first post on this board! :(

I have read the tutorial about mapping, etc. which helped a lot with mapping. I also enjoy the hotseat multiplayer modus so I thought about building my own hotseat maps.

Now I have a map, even several deploypoints for all four groups. Sadly I can test the map in the editor only with one little group of three men. So I naturally want to play it ingame.

And now comes the problem:

I switch to my mod in the game, then I type "multiplayer" in the console. After that I enter the mapnumber into the mapselection field. But instead of my map, only a little cozy spot of grass appears... how the heck can I activate my map? Do I have to "build" the map first in the editor or something like this? I really don't have a clue what else to do. Maybe will it only work, when the map is created in the "Original Game"?

Thanks for your help.

Yes you have to build a map in the editor before running it in the game. You can either do that, or in the editor you can test it without building by hitting the run button. The little green patch of greass is the gamnes way of telling you it didn't find your map (either the map is not there or you entered the wrong number).

Hmm... when i try to build the map, there appears an error message telling me that there is a runtime error with the program dataimport.exe . (abnormal program termination)

Could it be, that it ain't working because of this? The title of the error message contained "MS C++ Runtime Library".

Could it be, that my installed compiler (or the library) disrupts the building of the level?

I haven't experienced any problems so far with my compiler.

Btw: Thanks for your answer damocles.

OK, I figuered out, that I need a certain dll.

msvcp71.dll

So I grabbed all my C++ CDs I had, to find out, that I have only older versions of this dll but not the requiered. Even on the Silen Storm CD was an older version (msvcp60.dll).

Now: If anybody has this dll (and don't tell me download it from Microsoft because they don't have dlls to download (at least I didn't find any)) then please notify me.

Have you run the SQL setup from CD2? You need the SQL version on the CD running to build properly (and also to run the editor so it probably isn't this problem).

Other than that I would guess that it's a windows thing. Usually the newer versions of dlls ship with windows updates. What version of windows are you running?

I have the file on my system, so I hosted it for you here:

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/dave88/msvcp71.dll

but I'm betting it will fail and ask for another dll. Usually it's not just one dll missing, it's a whole setup hasn't been ruin, or your windows is too old. What version of Visual C do you have on your computer? I'm using Visual Studio 6, if you have older than that on your system, it may be that it's your VC that is causing the problem.

Let me know how you get on.

I have a SQL Server on CD1 that I installed, on CD2 I haven't seen any additional SQL stuff. (I have the German version of the game, maybe it's different to the US release)

You where right about the dlls. Now there's another one missing. That's the hell about windows... all those darn dlls. (where is the Linux version of Silent Storm? :( )

I don't think it would change a lot to ask you for the rest of the dlls would it, as I know only one by one about which dll now is missing.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Yeah my mistake, I meant CD1.

You're best bet for finding the problem lies in the versions of windows or visual studio you are using. If you tell me what versions of those you have we might get a better idea where to go.

Or you could ask the developers directly on their tech support forum:

https://forum.nival.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=129

I get those errors if I try and run the tools externally. if i use the 'Build' command from withi the editor it all works OK.

I initially had problems with getting the editorand stuff running because I had SQL server installed on my machine already, but when I did a rebuild and just installed the verison from thew CD it was fine.

However, I still have to use the tools from within the editor, not through the command ine.

Now that I finally have all the requiered dlls copied into the tools directory it works... externally, and that doesn't mean nothing. Because in the editor I still get error messages. Always "abnormal program termination".

I really don't know what else to do, as I am still not able to build any maps. Maybe reinstall the editor?