The Manual

Biggles

Ok, not sure if I can tell you guys. but i've seen the editor manual.

It's over 60 pages of detailed instruction on using the editor, it doesn't get as deep as some may like, but it certainly has a lot to offer.

Sorry, I can't share my sneak preview, but be assured, Nival are giving us the goods here!

Excellent news. I personally don't really mind it not getting that deep, as long as it lays out the basic procedures (possibly some examples, too) for the editor, and some of the more esoteric things (like how they managed to get those buildings that somehow auto-build their own roofs?! o_O). But 60 pages? Hell yeah!

A question came into my mind. Does this manual include screenshots of editor? Or just based on text. :?:

I really hope that there are some screenshots and things explained on those, its so much easier to find things and learn.

For example i've mapped quite lot for RavenShield, and when i started it i found few tutorials on same topic. First one was just text, second had screenshots of editor and just some information arrows to point important things. I lost my hope when i read the first one, and when i saw second one. Things came clear right away..

Maybe i write a tutorial tonite when i get back home, have some beer and relax.... 8)

Anyway, im sure these documents give lots of needed information.

Is it written for people with modding/mapping experience?

I am really needing a very simplistic and basic tutorial ( Something like an rts game tutorial - "Now left click and your hero will walk to the flag" " left click and drag a box arond your units to group select" That sort of thing.

The title of this tutorial should be something like. Step by step by step instruvctions to build this particular map. So not just telling me to select a texture, but rather telling me to select a particular texture.

The S2 editor looks a little obscure, but not too bad. I'm an editor junkie (Unlimited Adventures, All HOMM, All AoW, NWN, Delta Force BHD, JA2, and some I have probably forgotten) and the S2 editor looks like it has serious potential. Just being able to cut and paste a building from one map to another is a great feature.

BTW, anyone know anything about the scripting language in the S2 editor (Lua?)? Is it a C++ variant?

i wrote one tutorial for my some Finnish bro's. I may translate it to english, we'll see it after weekend. Anyway if you wanna take peak, look here.

https://www.dlc.fi/~cruxer/seka/SS_tutorial...p/Firstmap.html

Im not sure do i continue writing those in Finnish or English, but tell me is that a good way to write tutorials? Or what should i do better/different?

Hey, that's a great tutorial! It helps one to get started & learning the basics of map editing!

Hey, I've got an idea, which some of you might have already considered:

Why not create a "step-by-step-tutorial-for-dummies-with-pictures", in which all the areas of modding S² are explained with screenshots. Talk about things like map editing to adjusting weapon damage values (or even creating new ones, if possible).

This might take some time to do, but just by doing it little by little should get it started, no? In my opinion a full tutorial like this would get more people into modding S².

What do you people think?

Firstly .. no news on the manual. I don't want to hassle Nival too much, they've been pretty responsive so far, but I'd hate to get them offside by constant 'Where's the manual emails'. It was due Mon/Tues though, so hopefully within the next 24hrs.

As for tutes with pics ... I'm sure some will be done, but also, the manual is full of example images.