M16 + M203 grenade launcher: is it possible?

I've been brainstorming myself (well just mind masturbation) about the possibilities of creating a combined weapon like this m16+m203 grenade launcher

https://textile.snu.ac.kr/users/grizzly/gallery/m203.jpg

or even an M41 (from Aliens)

https://www.wargameclub.com/WGC_Shop/images/ad_kit_m41a_low.jpg

Is there a way of creating such weapon with two mag capacity and ammo types and 3 types of shooting (quick, full auto and grenade)?

I think It is impossible, but if so... wich should be the way of do it? The only answer I found is to make two weapons for this, the assault rifle and the grenade launcher apart. Not too realistic but... it's the only way... isn't it?

of the top of my head I'd say no, not possible. But we thought that about shotguns (multiple projectiles from a single shot) but it turns out that Nival had the code in place, but pulled the fields from the final database.

They've now said (on the Nival forums) that they are going to put it back in with v1.2 , so us modders can create shotguns.

It may be worth bringing up this idea on the Nival forums, jut sto see if there is any similar fix.

Of course this is entirely my opinion:

I would like to see more "down to earth"-mods, meaning, new & modified weapons, new maps, maybe some new clothings, and at it's best, new models.

It's just that a lot of huge, total conversion projects like an x-com mod or ja2-mod never get out of planning stage or die along the way...and to boot, those that manage to pull of most often take years.

Well...I ain't saying those total conversion are bed, but I would like to see smaller projects ( which may be easier to coordinate ).

Well...I ain't saying those total conversion are bad, but I would like to see smaller projects ( which may be easier to coordinate ).

Well, maybe a total conversion is a hard work... true... but modding without modelling is just a "change of stats", not bad but surely limited.

My idea is to add some models to create a very special mod for the 20's and 30's, so i will need only some weapons (not a rifle plus grenade launcher for sure) and a number of new models (3d model, bones and textures)... but for my project I can imagine for example a "Magic Agression Staff" a rod with 2 kind of spells... one is a "magic projectile" (like rifles) and the other is a "magical bomb" (like grenade launchers)... if I want to put these in hands of an evil half-fish sect leader I got the same problem as the grenade launcher above...

Well, a full mod is hard, I don't want a full mod but a Campaign set in Cthulhu 30's (wich could be great!)

If I were to make a guess, I would say that the only way to create something like an M16+M203 combo is to do it like they did in the Rainbow 6 and Rogue Spear mods (one slot for M16, one slot for M203). It wasn't the prettiest or most streamlined way to do it (not to mention the fact that it made suspension of disbelief rather difficult), but it's one way of doing things.

Of course, like Gomi said, there may be something hidden in the code, or it may simply take some small additions in the database.

My idea is adding a field to the weapons table, indicating whether it has a secondary fire mode, and one pointing to a new table which defines the animations, projectiles, particles, damage, ballistics, etc. But I don't know if that will be at all possible.

• 7 months later...

Haven't gone in depth yet but perhaps there is a way to link it to shot modes... Ex...

M16-A2 w/ M203 would have...

Snap shot, Aimed Shot, Carefull Shot, Short Burst, M203,

There are more than enough slots in the bar for an additional fire mode.

Then in the database link the 203 to a damage/range/AOE mode that simulates a light Frag grenade.

This would create an infinite ammo problem (limited only by the main clip ammo...)

Hmmm

Spinner