Learning the editor for mapping purposes

requiem99

Greetings, I'm learning the editor due to my immense love of this game and the desire to create custom maps (I wish there was a "play custom map" feature in the game to ease the implementation of custom user maps), and I'd like to have some people to chat with on either irc or msn about mapping now and then, in case I have questions (or if you do, maybe I can help you)

I'm a newbie right now but I won't be for long, I learned to map for halflife very well and it seemed much more complicated at first than this does.

We'll see how it goes.

And also, hi everyone! :(

If you want to add me to msn, my email is abrock@angelfire.com

Hi, welcome aboard.

If yu just want to create maps it's pretty quick and easy to get into. In fact one of the great parts is beig able to model something (say a part of a house) and then use that as a template that you can drag onto other maps an stuff. it really speeds things up.

If you want to test your map, take note of it's ID number , and then in the game console you can load it.

Yea I'm having a few problems getting the editor to show all the objects, and it doesn't seem to want to add things in the traditional way, it just loads each object as if it were its own map. I'm gonna see if I can make a simple map by following the instructions in the other thread.

ahh.. well that's another thing altogether.

There are a couple of people reporting this problem. I'm not sure if anyone has actually talked to Nival about it though... I certainly haven't seen any mention of a solution.

I don't know enough about your setup to even guess.... but I'm going to :(

first guess ... if it's happening after a set amount of time, either something else on your computer is running and crashes it, or it's got a memory leak and is using up all your RAM.

second guess is that you may be using another version of SQL sever? I know some people (like me) already have it installed. I couldn't even get the editor to run until I rebuilt my machine. But when i did rebuild I made sure that the SQL server used was the one that shipped with the game.

I've had the editor crash every time I've used the editor for a while. My guess is that there is a memory leak within it somewhere. Nothing ever seems to be lost though, the editor just bombs, you restart it and go back to what you were doing.

What is the realtime view meant to do? I don't notice a difference with it on or off. And if you want to test the map in the game, hit the play arrow and it loads a windowed version of SS right in the editor. Best feature ever.

It would be nice if it was easier to ship a map (for dev or play purposes) to other players without having to build a whole mod.

Oh, and what happens to the stuff we build when Nival patches the game and stuff within the database changes?