Editor problems -- help?

Poor Yurik

Ok, here are two problems I've been having and I'm wondering if anyone knows the fix:

1) Real-time, in-editor lighting/shadows triggered via the Y key no longer works. I have no idea why not. It worked for quite a few days and I just noticed it not working today. Turning on real-time preview doesn't help. I checked my editor controls in input.cfg and it hasn't been unbound.

How do I get it working again?

2) Roofs. Ok, I have them mostly figured out except for one big issue -- Z-fighting :( If I have 3 pieces of plain1, one on top of the other, all solids or intermediate solids, the first two link together fine but the top-most piece doesn't link up/adapt properly and there's a very noticeable border of z-fighting where they meet.

I've loaded up Nival's maps and this issue isn't present. Now, here's the kicker: I copy and pasted a piece of their roof section that worked into my map, and the problem was present all of a sudden! Now, even weirder -- I thought maybe this meant there was a map level variable or setting to correct this then -- so I copy and pasted a piece of MY roof into the Nival map and the problem was still there!

Ok guys, I would really appreciate some help with this. I feel like i'm very close to having it all figured out.

Here's a single pic of my first map so far so you guys know I'm actually being productive and actually trying to get some new missions out to the community:

/silent_storm/yurik-s2-editor01-sm.jpg

It's a work in progress of course and there are 2 more floors above that first floor, I just didn't feel like taking 3 screenshots for the same unfinished map :(

PS. I got the map lighting working again, I had to do an install repair. Apparently one of my config files had a problem. I'm still having the roofing problem for 3 story roofs that I listed above in my original post, even for plain2 and 1 attached. It's highly annoying.

I really need help on this one singular problem, I got pretty much all my other questions figured out through experimentation. I'm crossing my fingers hoping someone knows. I wish it was possible to talk to the Nival guys :?

Firstly, the map is looking great!

As for the roof problem, I don't have any ideas sorry. I've only done soem basic roofing on a small shed to test it out, and I mainly had problems finding the right pieces to go inthe right spots.

At this point I don't think any other guys from Nival come here very often, but Bandures and a couple of other Nival guys read their own forums a fair bit. perhaps senf them a PM.

Still no reply from Bandures. I'm guessing he's busy but I really hope he lends a helping hand to the roofing problem :

Here are 2 pics to illustrate the problem (which I sent him):

A working nival roof:

/silent_storm/yurik-s2-editor-roof_zfighting01.jpg

My roof plagued by z-fighting:

/silent_storm/yurik-s2-editor-roof_zfighting02.jpg

Both problem areas were made out of the same components: roof 1x1x1/plain1 and both consist of solids and intermediate solids with the same layer order the nival guys use.

Just curios, as I have only built one basic roof.. but...

I noticed some of the nival roofs seem incompete, yet within game they are fine. Do the roof parts automatically fill gaps?

and...

Did you place the roof parts 1 by 1 or did you drag and fill the area?

Floor Links... that seems to be the key to the z-fighting issue (if you haven't already figured it out).

If you link the two (or more) floors that are the rooftops the z-fighting disappears (usually). If it remains, then you might need to rebuild sections in various orders. I found that building the lower parts first then the top parts was best for removing the z-fighting.

I still have absolutely no idea how they managed to make the roofs that have huge gaps that get filled in thoguh :(