Map visualisationproblems with the MapEditor

Dominian

First I wanna say a big HIHO to the S² Community ! (I see big potential here)

Second I want to excuse my "terrible" English , but my Mother tongue will be German , my whole life :)

So , now I hope you can help me in this , maybe ridiculous , concern.

I installed the MSQL Server (from CD 1) , and after running the Map Editor I loaded a map , now the trouble begins ...

I double klick a map , or Object but the Visualization Window stays grey all the time... I got no chance to Edit a map BLIND !

In-game ther is no Video Problem ! I just don't get why the big world of Map Making is inaccessible for me *gg*

At my brothers PC everything is OK with the Editor !

My System :

AMD Athlon XP 2400+

Geforce 4 Ti 4800

K7N Motherboard (not from interest in this special case I think)

I just can imagine a contract between the Geforce 4 Ti and the Video problem ... so I won't state my whole System :)

hey cool, the first post from someone actually using the editor!

I have the game but wasn't able to get the editor to run (it may be to do with the russian version I have)

Anyway we'd love to hear anything you have to say about it!

I did not have the time to play Silent Storm the excessive way as it is worth to play (Max payne 2 was released same day) , but I can tell u that I love what I've seen from so far !

For running the Editor u need the Microsoft SQL server , which is found on CD 1 (in german version)

Without the MSQL server tool u get a "missing msql.dll" message , or something similiar ... it's not the exact error message , but it was quite much like this.

The Editor is a little bit silly to use ... at first there are 100 buttons u don't know what to do with , but after 5 minutes the handling is clear.

Tomorrow I will try to start up with a whole new test level. Maybe some Guns and easy enemies (testranch-style :) )

I didn't manage to set Weapons in the Editor , but u can change the Values of damage etc. for the guns easiely !

Well , it's 05:30 o'clock here ... so I will get some sleep after a good match in NHL 2004 :)

You are the man, please tell us how and where exactly can you modify the damage of the weapons. So far I've been working two days with the editor, turning everything upside down and the only, really the ONLY thing I didn't find was the damage for weapons, lol!

Somehow I ran in a circle between weapon textures, weapon sounds, weapon groups and weapon base (axis/allies) and couldn't find the darn damage values, lol :)

Btw I'm from Austria

Wicky

Oh schön noch einen Deutschsprachigen Kollegen hier zu finden :)

Du weisst ja : Der Deutsche und der Österreicher unterscheide sich hauptsächlich durch die gemeinsame Sprache :lol:

I don't want to give someone a "disadvantage" , so I do write the German intro in English again :

Oh , nice to have some other German Speaker here :)

You know : The German and the Austrian differ most in their same language :lol:

To answer your question ...

Let me first tell something about the Editor :

The System is very unstructured. You got every weapon in 5 different Categories and in every catogary there are some pieces of information and models for the guns etc.

You are not able "just" to da a simple Map , nether I found a parameter for the Clip Damage Value or the Weapon Damage Value

The Editor is totally frustrating me until now ... because it is a very good and easy tool , but the resources it lives from seem incomplete and mixed up !

Yes the categories are a bit confusing at first, to see all aspects of one weapon you have to find it in half a dozen resource tabs , but this globalization has also it's advantages. Just to mention the "materials" tab, there is only one location to set the properties for brick-stone. If you change the riccochet-angle to 180 here, you have at once the effect though out all maps and scenarios, that bullets fired at brick-stone will bounce back to you like a boomerang :(

Or, if your map is too easy while testing, you can just give every existing enemy +15% Hitpoints by editing a single variable.

But why is there no variable for weapon damage? It would be hilarious if the game calculated damage based on weight and size of the bullet and you'd have to edit those indirectly LOL (just an assumption) :(:)

PS: I hope you have a firewall installed, as soon as you get your MS-SQL Server running you'll have a SQL worm infection attempt every 10 Minutes or so. I blocked my TCP 1433 incoming and UDP 1434 incoming ports because I couldn't stand my firewall hopping mad regularily. :)

Wicky

It's no problem if you know about it. The SQL server is like when you host a game. Just that it's databases playing :)

So when you install SQL it will listen for incoming calls from the internet, but since you only need it for map-editing you can block these calls. I don't know what the worm does but I heard it just tries to login onto your SQL Server if it has a blank password (which is, by default blank) and then spread around.

There is no worm on the CD just you could get one, because the Server will also listen to the internet, if you don't prohibit it, and with a blank passwort it could infect your machine.

Wicky

I am now :) Thanks to Banduras from Nival who told me that not all information can be modified with the Map-Editor.

The Weapon-Damage Values can only be seen/edited with an SQL-Viewer. One needs MS_Access to edit those variables, but I could also have a look at (but not edit) them with Excel which I'm more proficient with.

There are a lot more resource tabs inside the database, the map-editor shows maybe only 70% of them.

I got a good glance at weapon-statistics which included hidden variables like recoil-factor, weight, targetting-bonus, AP needed for aiming when you make the first shot, etc.

If anyone asks me nicely I could upload some .xls Tables to my webspace :)

Wicky