Bases

Neo

Where does evry1 build there bases? And y?

I build mine in the desert in america and call it Area 52 (cool eh) but wen i first got the game (bout 4 years ago) i used to build them in the sahara desert cause i was a little worried about aliens hiding in buildings but in the desert its easier.

I try to keep my bases as far from the water as I can, though avoid overlapping land (like having two bases very close to eachother is not good).

This to get as much of the ufo's as I can, 'coz chasing them across big waters usually makes me losing them from radar and they will never settle down on water, now ould they (just as letting them crash in the water means the loss of it's components)...

[Wormfist]

I usually build my 1rst base between Russia and European (the first one is always called "Alpha one").

My first base is my center (if the alien destroyed it, I m dead ).. All the research, production r made is this base... Other base r use r Radar station, Interceptor base and so on...

Then the second base is "top gun" in USA (called Tog gun cause i go 4 hangars with interceptor).

The Third "Katana" Near Japan

The Fourth " Sydney" in Australia :confused:

The 5th "Saga Africa" in Africa (based on a French Song)

Usually i dont need to build the other base, the alien r dead before...

Umbriel Veteran of UFO

I like to build my first base in Panama (i call it The Canal Quark). I can easly cover the US (money capital of x-com) and South America.

Then i build a manufacturing base in Tunis (Pirate's Harbor) (in north africa) which also serves as the #2 assult base. Base #3 (Kiwi Nest) is build on a small island off the north coast of Australia (great coverage of Japan and Australia with some of China protected). Base #4 (Linux Base) is built in South Africa which covers that and antartica. Base #5 (Unknown CCCP Fort) is built in middle north Russia which functions as a Trainning base for the up and coming psionics. (all my bases have at least 2 hangers with intercept craft and radar or hyperwave)

-PSY GUY- :confused:

In my perfect game I had six out of eight possible bases. All perfectly constructed and equipped with one Avenger each, every one of them holding two hovertank plasmas and filled with men wearing flying armour.

But enough of that!

I think my first was in England because I love England! Then I ended up with North Africa, Europe, England (these two were stupidly close but seem to form the epicenter of all alien activity) North America, South America, Australia and... no wait that's six! They cover all of the land in the word except Russia... Hang on I have a base there too... I'll have to check on this... Maybe there is no Australian base...

• 2 weeks later...

I put my first base near Budapest, covering the European nations, the north coast of Africa, and some of Russia.

Then I put two bases at the same time. Siberia, covering Russia, China, Japan, the Arctic and Alaska, and in Nevada, covering most of the Americas.

The next two depend a bit on reported activity, but usually the Congo, covering Africa, and the Straights of Magellan, covering South America and Antarctica.

If I can be stuffed I will put one in Singapore or Papa New Guinea to protect Australia, New Zealand and SE Asia.

When I get arounf to it I upgrade the Nevada base to hold troops. All other bases have defences, radars, interceptors, and stores only. (Excpet the main Budapest base (duh!))

First base usually goes straight in the middle of Russia, as it has lots of land within range, and very little chance to shoot down UFOs of water. Later I expand with bases on large land masses, like North and South America, Africa, Europe, etc. I try to cover as much land as possible with each base, without being too close to the range of my existing bases.

ahhh... the Netherlands.... nice indeed! And NOT about tulips, NOT about windmills and NOT about those woodlike-shoe-things!!!

I still see that sometimes in promotion- commercials, toures and intros.

About the bases, I do the game mostly with two bases. One for homebase and one pure for research...

1st: in the Middle Of Africa ( Tchad )

2nd: in the Middle Of The United States ( Near Kansas City - Missouri )

3rd: in the Middle Of The South America ( Brazil, near Bolivia )

4th: in the Middle Of China ( Near Kazakhstan )

5th: in the Middle Of Australia

6th: Antarctic-1 ( South Pole )

7th: Hawaii - Pacific-1

if getting problems in European countries, RUSSIA-1 ( Moscow )

I usaully build my first one in europe, but sometimes for variety i will build it in the center of China. I get good coverage of a variety of countries that way (and europe gets the best of that).

Aftyer that, i build new bases whenever some area begins to have erratic UFO activity.

When placing the primary base, I sometimes like to ask myself some of these questions:

- Do I want to make a lot of money?

Getting lots of little increases in salary from low paying countries is a lot better than getting a small salary increase from one or two high paying countries. Europe or Asia make nice starting regions.

Still, I would only rely on the UN salary to pay for base maintenance costs.

- What terrain do I want to fight in?

Since money generally isn't an issue once you start harvesting Heavy Plasmas, this is the next best thing to consider. It's a lot easier to play in terrain you're comfortable fighting in.

- Do I want to cover a lot of land?

More land does makes it easier to salvage UFOs, but having a bit of ocean does make it easier for you to dispose of some unwanted UFOs if you have your hands full.

- - -

Once I've placed the primary base, I usually just call it Vigilance, or Mainstage (Hydrozone for TFTD).

I sometimes build an air base almost on top of the first one and transfer all the interceptors from the first base to it. This serves as a decoy of sorts for alien retaliation runs. Even if the aliens attack the primary base, there won't be as many entry points so they will all be crowded in the grav-lift and the one hangar. A great opportunity to put those rocket tanks to good use. :confused:

Anyway, once the first base is up an running, feeler/interceptor bases will pop up around the globe as necessary. Their exact location varies from game to game. Each gets one interceptor with plasma cannons. Pretty much a cheap -- self sufficient -- base that's easy to replace if it's destroyed.

A secondary strike base will be built in the opposite side of the globe from the primary base. This is where I place my Avenger.

Finally, a giant storage and manufacturing facility will get put in one of the polar caps. I keep this base as passive as possible. When this base is in operation, the workshops in the primary base are decomissioned and the engineers are sent here.

I think that's about it.

-NKF

I've actually just changed my tactics massively to accomodate my superhuman campaign.

Having a lot of trouble intercepting UFOs at the beginning of the game and coincidentally losingquite a lot of funding (but not completely thankfully!) I decided that I had to do something to increase my range.

And so there came the borderguards in America, Brazil, Asia and Africa. Each of these four new bases contains just an interceptor, one hangar, general stores for weapons and ammunition and an access lift.

Needless to say it's a brilliant plan, it works perfectly and my campaign is now going absolutely brilliantly!

My main base is still the one in England but unfortunately I didn't zoom in to build it so it's actually in Wales... :confused:

• 1 year later...

#1: My first base is always in Europe to save some money later on with new base construction. Germany is a popular spot as well as western Russia.

#2: As fast as I can, the second base is always built in the United States. I used to place it in Nevada and called it Area 51. Recently, I started placing it in the Midwest. Where you may ask? On either of the two biggest "Great" lakes (Lake Superior or Lake Michigan). These are the only bodies of water that the game allows you to build on (at least in the PSX version)! I name it "Purity Control" after a popular X-Files episode.

#3: I place this base in northeastern Mongolia to cover Japan and the Far East.

The rest of the base slots are up for grabs depending on alien activity.

#4: Usually in Central Africa.

#5: Northern Brazil to cover Central America and some of South America.

#6 In the center of the Australasian complex. Maybe Java, sometimes Australia itself.

#7: On the southern most tip of South America to cover the rest of S.A. and Antarctica.

#8: On the Bearing Strait to cover some of Siberia, Japan, Canada and the Arctic.

How come no base is in the Arctic or Antarctica? I just "give" these areas to the aliens to play with. I can shoot down UFOs over the poles and reduce my chances of retaliation attacks. I can also "train" my soldiers at alien bases near the poles to increase their stats.

Why no base in Hawaii? Everything you shoot down lands in the Ocean! I WANT to go on away missions and recover stuff - not sitting on my hands at a base!

Is everyone aware of the varying base startup costs of each territory? If not, here's the list:

AREA         STARTUP COST
----         ------------
Europe         $1,000,000
Arctic           $950,000
Antarctica       $900,000
North America    $800,000
Siberia          $800,000
Australasia      $750,000
South East Asia  $750,000
North Africa     $650,000
South America    $600,000
Pacific          $600,000