UFO

Neo

This is kinda off the topic but then again it kinda is on topic anyway: As i was going through my game collection i came across a demo CD from the 200th issue of CGW. Anyway in the demo disk was some full verson games and x-com was one of them. Seems kinda odd that they would just give the game away eventhough its not freewear. just thought i put that out there.

-PSY GUY- :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not freeware. You still had to pay for the magazine and CD, which pretty much covers the cost of the game as well (although at a rather depreciated value).

The publisher must have had some deal with the games' owners. Probably they have to pay a royalty per magazine sold or somesuch.

- NKF

I think there might be at least another person up there that has played the original Rebelstar and Laser Squad on the Spectrum. That's how i first got into touch with turn-based squad gaming back in the eighties.

When UFO and TFTD were released I didn't had a computer so I even though I had heard from it I couldn't play them :)

When I finally bought a PC my first contact with X-Com was through Apocalypse. I bought it in a travel i made to the US and when i arrived home I spent the next two weeks getting addicted to it. But when I finally got the original UFO I simply went ballistic like a blaster bomb with it :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I got my first ever computer back in '95 and one of the guys I knew whose family had owned computers his whole life, said there was this cool game he was playing at the time called UFO, so he gave me a copy (on several floppy discs) and I was instantly addicted!

Then during my uni years, I found a CD copy of UFO (doubled with Master of Orion) for $10 in the cheapy section of Electronics Boutique and bought it straight away!!

I found it by accident. When I moved in with my ex girlfriend, she had a two seater bed settee that she wanted to get rid of it, well I was in the army at the time and my room mate was after something similar. So we agreed that, if he could arange for it to be collected he could have the sofa.

Next day he turns up with a bleeding 4 ton truck, as seen on TV for moving troops and stores around, you know the one, according to the army ir was not in iraq during the recent conflict and was definatly not in that photo.

We he took the sofa and half an hour later he turned up again and gave us a commadore amegia CD32 system, which if I am right was a predisessor to the playstation. With this came the CD for the game. No instructions or anything. Oh and no way of saving the game. 6 months later I managed to complete the game and yes I had not turned the machine of once in this time.

:power::eh::P:):(

I got a computer from my big brother for free when it got old (386). He didn't empty the hard disk and it contained the x-com game. I learned the game by trial/error way, no manuals for this baby. We played it with few of my friends for a long time until we started understanding the game. Some little things like priming grenades and stuff was learned accidentaly time to time.

It's truly amazing how a game that I didn't know a crap about addicted me and my friends so badly :power: I had never even played that kind of games before, just some driving games and stuff..

i kept on seeing the adds in my pc gamer and pc attack (poms may remeber that ace magazines) and was hooked just on the adds (hypothermia can kill you in 15 minutes, if your lucky) But then in about 96 or 97 went on a holdiday to Bali (Australia is cool we live near lots of south east asian countries, where there seems to be quite a lot of vidio piracy) and bought a dodgy cd with about 60 games on it and one was UFO enemy unknown, hte rest is history. man i think i played that game all through year 6 and 7 before getting bored of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't remember when it came out exactly, but it must have been '92 or '93. I just graduated from undergrad and I was living with five guys in an apartment. We made up a squad with all of our real names, and each took turns running missions.

Once we had enough $$ to build other bases we each made our own base and managed squads at each site. It was pretty fun.

I bought TFTD the day it came out...AND I STILL HAVEN"T FINISHED IT!!! But I plan to soon, since I recently found my copy.

Interceptor didn't really impress me, and the premise behind Apocalypse didn't still any nostalgia, so I haven't played any of the X-Com incarnations since TFTD. Plus, law school and real life kinda got in the way...

I first found out about x-com when i was about 7 or 8. I bought a game called 'Return of the Phantom'. I looked at the list of demos included with the game, and there was UFO, and TFTD demos (except TFTD was called X-COM 2000 or something like that)

Then one day in zellers a year or two later, i saw TFTD and bought it for $5.00.

Then, last year, i found out about Apoc, and wanted it badly... I ordered the game alone off the internet. When it arrived, it was in German. I was really mad, so i returned the game, and sent an e-mail, and a month or two later, the X-COM collectors edition came in the mail :power: . And from there, i got UFO. Complicated story huh :eh: ?

In Feb 1995 I've got my first computer at the college abd with it I've got a free game and it was UFO-Defense. I play never to play it since that...

I've got everything that's write X-COM on it since that's time.

That's make me feel bad when Hasbro canned all the next promising evolution X-COM game :eh:

I pray all god every day for Atari/Hasbro/Infogrames who ever, to release Alliance or Genesis.

Just dreaming about that for now... :power:

• 3 weeks later...

I played a demo of a terror mission not long after the game was first released. It was the same feeling as when I played Dune II or Doom for the frist time- I hadn't seen anthing like it- My older Brother (by six years), Older sister (5yrs) and myself were hooked- we played the demo over and over until we clubbed together and bought the full game- I haven't looked back since...which would explain my driving.

I still smile now when some games review for a more up-to-date title obsesses about 'fully deformable terrain' as some programming advance! There's something really satisfying about blaster bombing an Ethereal while it's lurking aroung a shop, leaving nothing but smokin' tomatoes.

i-m-t