66 replies to this topic

#21 ApOcaLyPSe_1985

ApOcaLyPSe_1985

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 06:43 PM

When browsing on a german shareware cd, I found the Beta version of UFO. The Laser Rifle was called Laser Gun and had some weird splashy effects. That was my first contact.
The actual buying came when I bought a gamebundle with 2 games in it,
Syndicate and UFO: Enemy Unknown. I actually bought the box cause of the Syndicate game, not realizing that I played UFO before on that demo disc.
I played some Syndicate and then decided to try out UFO. I was so happy and addicted at that time. I was quite young and slowly began to understand the game. I remember that I was always asking my dad to translate the UFOpedia for me :confused:
I remember that I was sometimes frightened in the Tactical part of the game when suddenly a Chryssalid ( yes, that block of pixels was really scarey  :cry: ) came out to zombify my men.
Also some alien interruption scenes with exploding grenades made me scared and my heart was pounding like hell.
After 3 month's of play I gave up cause I just couldn't win against the aliens. I tried it again, a year later. Still couldn't beat them. Damn base attacks.
And then after many years I played it again, and now I'm on Mars, ready to face the alien horde  :devil:

Wow this is quite a long story :D
BOOKS! GET THEM OFF! GET THEM OFF ME!! ARGH!!!

#22 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 08:43 AM

Heh... I hope you got around to playing through Syndicate y/n? :confused:
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#23 ApOcaLyPSe_1985

ApOcaLyPSe_1985

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 10:57 AM

Heh... I hope you got around to playing through Syndicate y/n?

Yes ofcourse, great game but hard. I liked Syndicate Wars better. I was always blowing the whole level to pieces with Nuclear Grenades. That was fun  :D
Shame it didn't had multiplayer support  :confused:
I was always hoping for a new Syndicate but it never came.

Does anyone remembers the game Gene Wars ? Now that was a great game with the crossbreeding and stuff. Damn, why isn't there a new part of it.

#24 Alan

Alan

The Voice Of Reason & DB Repair Fairy

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 12:02 PM

Shame it didn't had multiplayer support

oh but it did! (syndicate wars anyway) although i don't know if it works over the net....
A Target_Tinboy production

#25 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 01:58 AM

The american revolt was the add on for the original syndicate: it gave you some hard (:confused:) maps, a clone shield a'la syndicate wars, an airstrike weapon ( :D ), and multiplayer support :D

Syndicate wars I found much harder, and it also had multimode. However, you generaly need to computers in the same room and some cables to get it going.

Genewars was OK, but I haven't finished it yet. I'm suprised we haven't seen more games like it.

Note that both Syndicate and Genewars were made by good old Bullfrog :cry:

#26 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 05:10 AM

Ah, Syndicate Wars, still on a look out for a copy. Enjoyed that immensely.

I recall that you could have multiple players on one machine. i.e. one operated an agent with the mouse, one with the keyboard and another one with any joystick that was plugged in. Lots of fun, but the only problem was that all your agents had to follow the one the camera was tracking. They ought to have developed a split-screen thingy to track different agents in the same team.

Speaking of the original, I really enjoyed how your agents themselves were incredibly deadly weapons, even without guns. Just needed a couple of medikits and you could keep self destructing yourself for quite a bit...

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#27 ApOcaLyPSe_1985

ApOcaLyPSe_1985

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 05:24 PM

Lol, I thought they where dead after a self destruct. Or can you do that after you upgraded your bodyparts to V3 ?

#28 NeO_MArKOD

NeO_MArKOD

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 07:59 PM

Thats a interesting story... HI!, im mark from argentina!!... im 19 years old and y started to play UFO about 4 years ago... i find this game on an illegal argentinian BBS (sorry!) and really shoks me out... i been playing UFO since that day and never stop... i never will.

I wrote a novel and a script for a comic, but there's no good spanish sites of X-com, so i can't post them... sad story... i hope someday i'll make the comic for all the fans of X-com in the world...

Well, thats it... sorry about my english, but stinks...   :confused:

BYE!

#29 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 12:46 PM

It's always nice to see more fans of the game. The best I ever did was a scribbly storyboard of an alternate ending for Apocalypse. Something about a bicycle and camera-4... um, nevermind.

And Apocalypse_1985, I think as long as you can self destruct and you've got an unused medikit on you, it'll do.

See, my agent had just self destructed and was running about on fire as... well, you get the idea. And it just so happened that I noticed that I had one more medikit that I hadn't used. So feeling silly, I clicked on it, and it worked. The soldier survived to fight another day... plus there were dozens of charred enemy agents lying about.

Fantastic what you can do with a bit of duct tape... What do they put in those kits? Extra C4?

Enough off-topic banter from me folks.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#30 Crazy Photon

Crazy Photon

Lobstermen for breakfast!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 12:17 AM

NeO_MArKOD, on Oct 3 2002, 04:59 PM, said:

Thats a interesting story... HI!, im mark from argentina!!... im 19 years old and y started to play UFO about 4 years ago... i find this game on an illegal argentinian BBS (sorry!) and really shoks me out... i been playing UFO since that day and never stop... i never will.
Cool! otro latinoamericano por estos lados :confused: :D :D

Yo soy Crazy Photon escribiendo de Montevideo, Uruguay :cry:

Bienvenido a los foros y no te preocupes tanto por el inglés, se entendió bastante bien :cry:

PS: Sorry guys, I just couldn't help writing a little in spanish :D
Resistance is NEVER futile...

#31 Solfius

Solfius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 08:39 AM

I'm always amazed how well people from other countries can speak English, compared to how I can (or can't more often than not) speak theirs.

#32 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 09:23 AM

Heh, tell me about it. I was born and raised in a country where English is usually a second, or even a tertiary language.

Even though English is my primary language (or, really a  mish-mash of British, American and 'Sing-lish') , I'm constantly amazed at how some people I meet have such a fantastic grasp of the language, even though it's their third language.

I think a line from an old Disney film says it best: "Why can't the English learn to speak English?" Or something along those lines.

It's a funny old world isn't it? :confused:

- NKF

#33 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 10:08 AM

Oye Crazy Photon, yo espero que mi español no sea demasiado malo! Yo no obtengo mucha práctica que vive en Inglaterra del sur! Oye, todos que no pueden leer esto! Hablo un idioma que usted no entiende! Acabo de esperar que usted entiende Photon!
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#34 Crazy Photon

Crazy Photon

Lobstermen for breakfast!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 11:42 AM

Oye Crazy Photon, yo espero que mi español no sea demasiado malo! Yo no obtengo mucha práctica que vive en Inglaterra del sur! Oye, todos que no pueden leer esto! Hablo un idioma que usted no entiende! Acabo de esperar que usted entiende Photon!

Well, it's a bit rudimentary, but quite understandable nevertheless *thumbs up* :confused:

Well, English is a second language here... but I started to learn it when I was 9 until I was 18, so I've some experience with it :D . BTW, my English is certified by the Cambridge university (FCE level), which is not bad at all :D

And yes, in other countries English is so exigent that the tests wouldn't be passed by natural English speakers :cry: but it's a very important language to learn as it's the language used when people of many different parts of the world meet.
Resistance is NEVER futile...

#35 AcidBoot

AcidBoot

The refried frontal lobe of the soul.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 11:58 AM

I never learnt any languages. Early in High School I took French. Well, more accurately i was given French, and not by choice. Ultimately I found it easier to give the teacher a mental breakdown than learn more than a few words. Funnily enough I now know more French than I ever learnt in school from watching films with subtitles.

On Topic:
Like all top notch games, I saw it on the shelf at the store, it looked OK so I bought it and loved it, and about a month or two later all the mags started going on about it.
I bought it about a week after it hit the shelves, which was quite some time before the US ever got it. Phew! How long has it been out for? I have played it through so many times!

I had a go for the first time in years just a few months back. Figuring I might be a bit rusty, I played on the second to easiest setting. Well that was silly! I'd only just started encountering Snakemen when I was getting ready to build my avenger and go to Cydonia. :confused:
About 95% of people are kidding themselves. The trouble is that almost all of that 95%, by their nature, belive that they are in the other 5%. Ironically most of the 5% are worried that they may be in the 95%.

#36 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 01:16 AM

I can speak Japanese :D

But not in this font :confused:

#37 Ion Mage

Ion Mage

Summoner of Ion Cannons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 01:30 AM

Heh, i'm (trying to) learn japanese :confused:
Magic and technology combined....

#38 Asmodai

Asmodai

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 02:39 AM

When I was like 14(18 now), my dad retired from the military and went to a vocational school to learn computers. Ever since then he's been the biggest comp nerd ever, and he buys every game he can find.  He got me Apoc and I loved it.  So one day I went over to his h00se and I was looking through all the games he had bought, and I saw UFO and TFTD, so I checked them 00t. I was used to Apoc and nobody dieing, so I ditched it for a while.  Then I got Interceptor, and i got back into all the games.
All the other times the aliens use their psychic powers to cut me into bite-sized pieces. The best is when the person you trust most turns around and shoots your Commander from 150 feet away inside smoke in the back of the head with his eyes closed. - Snikers

#39 Orac

Orac

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 09:47 AM

Warlord, on Sep 24 2002, 07:35 PM, said:

My first encounter with the wonderful world of X-Com was the PC Gamer demo of X-Com: Terror From The Deep.  I was about 14 at the time.
I got introduced from that very exact same demo (PCgamer) of TFTD.  Then the next week I went out and bought the floppy version of TFTD.  Somehow I got sidetracked from it for awhile, then came back to it again.  

Are you sure it was 11 years ago though?  I could swear I was somewhere in my mid or early 20s when that demo came out and I'm only 29 (practically 30) now.

Anyway, I remember thinking how great TFTD was, then I later found out how great UFO was (sometimes I think how much better UFO is).  I too liked how you could open doors in TFTD better though.

I never realized they didn't react to grenade tosses in TFTD.  That doesn't really bother me all that much though.  Actually what bothers me is how too many of the aliens in TFTD have insane reaction in general.  It's like in TFTD if you have to attack at a door, you can almost count on that soldier dieing most of the time.  Unless the alien is weak enough that your weapon will definitely kill it in one turn, and/or he's alone.  

I also always hated those cruise liner missions in TFTD.  They seems like they're just more to just put the hurt to you more than anything else if you should happen to try to actually complete them to the end.  Seems like most people just touch down shoot up any nearby aliens, then get the hell out of there as to not take a huge penalty for no response.  I can't say I blame players one bit for adopting that policy toward those missions.  Those types of missions are just no fun.  They're not even that rewarding.  They feel more like they're just there to punish you and ruin the fun.

Those cruise liners remind me of back with Doom when you'd see those maps that new designers would make that were no fun.  Like where they'd go overboard with making them difficult (i.e. put the player in a square room with 20 cyberdemons and no cover).  You'd pretty much load up those maps and play for like 10 second and figure that it was pretty stupid and pointless and delete the terrible map immediately.  You'd also ask yourself, why they expect anyone to play such a map.  That's how those cruise liner missions are in my opinion - what's the point of having them?  They detract from the the game for mere novelty.

I can forgive the developers though, because afterall they made UFO defense.  They're obviously excellent game developers.  So what if they made a few mistakes in TFTD.

Don't get me wrong though, I like TFTD.  It's just there was a few things about it that just weren't right.  Probably not the developer's fault.  I always got the feeling they were rushed to releasing it before they wanted to.  They probably wanted to polish and refine it more, but it just wasn't an option.

I definitely never regretted ever buying TFTD.  They more than earned that money between UFO and it.  If anything, in hindsight, I wish I would've bought more of their games so they'd still be developing games today.

UFO beats the crap out any game that even comes out to this day.  Maybe they have prettier graphics, but they don't have anything remotely close to xcom where it counts - gameplay and the ability to hold your interest for what seems like forever.  Xcom is so good that even in this day and age, I don't feel the antiquated VGA graphics detract from it in anyway.  They feel totally adequate since the game plays so well.  I guess I don't even notice that the graphics are considered antiquated.

#40 usmarox

usmarox

Baron von Tidworth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 04:17 PM

My first experience with UFO was the coverdisk on the April '94 copy of PC Gamer (the UK one).  IIRC, it was a snakeman terror site.  Went and bought it, played it to death (I did actually kill my first disk set, I installed it so many times :)).  Saw the TFTD demo in April '95, bought it, immediately had my first 24hr gaming marathon, and then sat around twiddling my thumbs until Apoc came out (I had Apoc on preorder for about 9 months :))
So I've been doing the XCom thing continuously since I was 13, all those years ago :) (I'm now an old man....turned 21 in september  :) )

"Don't deny it, Jack.  You're a helluva lot smarter than me."
"Thank you, sir."
"You just lack the sex appeal."
"For someone dragging a dead body, sir, you do talk big."

-May It, Ben Fischer's Kansai Arc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users