55 replies to this topic

#21 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 11:03 AM

If you're really worried about early sectoid terror sites, and you don't plan to use lasers, invest in more high explosives and heavy rockets. Beef up your soldiers to at least 40 strength to take advantage of the heavier weapons.

If you're playing on superhuman, don't even bother using pistols and rifles against cyberdiscs until they've been damaged.  Heavy and Auto cannons are recommended alternatives.

I've found that cyberdiscs need on average 3 HWP tank rockets to kill, whereas, with a handheld launcher, one well placed heavy rocket is normally sufficient.

Ever since taking Carlos's challenge, the cyberdiscs have been a real pain in the posterior. Now I'm going up against Chryssalids, and have learnt that the cannon HE shells are ineffective against them. Thank goodness for the cannon AP shells (gasp!) .

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#22 The Demi-Godly One

The Demi-Godly One

Gutseneintsenboughging all the time!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 11:57 AM

What I usually do is take over a etherial, the aliens will try to take it over and if they do
you get to keep it for the whole battle. I think that's because psy works by just telling
the computer to(at the end of the turn) give the unit to the side that it was taken from.(As in-George was taken from human side-next turn put George on human side) That's why you can keep a cryssalid when you take over the zombie and kill the zombie.
Anyways to kill a sectopod take over one corner of it, you can make it shoot, or try to
make it move, when you try to make it move the other corners will shoot at you in reaction
fire, but if you do manage the corner will just float off from the rest.
3.14. Mmm, pi.

#23 Crazy Photon

Crazy Photon

Lobstermen for breakfast!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 05:51 PM

I usually have laser rifles by that time... I play on superhuman though, so most of the time they have to eat 4 or 5 shots before they go down.... the problem is that they have awesome reactions, like 80 or so.... which means that as soon as I kill one the others react :confused:

Anyway, back on topic... I usually find ethereals not that hard, as I encounter them near the end of the game, and my soldiers are all psi-strong... Sectopods are quite hard though, as their armor is too heavy... I usually psi them (so they shoot themselves) or put a couple of blaster bombs....
Resistance is NEVER futile...

#24 NCC-1701-F

NCC-1701-F

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 07:16 PM

Oooooook, i just had my first ethereal/sectopod terror site,  i reloaded twice (i had to, but by god it worked), and i finally found the solution, i took my 5 crack troops (yea, only 5, it's tough to get more when ur clearing terror sites with 4 men) who all had high psi ratings (75 or higher, though 70 is ok) and armed them with the usual laser rigles & psi amps. And then i took my 2 other crack troops (low psi though) and GAVE THEM NOTHING excpet a medkit and motion scanner for one, and a mind probe for the other. Give them NOTHING else, not even in inventory, the inventory of any troops without a psi rating of 65 or higher should have NOTHING but non-weapons in them or carrying. If it's below 75, no heavy weapons, pistols and/or conventionals only. It works, lost one man, killed 14 bugs..... when the mind control your low psi guys, they can't do anything, and they can't get the high ones.... :confused:

#25 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 09:41 PM

I'd just like to reiterate something I said in a different thread:

Large terror units, when stunned, are counted as dead. They'll never get up again.

Now, stun bombs have a 50% chance of working every time you fire them. Sometimes the alien will shrug it off, but when it does work, it works. Even moreso with the large terror units, since they receive extra paralysis. At least 4 times more than ordinary aliens.

So, technically, all you need is one stun bomb per sectopod right? Wrong, you can kill multiple sectopods with one stun bomb if they're nearby each other.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work the first time, give the stun bomb a few more shots. Try and kneel and use aimed shots so you don't waste any rounds.

Heck, even more effective than a blaster bomb, but leaves buildings standing. :confused:

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#26 Psy Guy

Psy Guy

PSY MASTER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 09:46 PM

Actually in the PS verson I've seen reapers wake up. Just though i throw it out there.

-PSY GUY-  :confused:
News Today: Grav Ball League accepts the nomination for the "Vacuous Ally" award given by the X-Com Board of Public Relations. Experts predict that the two time Vacuous Ally winner Lifetree will win the award for the 3rd time following its $200,000 joint endeavor with General Metro to increase Blazer Turbo Bike production.

#27 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 09:57 PM

Well, technically, I've had 1/4th of a cyberdisc wake up too. But it couldn't move about, and didn't seem able to shoot back.

But it happens so rarely it's rather negligable.

- NKF

#28 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 10:11 PM

When you psi control a reaper, cyberdisc or sectopod (there's a challenge for you) you only get control of 1/4 of them. They see themselves as an enemy so it's sometimes even possible to have them shoot themselves! I once had a sectopod trying to do it and he just kept turning around saying no line of fire. It must've been hilarious to watch! :confused:
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#29 Psy Guy

Psy Guy

PSY MASTER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 04:34 PM

If you Mind Control a Sectopod (one part) then use up some TUs you can Mind Control another part of it then its TUs will be refilled. Nice for cheap alien extermination. (May only work for the Amiga Verson)

-PSY GUY-  :confused:
News Today: Grav Ball League accepts the nomination for the "Vacuous Ally" award given by the X-Com Board of Public Relations. Experts predict that the two time Vacuous Ally winner Lifetree will win the award for the 3rd time following its $200,000 joint endeavor with General Metro to increase Blazer Turbo Bike production.

#30 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 10:13 AM

wait till i tell you this! once, i psi'ed one sectopod square and when i moved it, it shot itself and died!

#31 JellyfishGreen

JellyfishGreen

Tentacle Pentacle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 12:43 PM

Ki-tat Chung, on Nov 4 2002, 11:13 AM, said:

wait till i tell you this! once, i psi'ed one sectopod square and when i moved it, it shot itself and died!
Yeah, I've had all of the following happen while controlling 1/4 sectopods:
- Shot the other part, sectopod died
- Moved around, shot other aliens
- Shot by other part, sectopod died

It's kind of unfair, as you shouldn't be able to psi a robot, right?
The deadly Lobsterman threat was finally countered by melee combat with power tools. -ufopaedia.org

#32 Psy Guy

Psy Guy

PSY MASTER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 02:24 PM

Yea i guess its unfair but... *obtains theory* Maybe the bots have psi receavers in them that allowed the aliens to control them while on the battlefield (notice the fact that only psionic capable aliens use robots). So any human with the proper psi skill could tap into that control and break its connection with its alien master.

-PSY GUY- :)

#33 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 08:25 PM

You shouldn't be able to knock them out with stun weapons either. On the other hand, the X-Com HWPs are the only units in the game that are immune to stun weapons.

The Sectopod and Cyberdisc obviously have some sort of psionic receiver in their electronics that is succeptible to electrical shocks (low temperature? Lack of air?). They may even have some sort of organic matter inside of them, ala the TFTD Biodrones. But who knows?

As for only controlling part of them, well, I guess it just goes to show that you need a lot of willpower to fully take control of one. Otherwise, you've only gained control of a small part of itself, and they will commit mechanicide if need be as long as the enemy threat is subdued.

As for the reapers, well, they've got two brains. The rest is probably just muscular spasms. Oh, and they're too dim witted to bite themselves. :)

I haven't got any clever explanation for the bit about the TU's refilling for every bit you mind control. Any takers?

- NKF

On a less related note: Anyone have semi-controlled sectopod get killed only to have it crumble into a heap that resembles a destroyed X-Com tank? I've had a variety of other weird alien deaths, like Mutons turning into female civilians...

#34 PvT Emil Thorsell

PvT Emil Thorsell

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 02:00 PM

Well the mutons kinda easy to explain he just went and became a transvestite :)

#35 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 07:22 PM

I haven't got any clever explanation for the bit about the TU's refilling for every bit you mind control. Any takers?

Well bear in mind that in the autopsy screen for a sectopod there is a little disk inside it's head. I think there's something similar in the cyberdiscs... This could be the organic nerve center of the robots and because of the size of the creature it would control subsections. Left leg, Left gun, Right leg, Right gun, taking the example of the sectopod obviously...
By taking control of only one part of one of these machines it follows to reason that it couldn't move. But for some reason it still can. (probably some kind of bug or XP virus :) )
That means that by the end of your turn you've used 1/4 of the robots time units. It still has three times that much left.
Besides if that wasn't right then how come they shoot themselves on their next turn after you've just used all of their TUs? :)
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#36 mirage

mirage

Frank Pearce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 09:38 PM

I used to have a lot of fun using mind control on the civilians during terrorism missions.  I would use them as fodder, and when the psi wore off they would show up as an alien and I don't think I lost points for killing them.. I'll have to try it again soon to be sure. :)

p.s.  where do you go to get a pic under your name??

I'm new here
Maximum firepower for maximum chunks

#37 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 03:38 AM

Um, preferences/avatar settings then select from the prefab avatars or upload one of your own.

You don't exactly get negative points for killing 'alien' civilians. You do lose the points you could have got for saving them.

Alien kills a civilian: -ve
You kill a civilian: -ve (only more)
You save a civilian: +ve
You kill an 'alien' civilian: 0

- NKF

#38 mirage

mirage

Frank Pearce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 06:52 AM

Well guys, a few weeks ago I started a new game at veteran diffaculty ( a little out of practice) it's oct 1999 on the game now, and for the last 3-4 months now it has been nothing but muton scouts! except for that muton battleship that wiped out a base before I could blink!!  I sure could go for a nice floater misssion.. I haven't seen them yet!!

I was wondering.. has any of you guys ever shared a game with someone else? as in having seperate squads/bases??  I just spent thanksgiving with a good x-com chum, and he wanted go get in on my file.  Now I'm back home and half of my stuff is all his creation, soldier names, gear.  It's kinda neat, but sooner or later there will be no trace of his stuff! hehe.
Maximum firepower for maximum chunks

#39 Cadmus

Cadmus

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 03:58 PM

To say something I said in another topic about Ethereals:

The first time I played against Ethereals it was on the Amiga 500 version, where alien mind control was permanent (probably a bug). I went in with two tanks and as many soldiers as I could fit into Skyranger. I came back with one man and one tank, both virtually dead. The man was my favourite soldier who pretty much took them all out, also killed most of his comrades. The last guy dead was one of mine, he was the prober who sat in the back of Skyranger, I drove the tank back there and rocketed him.

But it was pretty harsh you lost a guy when he got controlled.

EDIT : Of course when I had to destroy a Ethereal base in the USA I took so many blaster-bombs it was unreal, I don't think I got any alien stuff once I'd finished with that.

#40 The Demi-Godly One

The Demi-Godly One

Gutseneintsenboughging all the time!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 11:42 PM

I don't really find etherials hard myself... just very annoying!
3.14. Mmm, pi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users