City Under Fire

goku

Lots of explosives, prox mines in alleyways, spotters ducking behind cover. Don't stand in front of windows.

Deployment's the trickiest for me, so I follow NKF's suggestion now and throw a smoke grenade out first (aim at the bottom of the ramp to lob it over the tanks) and wait for the cloud before deploying. Then you can have one scout spotting and everyone else firing blind from the relative safety of the cloud.

You lose a few civilians, but save more soldiers. After I saw a blaster bomb whizzing by on the first turn, I reckoned the tactic had some merit. :confused:

Early on, keep your soldiers together. Not side by side, but don't ever run off alone. I never move a soldier without at least one more beside him.

If you work in pairs, you stand a much better chance of survival.

Also, move slowly. Civilians are going to die. There's nothing you can do about that.

Keep explosives use to a minimum. You can't afford to kill civilians. One X-Com killed civilian is almost as bad as two killed by the aliens. Later in the game, I won't even take explosives on a terror site.