IKernel Error and associated problems

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have recently ran into a problem running Silent storm. Originally it installed fine and I played it a bit then I didn't play for a while and now I have comeback to play and the program wont run. THe shortcut, the auto run nothing. The computer thinks for a minute and then nothing. so my first course of action as to run the repair fuction in the uninstall program. The operation goes smoothly until the end when I got an error.

"IKernel.exe- Application Error The instruction at "0x771c741a" referenced memory at "0x00163b60". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program. (though the memory at "xxxxxxx" may have been different for my case.)

So to remedy this I followed the instructions for resolution 1 at https://support.installshield.com/kb/view.a...ticleid=q108020 and downloaded the q329623_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe fix from microsoft which states that the casue is The Window XP Hotfix Q328310 conflicts with the InstallShield Professional 6.x engine because a call to the Win32 API FreeLibrary does not execute as expected. Then tried to run the repair wizard again, and viola no error but alas the game would still not start. So I completely uninstalled the game and reinstalled it again. No luck. So I moved on to resolution 2 from the same resource, which entailed:

"Although it is not recommended to uninstall a Windows hot fix, to workaround this issue, temporarily uninstall the problematic Windows XP Hotfix Q328310. Then, attempt to reinstall the setup and make sure to reinstall the Windows XP Hotfix Q328310 Windows XP Patch: Flaw in Windows WM_TIMER Message Handling Could Enable Privilege Elevation."

So I did this and still nothing so now I am all out of ideas. Some things I noticed that may be insightful:

1) Even though the US version of silent storm released was v1.2 I tried to install the patch to see what would happen, and a message saying that silent storm is not installed or not installed properly was displayed.

2) It seems like the game doesnt know where it is installed to? SO I looked in the registry with regedit and found:

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARENival InteractiveSilent Storm

Default value not set

Base version 4

Group folder JoWoodSilent storm

Install folder C:Program FilesJoWooDSilent Storm

Language USA

Uninstall folder C:Program FilesInstallShield Installation Information{489B040E-0A7D-4D37-A773-AEB8057935C8}

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARENival InteractiveSilent Storm1.0

Default Value not set

3) In the control Panel addremove programs the silent storm entery reads 3.43MB when in reallity the installation takes up ~2.5 Gigs. But all of the files are there.

I would appreciate any help that you could give me. Thank you

Specs:

P4 1.4 GHz

512MB RAM

ATI Radeon 9600 Mobile (Notebook)