Game Crashes

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey, anybody can help me with this problem: sometimes while playing S2 the game crashes my whole computer. It just shows bluescreen with blablabla about a second and then the computer boots itself. What is the reason to this? I have no problems with any other games.

My computer is AMD XP 2400+ (FSB 166, 1996mhz), Radeon 9600Pro (little overclocked too), Asus A7N8X motherboard (nForce2) and 1024mb 333mhz DDR memory.

My guess: FAST WRITE. Go into Bios and DISABLE "AGP Fast Write". It causes a lot of problems.

Run Prime95 ( CPU Stability Test, for 3 hours, and see if any errors are reported ).

Run 3DMark or anything else and look for any graphic glitches.

Get Motherboard Monitor ( or similiar ) and see what the temp is in your system.

----------------------------

Also: Install the 3.13 NVidia NForce 1-3 Drivers ( released 2 days ago, AFAIK ).

Set the 9600 Pro to default values.

Install older or newer Catalyst drivers.

Go from the top to the bottom of the list. If there are still problems...well, lets look for another clue.

Guest Anonymous

Thnx for tips:

i disabled fast write

prime has no problems after few hours

no grafical problems in 3Dmark01, -03 or Aquamark

Radeon 9600pro is now on default values

i have newes nfore drivers

i use omega driver

i have tested S2 after all that and again it crashes but this time it just crashes to desktop and wont crash the whole computer.

so the problem is still unsolved :(

It may be realte dto a known bug in v1.1 where the game crashes if certain events occur. In particular, chain reaction explosions.

Can you be more specific about what you are doing when the crash happens. Also, contact Nival is often helpful as they can look at your save game file and offer help. I've actually sent them a couple of mine while trying to find bugs.

I think it is just random. For somereason my computer dont have power to run it smoothly (im using low AA, no filtering, medium lights, medium texturequality, 1024*768*32b and still it "lags".

i think my computer should handle that :(

but anyway, last time it crashed to desktop while normal movement, no enemys sighted, no firing, just moving :(

Well im overclocker so i really pay attencion to heat issues.

My idle temps are case 26c socket 40c and core 50c

after use those are 3-5 higher exept case witch is normal.

No problems in any other games like Raven shield, Ghost Recon, Halo, unreal2 etc.

Is S2 using somekinda EAX or something like that cause i only have integrated souncard at moment? If there is EAX or other high-tech soundsystems how can i disable those?

Thanks again mates

I installed the game again and played few hours, no crashes. Its too early to say if i was just lucky or did it help.

Waiting for Nival to publish new patch witch corrects some bugs & stuff

so maybe even my computer can run S^2 then..

btw: anybody know if S^2 uses some high-tech sound systems?

Im using "Stereo" settings.

Guest Anonymous

I turned off the SMARTGART (make sure it is set for the real setting).

Even though my ASUS P4P800 Deluxe MB says it is x* compliant, it is really not a true x8 AGP Pro port. Many manufactures are playing games with this.

My 3.9 catilyst drivers for a Ati 9600 Pro was set to x8 and ran many games; but for SS I had to set it to x4 to make it work. I also shut off fast write also in the same panel. SMARTGART gets a wrong report from MB and tries to run the mid range Video card faster than it can handle.

I read alot of BS about the advertising tricks of x8 and x8 Pro AGP port specs. A true x8 Pro to tell the difference is at 0.8 volt and only very new MB and Video cards support that. Still, they will use x8 at 1.5 volt 'spec' to claim they support x8 data trabsfer rate -which is not really true . Confusing the consumer to no end.

I can now run the game for hours with no problems, I was having crashes all over. I have my quality setting at default (allow the game to determine AA and ANI).

Guest Anonymous
Well i have almost the same setup! and i belive it's due t oteh fact we use a7n8x deluxe moderboard and ATI card. Im not sure if this is the specific thing but do you use the onboard sound card - soundstorm? I do... It might be that or it might the the moderboard/ATI radeon stuff. Anyhow i experience the same sort of cras has you describe in Halo for PC aswell so i think it's not game specific... i will try to investigate this matter further....

Guest Anonymous

My computer is AMD XP 2400+ (FSB 166, 1996mhz), Radeon 9700Pro, Asus A7N8X DELUXE motherboard and 1024mb 333mhz DDR memory.

So you fixed your bluescreen problem? dope maybe i should try to reinstall aswell. But my guess is that there is a conflict in soundstorm and ATI display drivers or some shit. Im not sure but the game seems to crash for odd reasons the game doesn't even have to be stressed (multiple enemy movements etc) it could crash (bluescreen of death) for nothing at all.

Guest Anonymous

I have about the same configuration as you : Radeon 9700 and A7N8X Deluxe with an old XP 1700, and I use the integrated sound.

And pretty the same bug, excepted the symptom itself : the game does not crash, but part of the sound is no more played.

I uninstalled my MB drivers, and installed last ones... And got my system crashed systematicaly some seconds after the login screen.

After some searches, I found I had to change my graphic drivers to get a stable system with the last MB drivers... I now have to shutdown the computer manually... And the game doesn't work better...

You say you formated your system, Rook, and accuse windows (an old habit !). But shouldn't we accuse ATI, ASUS and NVidia too ? In particular after having changed BIOS settings to get it working !

Guest Anonymous
My computer is AMD XP 2400+ (FSB 166, 1996mhz), Radeon 9700Pro, Asus A7N8X DELUXE motherboard  and 1024mb 333mhz DDR memory.

So you fixed your bluescreen problem? dope maybe i should try to reinstall aswell. But my guess is that there is a conflict in soundstorm and ATI display drivers or some shit. Im not sure but the game seems to crash for odd reasons the game doesn't even have to be stressed (multiple enemy movements etc) it could crash (bluescreen of death) for nothing at all.

I have same configuration except slower (266 mhz) memory. And the symptoms are the same. Sudden crashes not only to desktop but normally to restarting the computer. My Windows XP asks if I want to report it to Microsoft and if I do, it reports that the reason was a device driver but does not tell which one.

The combination AMD, Asus A7N8X deluxe and Radeon 9700 do not work.

Crashes come more seldom if I run Enditall to shut down other programs before playing.

Guest Anonymous

I disabled AGP fast write from Bios, and no crashes after that (ab. 4 hours of play).

I continued the game where continuous crashes stoped me previously.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I was having random crashes and the crash would reboot my computer. It was happening in various parts of the tutorial and I could never finish it. I just bought the game.

I did a search on this forum and saw a recommendation to do a "CLEAN BOOT" and there was a link to the microsoft website support. I followed the instructions for a "clean boot to avoid problems in a game" (msconfig, etc....) and I have not crashed. There must be some conflict/problem but the clean boot will only load the programs to make the computer run. Without having to reinstall the OS to reset any problem this could solve your problem.

Just wanted to pass this along since it worked for me and it makes sense. I still play X-Com every once in a while and this is a great game. I was extremely disappointed but now I can this great game.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous
Game keeps crashing.. i have tried many different settings. I have Ati radeon 9600 pro. should be running pretty smoothly with it, but it keeps crashing all the time. I can play maybe 1 or max 2 rounds from save game and CRASH. I have also tried to move soldiers in different patterns. No change... CRASH.. Heating cant be the problem. All drivers up to date. XP updated. Fast write off didnt help.. reinstalling windows no help. underclocking didnt help.. This game is just annoying. Nice game if someone could fix it. Some dumb coders. Kick their ass.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous
I came on here because I've had the same issues that you all are having, and what do you know. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and an A7N8X Deluxe mobo. The weird thing is, the game never crashed when I first installed it, this problem just cropped up a week ago.