8. Ingame Text

sigget

• 9 years later...

And what should I do if I want edit item's ingame Name or Glossary description? I.E. I wish to replace default "Pump-action Shotgun" name with "Winchester-1300" and add some extra info into description.

Links provided by Sigget in 10-th of 12.2003 are no longer actual so I can't make any use of them.

Edited by FG-42

(NOTE: Following is UFO AL, I don't have experience modding AM or AS so those may be different!)

It depends on what the item is. If it's a new item with a new ID you've created you can give it a new 'STR' name in the equipment.txt file and the display text in the pack.txt file in the localization folder. Bear in mind that most of the pack.txt items have two entries, one for the short description and one for the long description. Note that if you add entries for these files all except the pack file will need the item array value changed to count the number of entries. The last entry in the list has a value (Not sure what this is called, but it's different from the ID number) one less than this array value and when I add in an entry I put in the value for this before the entry:

IE:

PTR 0

;manufacturable

PTR 0

END_OF_SubItemTemplate

;----------------------------------------------------

;260

SubItemTemplate RECORD

the ';260' is the number that is one less than the initial array value listed. This is because they start with a blank entry usually that have a value of ';0' to begin with.

If your item is an existing item then DON'T change the 'STR' name in the equipment file. Even if you change all the relevant entries in equipment.txt, pack.txt and entity.txt the thing will still mess up, most likely getting the description wrong in game. This basically means for example if you want to change the existing shotgun's text in-game then you'll have to put up with leaving the equipment name the same in the equipment.txt and entry.txt etc and just remembering what the new STR name is there and just change the pack.txt displayed name to alter what comes up in game. I usually add in a comment after the 'STR' name to show what the new name is. IE use the ';' char followed by the new name:

STR name "HumanShotgun"

; mod change- STR name "AutoShotgun"

the game ignores the second line but it'll help you remember that you've changed it for doing other entries.

Oh, and I used the 'Waybackmachine' to try and read the old entries online for lost links. It doesn't always work but try right clicking on the link and copying the link address then going to WBM's website and putting it in there. Might work if it happened to store an image of strategycore or other websites back then. I've had some luck with Shadow Warrior's tutorials so far like this.