7. Graphics

sigget

If you change model.txt files don't use a text-editor, it will mess those files up. A hex-editor is recommended. If you change text in those files make sure you use the same name length for the new entry. e.g. units/blabla replaced with aralz/blabla. This is essential when adding faces, as the new faces have to use a new file with the same name as the old faces-graphic file, but in a different folder. (Unpack the rebalance mod to see more exactly what i mean).

The icon graphic tga files use a mask channel, make sure you use a program which can display AND SAVE those masks. Otherwise the icon will be not shown ingame.

You can edit some model.txt files with a text editor, I think it's only the files which don't contain binary data.

Editable with text editor:

tactical\models\weapons\*.*

tactical\models\units\humans\*.*

Require hex editor:

tactical\models\interface\items\weapons\*.*

tactical\models\interface\items\magazines\*.*

The text editor I use is Notepad, better text editors may avoid corrupting the files but I doubt it.

Be wary of checking for changes visually. If you make a copy of a file in tactical\models\interface\items\weapons\, open the file in Notepad, save it, close it, open it, then open the original in Notepad the two files will appear the same but have changed (comparison with a hex editor will reveal this).

If adding an item (weapon, magazine or armour, I've only tested this on a weapon), you can add an image in the inventory interface where the rotating model usually is. The image/video is actually a flat rectangle 3D model with a graphic or video as its texture. These interface video models (IVMs for brevity) are stored in "strategic\models\interface\equipment". The IVM file is text+binary so use a hex editor to modify it.

To link the IVM file to the item, write the path and name of the file in the VIDEO field of the item (surrounded by quotes). To display an image, open the IVM file with a hex editor and change the FILE NAME entry to the path and name of the image you want to display.

The image will be displayed upside down if it is a graphics file instead of a video. The IVM file included with the TNT plugin changes the model to display the image the right way up, use this as a base or edit one of the original model files. It is based on the Flare IVM file found at "strategic\models\interface\equipment\weapons\human guns\h_eq-flr_3d.txt". If you have difficulties editing your IVM file, compare these two files in a hex editor to see what was changed.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
Try this link to our old X-COM site on Archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/20021208213936/...g&p=modding

We'll hopefully have the modding section back up on this site when we roll out our next big update in the next month or so, but that should work fine for now.

Thanks mate, but I don't think that'll help me with modding AM?