ComboMod 3.0

Aralez

Yesterday i played a base-defence mission. This has to be the hardest mission i ever played in my whole UFOAM time. I tried to ambush the reticulans in a small corridor where two rooms were facing each other.

But: The enemy didn't show up. I waited almost 15 minutes but noone appeared.

So, i had to go and search for them, this was something i did not want to do as i had only two guys with big weapons (one Bfg4500 and one guy with two needlers) the rest carried ordinary guns, one of them even the standard shotgun.

So i silently sneaked trough the halls, keeping some distancce between my units to make sure one plasma shot doesn't kill more than one, but on the other hand kept them close enough to give fire support. Nothing happens for some minutes as i slowly go down a loooooong corridor in the time consuming way i explained above.

Then at a corner suddenly 5 (!) reticulans show up at the same moment. Here i needed to reload as i had options set to no pause during messages and got COMPLETELY wiped out in seconds.

Ok, after some VERY long and intensive fighting and even more intensive reloading i finally could overwhelm those five reticulans :( Still, i had lost two units and my medic had to heal the rest.

ok, i thought, only three retis left to kill, easy meat compared to the five that appeared together. Well, so i thought. But around the next corner: A disco-reti! :(

To my BIG luck it carried a Heavy-PSI-weapon and could shoot at one guy only as the others were in cover. Even better: The controlled guy walked AWAY from my team, down the next corridor into a close-by storage room.

As the reti can control only one unit per controller, i decided to make an attack with my BFG-unit at the disco-reti. I got him in sight and shot in burst mode at him! He merely lost ~20 percent of his health! And worst of all: My controlled unit became "free" at that very moment and the reticulan turned around towards the bfg-guy. I could empty the magazine of the BFG in another burst at the reti before my unit was taken over. (good for the other units standing close-by). But at the same moment my now uncontrolled unit saw two retis standing directly in font of him!

Under usage of several more reloads and lots of different tactics i could

-stun and kill the two new retis

-weaken the discoreti and finally kill him with a knife in closecombat (thx to a surprise attack from another unit)

-Result: 8 dead reticulans (one of them a disco-one), 2 dead humans, 4 guys in the hospital. I could level up 5 units, one of them two times. The base was held.

Russian base? Area51? I don't fear you anymore, this mission was harder.

I kept reloading during the mission as i somehow wanted to find a way of defeating those reticulans with the weapons i had, even if i had flares and knifes only.

I took me at least ~25 reloads to do so :(

(I'm using the ComboMod and the Tough-AlienMod on medium difficulty, and the camera- and the skills-mod, too)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's basically my style of play with Aftermath. If I lose more that two or three soldiers, I reload and try again, and I keep reloading and retrying until I find a way to win the mission with three or four of my soldiers still alive at the end. A time consuming process if you are seriously outnumbered or are significantly outgunned.

So Aralez, how many hours did it take to win the mission, especially after the 25 reloads?

I mostly used stun weapons, knifes and grenades and the controllers that the aliens dropped. But still i had to take every piece of ammo with me that i could without turning the speed of my units to awful :( And i used almost all of it.

Without first aid packs? Ahem, no :(

Hi,

I've just started UFO:A with ComboMod 3.0 a few weeks ago, and now became unable to proceed because of reproducible crash. I have already completed original game without any mods a few times, so I can't help suspecting this crash is originating to ComboMod.

I've been successfully completing all missions until second secret base mission, where you obtain Dreamland Archive. I can complete the mission, and obtain the archive without a problem. However, once I complete this mission, I can no longer load any tactical missions successfully. After completing Dreamland Archive mission, when I try to start any tactical missions, an error occurs at 90% of loading. I am running WinXP so I don't get detailed error name, just a dialog saying "We are sorry UFO.exe caused an error..." or something like that.

I tried many possible solutions, such as uninstall/reinstall the game and the patch 1.4, deleting *.desc files, running in safe mode, delegating all outstanding missions, but no luck. :(

I am running the game in the following configuration:

Windows XP Home SP2

Pentium-4

RAM 512MB

More than 80GB of free disk space

RADEON-9800Pro

Onboard Sound (without EAX)

UFO:A v1.4 with ComboMod 3.0

If you have any advice, I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

And thank you very much for creating this greatest Mod!

Your Mod literally reincarnated the game! :(

markhunt

ATTN: UFO:Aftermath.co.uk

The ComboMod 3 is missing in action on the MODS page.

No, I have not downloaded it yet, since it takes me quite a while to do that. I was waiting for a better time.

Fixing it or something??

I will check back to see when it is updated again.

Thanks!

End of ATTN:

:(

We have taken it, Earthlings!

And so they will stay for a little while. As I thought I'd mentioned before, my server is now gone. I gave up on the idea of a "The Fall" fan-page, and server space is expensive. I'll make a news post on it, and maybe we'll move the files here tomorrow. Sorry for the trouble.

Regarding the Combo-mod, you can get it at Gamer's Hell in the meantime.

Red, i found the bug! It seems the modelfile for the female powerarmour is missing, the male model works flawlessly. I will update the ComboMod right away (for future downloads) and will post a fix-file for those who don't want to download the whole mod again. Sorry for the trouble.

Great Mod, thank you for it!!!!!

Now, if you permit a bit of critizing... and some constructive thought...

well, I noticed that OICW and A2GUN both behave as throwing weapons in combat, meaning you have to click on enemy that much time as you want it to shoot, and A2GUN is way to weak (maybe I used it against wrong kind of enemy, if so, sorry) also I am getting some item without picture and name in the subscreen OTHER in squad screen... bug of some sort? (game is patched to 1.4)

also Lurker Gun, Needler, Gamma Flak, Gamma particle thrower, sniper, lasergatling and both BFG-s have no ammo? a bit useless if used in a protracted fight with aliens... even a Gamma Particle thrower needs 3 hits to down alien in green armour...

also power armour and berzeker armour, while they do have picture of heavy armour (btw. thanks for all the effort put into it) they do not behave as heavy armour (meaning you can't put and real goodies on to them)

on the other hand very good balancing of all the other aspects of the game...

as for constructive thought... here's an idea for sniper rifles, make them REALLY powerful (one shot, one kill) and really long ranged, but with extremly long aiming time, and make their range begin from, let's say 20 meters. so in effect having true long range weapon that cannot be used against targets that are TOO near. just like in real life, I mean, you could use sniper on someone standing 5 meters from you, but... why? or if that's not possible make them really inaccurate at ranges 20 meters (number is debatable) or less?

also it would be WAY cool if you could have your soldiers lie down on the ground... but i believe that's not possible, right?

also, it would be GREAT to have all those items in glossary, would it not? if it's possible to add it in, I could write down some text for those new weapons and other goodies...

sorry if message is too long... had lot of time to think about it :(

The A2Gun too weak? Are you sure? :( I remember having to decrease its damage as it was way too strong in the first release... Oh and which of the both ammos is too weak ? The long-lasting flamethrower or the regular ammo?

The weapons "without ammo" do have ammo, but they can only be recharged in the base, they have a fixed number of shots, once they are empty you have to use something else, as they have to be returned to base for new ammo. This is the same for some weapons of the unmodded game, e.g. the turrets. We made that because those weapons would be too strong otherwise.

The enemy that needed three hits to die is maybe an enemy we added as a "reticulan general" It has an extremely good armour and some good weapons as well. (secret: It has a weakness: Fire!) If it's shield changes its colour you found him.

Or maybe you did hit the reticulan with a weapon that was weak against that special armour?

Speaking of armour: The game is programmed to only allow two heavy armours, sorry. Can't do anything there. But those two armours have other strenghts anyway. AND that way you still have a reason to use the original heavy armours. :(

The main idea behind the mod was to give every piece of equipment its own individual strengths and weaknesses. So nothing would be completely useless after you received another item. We worked hard to balance this out (especially Lurker and Kret) and i hope we acchieved a part of that goal.

The snipers could need a change, i will ask BlackAlmaz to change it a bit for the next version. I think he had them toned down a bit as the enemy was a bit too powerful with them, but i could be wrong. I'll note that for him (He's gone for some days)

Glossary-entries are difficult and soldiers on the ground are not possible. The first could MAYBE be added but we need a volunteer to change the file as we never thought it to be important :( We once had a guy who wrote the textes for the glossary, but he never delivered the completed mod file. And we had no experience with that file so we left it out.

I hope i could answer all your questions ?

Thx for your constructive critic and keep those ideas coming!

Note to BA:

User wishes:

1. Add an "incendiary" rocket turret

2. Recheck the damage and balance of the Sniper-guns (increase) and aimtime.

3. Add that "riding" enemy you posted about

4. Add even more enemies. (Predator, "Aliens" etc.)

5. Add the changes Kret made to the energy weapons

6. Make the Alien Psi-Blaster stronger. 50 damage is not enough. Make it useful.

7. Make the Alien laser cartridges usable in the human laser weapons. This would give them a use and they wouldn't flood your storage room. Maybe with a lesser capacitiy then the human ones, so those still need to produced.

8. Give Warp-Medikit more range

9. Give Psi-Crusher a different damage-type (soft) and give it a nice small explosion animation (so that it is different from the Psi-Blaster) and change damage (increase a bit)

10. Let's take a look at the smoke-grenade-animation, can we make the smoke last longer?

11. Recheck A2Gun damage

If i missed any wishes post here!

Too bad you could not just upload the new files, as downloading takes me a long time.

Is this going to GamerHell website link?

Well, got to download it all again!

First time, I tried it, it was well, done, in a flash. Move the ComboMod out, and went back to my regular game so far.

Try the ComboMod again later, when more up for it, I guess!

Raion, don't worry, the new version will not be uploaded before i made all possible tests that there are no files missing or any bugs included, this will take a week or even more.

The alien cartridges will not work in the human weapons, tested it, didn't work.

Regarding the A2Gun, it does (30*85 )= 2550 damage PER SHOT with the bullets and 900 damage with the VERY longlasting (and thus damaging) flamethrower. I really see NO need to strenghten this weapon even more....

Any other wishes? More close-combat reticulans for example ?

I made a mistake, and all my Squaddies died, like I said, in a flash! (first mission).

Have to gear up for that ComboMod, as I did not expect that, or Me as Leader to hand my squaddies to the graveyard, so quickly!

But I put it on the Apolyton Forum, in case anyone who had/has the game can know where to find some mods for UFO:Aftermath, and the ComboMod.

Now, it is kind of done?

Oh, well, improvements will be made, and that is all right!

Back to the game!

• 4 weeks later...

Aralez thxs for thr PM and i Still have not used the ComboMOD. ^_^ yet!

cause I haven't finnished the game.

I just started playing the Russian Drop off and I DID it! around 20+ re-Load Game :) Half of it were Crashes by the game.

And I MADE IT! :( NO USE of MEDIKIT! even though 2/3 were Badly wonded four of them 1/4 of Health left. Darn those Blue Reti Alien Rocket Carrying Launchers. - there were three of them and one Alien MicroSlug Accelerator that ambushed my scout, when she stuck her head thru the gates.

Got her pretty little tushie shocked from Full Health down to 1/4, while running away from that rapid fire electric sound. :( Scaaarrrry! :(

the most helpfull weapon i had was the M79 and a lucky position :( that was able to take down the blue Retis from a distance. cause most of my troops were equiped with plasma rifles (alot of help that was... NOT!) :( and only two had a L115AE.

:angel: a BETTER Accomplishment was NO Game re-LOADS while during the Base Infiltration and retrieval of the suit case! there were NO blue retis and all four of them were hiding in the file room and three of them only had laserguns. :((can you say SNIPED?) and suprisingly it didn't crash on me while on the base. :)

??? I redid the Base Infiltration from the outside entering the green box. and the spawnning of the Rets were still the same there were no blues. ???

:( So, am i just lucky? or this talk about the "feared" Russian base supposed to be hard? :(

Greetings,

Fantastic mod! But, I have a slight problem. I just got a Toshiba laptop and installed UFO Aftermath, the 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 patches and the game works fine. I then installed the Combo v3 mod and now the game loads to 80% and hangs. Are there any other mods I need to install first?

On my desktop I've done lots of mods and removed them (I think) and Combo mod v3 works fine. Yeah, different platform, etc. but it makes me think that one of the other mods left something behind that Combo Mod v3 liked. <grin>

Take Care,

Koloth