Aralez

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aralez,

Sorry, you missed the point. New laptop, clean install of UFOA, patches and combomod v3. Hey, we can always blame XP SP2! <grin> Is there any way to turn on a log of what it's doing during loading?

On the desktop which has had lots of mods added and removed combomod v3 works great! Maybe I should just copy the whole thing to DVD and copy it over the version on the laptop... It's not like I have any games on the laptop that I want to keep.

Take Care,

Koloth

Okay, Copied the entire UFOAM directory from the desktop to the laptop and <drum roll> it didn't work. In fact it locked up at 80% during loading, just like before.

Since both machines have XP SP2, I'm thinking it must be something to do with the actual hardware drivers. By the way, I forgot to mention that although the game plays fine on the laptop, there is one small anomaly. When changing "scenes" (loading a mission, etc.) the background graphic is distorted. The loading bar (thermometer or whatever it's called) and the text are fine, but the background picture looks like the top 1/3 of the picture is at the bottom instead of at the top.

Even if we don't figure this out I'm better off than with my old laptop which wouldn't even run UFOAM. (400 Mhz IBM THinkpad 600E)

I have very recently finished the Russian Base mission. In the 3.0 mod. On Hard.

Oh. My. GOD.

Casualties haven't been NEARLY this high in my games since...well, since ever! Even that time I tried to go through the game with pistols wasn't nearly as deadly. I have one and only one troop that has been in my team for over a year. Oh, the reloading I've done!...I could go on and on. This is certainly a much harder version of the game than the original ever was. I like the new aliens and I like the new soldiers. The knives, chainsaws, armours, grenades, medikits and so on have certainly turned the intensity of the games and the necessary planning up more than a few notches. However, there were a few things I was let down by:

- BFG9000. WARPDESTROYERII. LURKERGUN. What do all these gadgets have in common? Besides evidence of a broken caps lock key, they are all extremely unbalancing. I deliberately keep from using them because they are so ridiculously overpowered. They wreak havoc, have incredible range, fire fast and most terrible of all, they are immediately and costlessly reloaded when they return to the base, as psi devices and mounted machine guns are. I don't mind big damage - the NUKER, for example, has a huge damage rating, as does that red high explosive whose name escapes me, but both have serious drawbacks which limit their effectiveness. The three mentioned above, however, do not.

- There's no reason to use any other pistol besides the DECKER. Is this deliberate? It is flat out superior to basically any other one-handed weapon.

- Let the poppers use their explosive ability on lone soldiers. As they are they're largely ineffective - the only way they can get close to the troops is in the early game, and at that point the enemies are weak enough so that you can safely split up your troops.

- Remember how the hypnogas was largely untested? It has no effect that I can see. Just some feedback.

- More easter egg characters pretty please? Just sayin' is all...

well..if i have a good rest in the next few days..i might consider adding a sniper cericktor....and even a new body webbing..and stuff like that a..just might work

ohh and i'll remakle the styr again..cause ive been using the thing for way to long now...to be happy with this model

I have very recently finished the Russian Base mission. In the 3.0 mod. On Hard.

Oh. My. GOD.

Yes Snikers, its suposed to be hard although this mod was never tested in a fullscale beta, so id say no wonder some things arent perfect. Its actually a bunch of mods stuck together, thanks for your report,

ps: no need to post things twice. :(

• 2 months later...

Question, by the way. I started a game shortly after installing the mod. The first mission I went out on, a morelman killed both my soldiers at once using some weird new pistol that made the area around them just explode without any visible projectile heading towards them... Hard is one thing but that is insane -.-

I tried again today, and I made it through the first few missions, but then during what should be another easy early mission all 3 soldiers got killed at once by a cudgel with a friggin' BFG!

Is this normal with this mod?? O_o

I'm sorry, but that is -not- okay.. I think I'm going to see if I can't find a copy of the old rebalance mod instead, last time I used that this kind of junk never happened. -.-

Okay, I did a little check. I downloaded the mod through our mods section here. The "Download" link takes you to Gamer's Hell, and if you download that file you'll find this content in the .zip:

- Combo_mod_v3.vfs

- combo_short-readme.txt

- ethereal.jpg

- old-readme-stuff.doc

If this is not what you have, you have either downloaded from a "unapproved" location, or have an older version. My guess is you have an older version.

As for the Combo-Mod being hard, it's supposed to be. Not impossible, but harder than normal. Aralez and the others know more about tactics on this (Lurker?) and can probably give you some good tips. Oh, and if you download the latest version of the Combo-Mod it is probably better balanced than the one you currently have. Hope that helps!

Still, there has to be some way to figure out how to scale the difficulty so it starts off relatively safe and gets harder as you go, like the unmodded game.. If the Aftermath devs could do it why can't we? o.o

I'll try redownloading it through that link, but gamershell was where I got it from the first time too... meh, I don't trust them -.-

• 2 weeks later...

That's strange. I'm at home for Easter, so I can't test at the moment, but I'm sure someone else can. Since I've not heard about others having this problem however, it is very possible there's a problem with your installation. You have version 1.4 of Aftermath?

Oh, and good to have you back :D

Yes, I got the 1.4 Full Update (1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 all in one download/installer)

Also, the Cudgels are having a nasty tendency of using the Hover Launchers. Suffice to say, they're kinda stupid and tend to use them at point blank --;

post-1519-1111406481_thumb.jpg

It only likes to barf on "Destroy blahblahblah Installation to protect it" so far.

Edited by Cap'n Kyth