Tough-Alien Mod ready!

Aralez

Readme:

This mod changes the difficulty in UFOAM to MUCH higher levels.

-Your recruits will be weak, unexperienced, rare to find.

-Aliens will be a lot tougher, faster, come in higher numbers.

-Research and development will take longer.

-etc.etc.

Installation:

Simply put that VFS-file into your main UFOAM-directory. Start a new game. Works :(

About:

The main idea behind this mod was to give experiencd UFOAM players something to do, usually they can win the game on hard wirth closed eyes, one hand bound to the back.

This mod works with the RBMOD, ComboMOD, Camera-Mod and several others, basically all known mods for the 1.3 patch.

Have fun!

You can contact me at Aralez1@hotmail.com or at the forums here: https://www.ufoaftermath.co.uk/

--------------------------

The file has been sent to Slaughter and some modders and should be available soon. If anyone wants it earlier mail me at the address above.

It's not very big (9kb only) but has a big effect on gameplay, i can tell you! :(

Btw, Slaughter, i can't post in the "Mod releases" forum, eek!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only used the maximum which was already in the game for the hard difficulty level (now too for the lower difficulties). So you should see no crashes.

And in the "crash-mod" which was not from me btw B) another file was altered (listofenemy.txt) which i did not touch.

Oh and of course this mod should work without any mods, too :(

oohhh..i thought you only sent it to slaughter....damn..and i wastes a hall new post, saying that you sent it to the wrong person

and i think the alians ahould by no means be more acurate....there good eough on burst mode...i cant hit them with singels, and they can get me with burst...so whats fair right

but if its just armour..than i agree.....that my team will die..very very very quickly

Hm, i'm not sure if i could raise the accuracy of the aliens, even if i wanted to. ???

But after some playtesting i feel like they are still too easy to kill, maybe i should raise their hitpoints and speed even a bit more. The human units are ok so far, they are weak at the beginning but slowly advance to higher levels (if they aren't killed before.) The Chompers hitpoints weren't altered yet as the Poppers might become too deadly but i experiment a bit more :(

Slaughter, please wait before making the fle downloadable!!! Ii will send version 2 to you asap (and to you others, too of course).

No, they take more hits but aren't invincible. I wish i could make them even more deadly... Somehow they still feel a bit too weak. Btw i'm playtesting the mod with the 6.8RBMOD as some weapons in the Combomod are a bit unbalanced and i wanted to test it on a "normal" game :(

Has anyone tried to let the Deathbellows move? Just an idea... :(

Now that would be interesting, even tho they don't seem to have a move animation, their breathing stance and a very slow movement might make it realistic enough.

Other than that, you could make them roll-over their huge bodies :(

Okay, I've just downloaded the mod and I'm looking forward to getting my wossname kicked.

Would it be possible to make ALL alien weapons impossible for a human soldier to use unless he happens to be wearing heavy armour? Then bump up the range and damage of alien lasers and plasma launchers so they match human laser and plasma rifles. It would still be worth while developing the hybrid weapons because a soldier would be able to use them without sacrificing his mobility. Then increase the strength of alien EMP missiles to give the player a reason to want his soldiers to be able to run around a bit.

Also, a training course should last a week at least :(

You modders learn from my error: Don't rename working files before you send them, leave the name as it is. :(

Accounting Troll: That would be possible, but first: please re-download the newest version (version 3) and test my mod, then look if you will ask again :( Should be available soon (Check readme for a bit more info). The easy setting is now slightly harder than the Hard setting in an unaltered game.

Beware: The Chompers are faster now, just like dogs should be :(

version info so far:

v.1. : too tame

v.2. : wrong name, insane

v.3. : nice game

:(

Aralez:

Can the tough alien mod come and go?

Or will subsequent saved games be ruined should you happen to remove the Tough Alien Mod after it has been used and games have been saved?

As usual, I'm trying to figure out what is safe and what will corrupt saves or crash the game.

--

I got rid of Zone Alarm recently after upgrading to XP Service Pack 2. I'm now using the new and improved Windows Firewall. I'm curious to see if any of the SP2 changes will alter the frequency of Aftermath crashes or eliminate them.

I just wish I had a lot more free time to give it a real testing. So little time!

Everybody else switched over to Service Pack 2? I have sometimes been wondering if SP2 would introduce new and interesting bugs into Aftermath - something that hasn't been seen before. Months ago, I remember people complaining that running Internet Explorer and then running Aftermath caused crashes - older version of Internet Explorer and 1.2 of Aftermath. So, who knows what 1.3 of Aftermath and new IE with popup blocker and new SP2 will do together?

--

I too am going back to RB6.8. I have some saved games for that one.

Kret: A rolling Deathbellow, now that would look... interesting :(

Accounting Troll: Sorry for all the hazzle but the third version works like a charm now :(

Lurker: I think it is a "movable" mod , albeit the stats of the existing crew won't change, only the one of the new recruits. BUT i wouldn't remove it during a tactical savegame, some crazy stuff might happen.

And no SP2 for me atm, i'm happy with SP1 , maybe i'll change if 2.1 is out :(

Slaughter: Thx again !

I started a fresh game with 6.8 mod, FPC mod and Kret's skill mod installed on "easy". The aliens are pretty tough and you have to learn new tactics! The Stunner and the knife are the weapons of choice, a direct aproach like usual and you are dead in seconds. Cover is now even more important than before. Believe me: You'll love the stunner and the stungrenades and similar weapons. And you really have to choose between weapons as you can't take six or seven of them with you as usual instead you pick a rifle and a second weapon, the knife, a grenade. More you can't carry without crawling like a snail. You have to pick one guy as a medic as the medpack is (now) heavy as hell and you need the firepower of the others.

I'm really excited about the later game and especially about my next goal: A base mission!

UFOAM is exciting again! I wonder who will be the first to win on Hard with this mod installed :( He'll surely deserve some kind of tribute!

So, what mods are you running Aralez?

What's this about Kret's skill mod? Is it the same thing as the Tough Alien Mod, or are they different?

--

Service Pack 2 installed, and Zone Alarm Firewall gone. I played a couple of tactical missions with 6.8 Rebalance, and no crash to desktop. The scenery was simple though, and I now have to try to remember which weapons were giving me CTD's. It seemed like it was the M4 Colt. Have to try loading that up with the other weapons and see what happens.

Some moments I have a very strange feeling that the newest versions of Zone Alarm and Aftermath 1.3 didn't like each other, but it's way too early to tell or decide for sure. Over the past twenty years with computers, whenever I have said, "It's not crashing anymore," then it starts crashing again. :(

TYR, the Tuff-mod works with the Combo-Mod as well, i'm only waiting for the next version.

Lurker, the skill-mod changes the RPG-part of UFOAM a bit, it's in the download-area and not very big.

I tested the Tuff-mod with

-No other mod

-RBMOD 6.8

-ComboMod 1.0

-Skill-Mod

-Camera-Mod

-Xcomsoundmod

everything worked.

Btw, i re-discovered that you can change difficulty even after a game started by changing the value for KEY "difficulty" INT in the file UFOOPTIONS.TXT in the savegame's folder into 0 for easy and 2 for hard (or was it the other way?) Anyway, 1 is medium :(

Do I get any kind of tribute for being the first one to lose the tutorial mission? :(

I knew it was going to be tough when the danglefly in the tutorial mission took seven shotgun hits in the face before it went down. One pistol shot from the cudgel and Malcolm was unconscious.

Next time, I healed Brian before I took on the cudgel. I'm looking forward to the Russian base mission B)

I'm using the Alpine plugin and I haven't run into any quality control issues yet :(