Pilotfix tool v1.0 ready

Kret

This is the readme from the tool:

UFO: Aftermath - Pilot Fix Tool (v1.0)

This tool is intended for missions (normally urban) where the pilot's "pick up" square is either in a building or in a river (basically being unaccesible)

The tool can't operate directly on the game's parameters, but it can correct a tactical saved game so the area is located where the pilot really is.

The best use for this tool is to, once you've started the mission, try and reach the pilot (you might end up killing all the transgenants along the way and thus not need to use the tool). Once you've gotten there and don't wanna bother hunting the remaining transgenants, save the game. Now either ALT-TAB out of the game (or quit if your machine has alt-tab issues with the game), drag and drop the vfs file for that save (if you want to do it manually see the "CLI usage" bellow) and once it's done you should reload the same save and your shoul no longer have problems reaching the pilot.

Pilotfix will always generate a backup file named as the save file with the added .bak extension to it's already .vfs one. The tool will not modify a file if it can't back it up, so if you use the same save for all the buggy pilot missions you should remember to delete the backup.

Pilotfix will create temporary files for it's correcting process. It will try to delete them at the end.

The code consists of 3 modules

- The vfshandler (based on sigget's vfs specification sheet @ https://www.geocities.com/sigget2003/)

- The tact parser (a very basic parser that analizes the files for the needed correction)

- The MD5 module (The MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm)

CLI usage:

pilotfix

Eh, I hate to be the first to complain, but...

I used the fix as explained in the readme file, and the entire process of patcing my save seemed to go well.

Trying to loading the save, on the other hand, gave me an error message, before shutting down UFO:AM.

The message was titled 'assert_fatal', with the following text:

'ver:UFO:AM RELEASE 1.3 file:C:\ufo_src\ASL\kvfs.cpp line:330 Bad version (0.000000) of filesystem. Should be 1.000000.'

My only option was to click 'OK'

This is no big problem for me, as I can always abandon the mission. Just don't know how to explain it to the guys back home at HQ... :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Grehan

Thank you for the welcome, Slaughter.

The fact that I did not join until I had a problem with the game, says a bit about my character, huh? Antisocial, even towards the 'computernerd-community'.

I think I'll start a fresh game of UFO:AM... Wouldn't solve my 'pilot' problems, but at least I'll kill some time until an answer to my problem comes. Limit myself to three soldiers, or something.

-Grehan

If any issues are found that could relate to the tool itself, please send the original vfs file with it's desc file and the strat files that go with it here Kret_25052004@hotmail.com

Also, just in case I can't reproduce the error, send over the resulting "fixed" file.

The error seems to be related to the 1st word found in a vfs file (wich is always 1 in float and is the version number). Odd tho, the tool doesn't touch that value. Let me just double check

Ok, fixed, sent the file over the Slaughty :)

*** CLI usage ***

pilotfix [-nofix][-1]

switch explanation

-nofix: Won't attempt to fix the file

-1 : force setting vfs version number to 1.0

Note: the vfs MUST appear before any of the switches. The switches can appear in any order

*** Changelog ***

v1.0 -> v1.1:

Added:

- "-nofix" switch

- "1" switch

Fixes:

- Fixed code in vfshandler where it would corrupt the vfs version number and cause errors when loading the game in UFO: Aftermath

------

Grehan (or anyone else), if you still have the "corrupted" vfs file use the version 1.1 of the tool the following way:

pilotfix -nofix -1

These two options were made to direcly fix the version number corruption caused by v1.0

If you don't then just use it normally, v1.1 doesn't corrupt the version number (I've tested this)

------

One more thing: If something is wrong with my tools, don't hold back, DO complain :)

Edit: I can't believe I just found the edit button