RB-Weapons-Mod 1.0 !

Aralez

Ok, the first version of the "RB-Weapons-for-Aliens"-Mod is ready and can be downloaded here !!

The file is very small (9kB only!) and is meant to be used with version 5.6 of the RB_Mod. As this is the first version, there will maybe be problems with gamebalance, albeit i did what i could to make it to acceptable.

here the readme:

Readme for the file which makes your Transgenants already carrying weapons, carry RB-Mod weapons as well.

Just put the "eq_mod.vfs"-file into your UFO:AFtermath folder (where the RebalanceMod 5.6 should be already installed, otherwise the game will crash). You shouldn't have to start a new game if you have a 5.6 game already saved it will work. (No guarantee, though).

Have fun,

Aralez

Grenades, the really heavy weapons like Nuker, Hover etc. have been left out in this version, maybe i'll do a hardcore-version of this mod with them in it. If you want that mod, post a request in the forums here : https://www.ufoaftermath.co.uk/

----> Ok, if you have problems, ideas etc. regarding this mod post here !

My only suggestion is that in the Readme you tell us which weapons you gave them that they didn't have before. Then we know more clearly what the mod does. I tried the mod for aliens, but so far, I'm just seeing the routine laser and plasma guns on the Reticulans.

And, along the same lines, if you make a hard core version of Rebalance weapons for aliens, again please, list in the Readme the weapons which they were given that they didn't have before, so that a person can judge more accurately what he's getting into and what the mod is supposed to do.

The best news is that having the new eq_mod.vfs in the UFOAftermath subdirectory is NOT causing any computer crashes. That's always a good thing, no computer crashes. Looks like another winner from Aralez.

Been running 'naked' with the RB56 and now the eq_mod on English 1.3 of UFO:AM.

Okay, after posting, then I start seeing the effects of the eq_mod. One Morelman took a chunk out of me with the Magnum. He really made my day. And another Morelman killed one of my soldiers with a Mini-Launcher handgun.

I take it that those aliens now have access to the Rebalance weapons. :)

Good stuff.

And, now I have two RB-weapons that you can add to the Readme file for the eq_mod, when you get around to making a list of the things the mod gives the aliens that they didn't have before. :)

Ok, here the list:

(Where different ammo types were available for the guns i added one loadout for each ammo type)

Magnum

Decker

Uzi 2nd Ammotype

Minilauncher with 2 ammo loadouts

AK-101

XM8

G41

Barrett mit second ammotype

falcon with second ammo type

Neostad

CAWS

pumpgun with core ammo

autocannon with all ammo types

OICW 2 ammo types

Saiga12

Sawnoff

small question:

do they use these weapons along with the Alien-ones or instead?

Caus of the Question: i don't like the cludgels and flies (there are damn few of them and i haven't played russia-mission yet ;/ ) to carry the alien-weapons only (i gt enough of them otherwise :) ).

Imho an alien with an OICW or Magnum or Decker-gun will give me more headache than one with a plasma-rifle (or even one of those annoying plasma-launchers ... i hate those splash-damage-kill-my-men things :) ) so it wouldn't make the game easier ....

so next Question would be is there a simple Text-list where they "choose" a weapon based on a power-rating, compared to the equipment that my squad uses/has access to?

and can i delete certain items of it as easy as fine-tuning the weapons for myself? (e.g. one standard H&K-setting on their automatic guns is 3-round-burst .... so has my OICW now :) )

Or is there a percentage-value for the propability-of-use (weird english, i know :) )that you can set for each wepon?

questions over questions ...

greets

BS

They use the weapons they used already AND the new ones. All of the possible loadouts are stored in simple textfiles, just unpack the mod and look at it. If you want to remove a loadout make sure you change the number of entries right at the start of the file. Oh, and make sure you don't use multiple ammo types in one loadout, it seems that causes the game to crash. And look at Fulbys "Human raider" plugin, it teached me how to add those stuff. Excellent work, Fulby!

And no there is no probability setting or fire-mode setting i know of. But you could increase the probability of a special weapon to appear by simply adding multiple entries of it in the list. This was also discovered by Fulby. Damnit, he's one busy and clever guy :):)

I did another version of this mod, this time the "HARD" one. Get it here: Download

I had to leave out the gyro-weapons as they looked wierd on the transgenants (they seemed to float on their side), but ALL other RBweapons and Grenades are included.

BEWARE: This is NOT for the already challenged UFOAM player, this is REALLY tough. :)

Now you can show what you are made off :)

In the HARD one, were you able to give them all the ORIGINAL weapons as well, like the Gattling Gun, the Collapsible Railgun, and the other Heavy Weapons?

Just curious.

I didn't know whether that could be done or not, for the HARD version, giving them all the ORIGINAL UFO:AM weapons.

The ReadMe didn't make it clear what of the original weapons made it into the HARD version of the eq_mod.

Please read my post again. :)

I guess I'm now trying to determine if you consider the Warp Resonator, the Gattling Gun, and the Collapsible Railgun as RBweapons? If so, then you included them. If not, then you consider them to be ORIGINAL weapons or Gyro weapons and didn't include them?

Most of us don't know which weapons are the GYRO weapons, BTW. I don't know which weapons are the GYRO weapons. I think gyro must be something you use while modding?

I understand from your message that all the Grenades were given. But, I wasn't able to figure out from your message or the ReadMe if all the ORIGINAL pre-Rebalance HEAVY weapons were given.

I guess if I live long enough to bag a few Reticulans, then maybe I can go over to them and see what the were actually killing me with?

Anyway, your message wasn't as obviously clear as you thought it to be, at least not for me. Language thing combined with the fact that I have no modding background?

Well, when Aralez sees these messages, he can tell us what he means by the Gyro weapons.

But, I do indeed wonder if he was able to give the aliens all of the ORIGINAL weapons along with the RBWeapons. I just didn't understand what the HARD eq_mod gives them, and when. Still don't.

--

--

I did try the HARD eq_mod, and so far, I haven't seen any difference. The Reticulans are still carrying only the laser weapons and the Advanced Plasma Grenade launcher things.

Doing a little self-diagnosis, I concluded that my problem is that the Russian Base or the Kapustan Yar mission hasn't been offered yet, and that's when UFO:AM usually gets hard. So, I'm figuring or shooting in the dark and concluding that the reason that the Reticulan's aren't getting the hard weapons from the HARD eq_mod is because I'm not far enough into my current game to see the difference.

Of course, I have been using the ALLITEMS cheat in order to test all the weapons and give timely feedback so that Arelez has some input to work with as he refines the Rebalance. Only have seventeen bases right now, so I'm not into it far enough, I assume.

I'll have to try the HARD eq_mod some more, but so far, I haven't seen anything more than the standard fare of ordinary original weapons from the HARD eq_mod, so it almost looks as if it isn't working. But, the last time I made such a report concering the original eq_mod, then all the new weapons suddenly started to show up. Maybe it takes a few missions for it all to kick in?

Just guessing. But, with all of Aralez's neat creations, I was beginning to feel that it was time for a truly hard mission in which you lose everyone. I'll keep testing.

Meanwhile, I want to download the 6.01 and give the new clothing a look. It takes time but has been a lot of fun.

Thanks again, Aralez.

Ah, sorry for my lazyness, you're right. (Gyro is a modding-term, the weapons which are only carriable in heavy armour use this class, just as Bulletsix said).

OK: I will update the readme right when i come home from work, i have to go there in 5 minutes :) Cu later

Ok here the updated readme:

This is the second equipment mod which gives the Transgenants most of the RBmod weapons and original weapons except the "Gyro" weapons, which require the heavy armour to work. (as they look strange on Transgenants due to a model problem). The original human laser-, plasma- and warpweapons aren't given to them, too, because they have such weapons in their own alien version.

Just put the "eq_mod.vfs"-file into your UFO:AFtermath folder (where the RebalanceMod should be already installed, otherwise the game will crash). You shouldn't have to start a new game if you have a RBMod game already saved it will work. (No guarantee, though). Beware the game will be EXTREMELY difficult if you decide to use this mod.

You can delete this file or switch to an easier version of it without problems, just delete this file and you're ready.

Have fun,

Aralez

Mail problems and ideas at the forums at

https://www.ufoaftermath.co.uk/

>> The new file has the same downloadlink <<

Lurker, i started a new game to test the hard_eq_mod without cheats and well, i was BBQ'ed before i realized what happened :)

In the first mission every enemy was unarmed, but in the second i was attacked by a Minilauncher-Cudgel, the third mission saw my crew stunned by a flashbang and then killed by melee and a G-41, SO i guess the mod works :)

What you experienced (no aliens with RB-weapons) is maybe caused by your game being "late-game", the loadoutfiles i used are only used in earlier levels. Later the game switches to laser and plasma weapons. Or it could be caused by the allitems-cheat, which causes the game to go nuts. I think it (the game) tries to balance itself despite you having all the weapons. Maybe it switches to what it thinks better loadouts and skips the "puny" rifle and pistol loadouts. And of course, the game switches to other Mutants instead of Cudgels and Morelmans later in the game.

Well, from all the feedback I have read concerning this subject, I get the feeling that there are multiple loadouts possible throughout the game, and that the Reticulans get different loadouts than the Cudgels and other Transgenants.

That means for the HARD_eq_mod, all of the 'dozens' of potential loadouts should possibly be replaced with the single 'give-them-everything' loadout?

Now, it's the MEDIUM_eq_mod that gets really tricky. In that one, each of the loadouts will have to be replaced with a well thought-out custom loadout. The initial game loadouts should be such that only a few items are given, the mid-game and early Reticulan loadouts should have a bit more given to them, and the end-game should be giving them a lot more of the stuff.

Of course, some will step in and say that the initial loadouts for the HARD_eq_mod shouldn't have the endgame weapons in those loadouts, and that the middle game loadouts should give the Reticulans more than just the alien laser and alien plasma weapons.

Anyway, in order to do it 'right,' I imagine that you will have to isolate or find each of the different loadouts that the game offers and create a new replacement custom loadout that's right for that part of the game where it will be used, depending upon the difficulty range that is being targeted.

In other words, my 'late game' or 'mid game' original hard difficulty loadouts need to be replaced as well by the 'give-them-everything' loadout that currently only shows up at the beginning of a game?

Hm, a "Give-em-all-everytime-loadout" would be possible by simply copying all files into one file and make them use that file only. Shall i do that mod?

--

I would say yes, do that mod. You could call it the UBER_eq_mod, or some such. Basically what the UBER_eq_mod would do would be to give a game player an extremely challenging or impossible game whenever he wants such a game, no matter whether he is standing early game, mid-game, or late game.

When he has had enough, he removes the UBER_eq_mod from the directory and replaces it with another eq_mod, or no eq_mod at all.

Now that I think about it, the HARD_eq_mod and the MEDIUM_eq_mod (and even an improved EASY_eq_mod) are where the artistic skill, finesse, and deep thought will come in when each loadout throughout the game is carefully replaced with purposeful and intentional improvements fitting for the specific stage of the game.

In theory, the HARD_eq_mod should be winnable at times during any stage of the game so that the game can continue forward and progress can be made with the HARD_eq_mod.

The UBER_eq_mod, would be the 'dead end.' Whereas, if the HARD_eq_mod is also a dead end, then many people won't find it useful, because a "dead end" game doesn't get played for long. So, the HARD_eq_mod should be winnable.

I think BlackAlmaz wants to get his butt kicked once in awhile, and the UBER_eq_mod would guarantee it when he wants it. And the HARD_eq_mod should risk it or gamble it so that sometimes we win and sometimes we lose.

You should probably wait to do the MEDIUM_eq_mod, and build it off of the things that people tell you to take out of the HARD_eq_mod. Perfect the HARD_eq_mod first so that it flows right throughout a whole UFO:AM game. And then refine over time a scaled-down version of the HARD_eq_mod that becomes the MEDIUM_eq_mod that the typical user prefers to run with.