ALPine

Fulby

UFO Aftermath

ALPine provides a system for "plugin" style modding for the game UFO: Aftermath by ALTAR Interactive. By creating mods as ALPine plugins, multiple mods can be applied to the game at once.

ALPine features a Graphical User Interface for players to select and apply the plugins they wish to use, and a Plugin Installer to simplify adding new plugins.

With this version, ALPine no longer brings up any console windows when it's processing plugins.  It's less annoying, looks better, and you can leave it in the background and view other windows if plugin processing is taking a while.

A few other changes:

The Mod Wrapper now supports mods with names "mod*.vfs" as well as "*cfg.vfs".

The GUI layout has been changed to better use the space.

ALPine 3.0 requires UFO: Aftermath version 1.3.

Click here to visit the download page.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

ALPine 3.0.1 is now available from the ALPine website.

The only change in this version is to improve the error messages the GUI displays. It now displays a stack traceback, which lists the Lua files in use and the line number which caused the error. This should allow plugin creators to track down the cause of errors more easily.

Fulby

Hey Fulby, you've done a good job on ALPine.

I was wondering if you're planning to add more than one parameter option so that users can customise a plugin more.

For example in the Blood Patch that I've recently created, I'd like for users to customise the length of time the blood stays on the floor and the amount of blood released. At the moment I plan to attempt this with just the one parameter but it would be a lot easier for myself and the plugin users if there were two.

I'm not sure how many other mods would make use of the second parameter, but it would certainly be a nice feature to have :)

Hey Fulby, you've done a good job on ALPine.

I was wondering if you're planning to add more than one parameter option so that users can customise a plugin more.

For example in the Blood Patch that I've recently created, I'd like for users to customise the length of time the blood stays on the floor and the amount of blood released. At the moment I plan to attempt this with just the one parameter but it would be a lot easier for myself and the plugin users if there were two.

I'm not sure how many other mods would make use of the second parameter, but it would certainly be a nice feature to have :)

It would be difficult for you, so you want me to do something difficult instead? Cheers :)

I was originally going to use an IP address box as the paramter edit box, because this has 4 fields and hence 4 parameters. Each is limited to a maximum number of 255 though so I used a normal edit box instead. Just a bit of history you probably didn't want to know :)

What I'd suggest is using the parameter as a two digit number, the first specifying the amount of blood (1-9) and the second the length of time (1-9). I used a similar system for a (currently unreleased) plugin. It's even extensible for people wanting three parameters :)

Fulby

i have one problem...cause i cant install those paches....its no longer competable with my game no mater how many times i tried......i still have 2.8.1.....can u help??

I assume you mean ALPine is no longer compatible with UFO version prior to 1.3? If so, there's not much I can do about it. You could try renaming "modalpine.vfs" to "alpinecfg.vfs" and see if that works.

Fulby

It would be difficult for you, so you want me to do something difficult instead? Cheers :)

I was originally going to use an IP address box as the paramter edit box, because this has 4 fields and hence 4 parameters.  Each is limited to a maximum number of 255 though so I used a normal edit box instead.  Just a bit of history you probably didn't want to know :)

What I'd suggest is using the parameter as a two digit number, the first specifying the amount of blood (1-9) and the second the length of time (1-9).  I used a similar system for a (currently unreleased) plugin.  It's even extensible for people wanting three parameters :)

Fulby

hehe, thought it would be simple enough to implement, but I understand where you're coming from :) . Probably not too many plugins would make use of it and the one param will do the job anyway :) .

The two digit solution was one of the ways I was thinking about, or using a delimeter between each value, eg. 1:2:3 (if I wanted a third param). Seeing as you're familiar with Lua, I don't suppose you know if there's a function for seperating a delimeted string such as "split" in vb and "explode" in php (I think), do you? Or would I need to trawl through the Lua docs? :)

Cheers :)

The parameter is passed as a number (non-negative integer to be more specific), you can't actually enter non-numeric characters.

The Lua reference manual (section 5.5) will give you more details, but given a number with digits "abc" (i.e. 123: a=1, b=2, c=3) do:

c = math.mod(PARAM, 10)

b = math.floor(PARAM/10)

a = math.floor(PARAM/100)

I think that should work. You'll then need to check that each parameter is within the range you want. c should default to 0 if the parameter only has 2 digits, same with b when the parameter is a single digit.

Fulby

Speaking of multiple parameters and Alpine plugins, I was wondering if there was anyone who knew how to make a Personal Combat Teleporter out of an Alpine plugin for version 1.3 of Aftermath? Kind of like the teleporter that was available in XCom Apocalypse.

The one parameter would be rate of recharge varying from no time to a long time.

The other parameter would be when the device is introduced into the game - from right at the beginning, to early, middle, or late game.

Does anyone know how to use the modding tools or Alpine in order to make a Personal Combat Teleporter for Aftermath?

• 5 weeks later...
I've been thinking of a small problem with ALPine Fulby. Not really ALPine itself that is the problem, but the download of the plugins. When you download a plugin, windows think it is a zip file. As a result, if you do not choose "All files" instead of "Zip file", it renames the file to someplugin.alp.zip. As a result the plugin is opened in winzip instead of the ALPine installer. Are there a way to avoid this?

What browser are you using? I just downloaded an ALP file using both Mozilla Firebird and IE 6.0 - both downloaded without adding a .zip extension and without any changes in the dialog boxes.

IE recognised the file as type "ALPine Plugin", which may have prevented it from scanning the file to identify it. I assume .ALP files are associated with ALPine on your system but it's a possible reason for IE to try and determine the file type.

Fulby

Hmm, it seems WinRaR is making trouble. I have associated the .alp files with ALPine, and double clicking them is working fine. But when I try to download, IE6.0 says "WinRaR ZIP archive", and stores it with .zip as a surname.... Anyone else have this problem?