Iron-Man Mod (early beta)

Aralez

Ok, here's a mod for all real men (and women of course), who think they can beat Aftermath with their eyes closed. It basically does the following things:

-Removes all start equipment except the stuff from the tutorial

-You'll get only one or two pieces of equipment per conquered base

-You will have 7 people max. (at the end of the game!!!) and eventually the two rescued greys, most time of the game you will have less.

This is a beta, the full version will maybe see the following things: (I'll do some polls after i get some feedback here in this thread)

-Remove the ability to produce and research alien/hybrid weapons/equipment (so you will be limited to human weapons only)

-Small start equipment (so it is a bit easier)

-Changes to the tutorial equipment?

The main idea is to "live of the land", you kill one or two Cudgels or Morelmans to get some equipment, capture some bases to get more etc.

Beware: This is a beta, so expect this thing to be probably unbalanced or VERY difficult. Or probably even undo-able to some. (You have to completely rethink your way of fighting, use the "bug" of the game that will always fill up the magazine in the weapon when returning to the base, or kill a cudgel, steal his weapon and abort mission to save ammo etc.)

The idea for this emerged when i saw a similar mod for Diablo 2 on their modding site (phrozenkeep).

The mod will be in the mod section soon. It is a small modcfg-file, which you will have to put into your main aftermath directory to make it work.

Remember this is a BETA, so leave my head on my shoulder :) The final version will include a proper readme and wil be Alpine compatible, but first i need some feedback and ideas.

Maybe if this works out good, i'll do a "warstory-thread" based on this mod, but first your feedback, ok? :)

Cu! Aralez

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, honest feedback?

I personally play XCom and Apocalypse to get to the futuristic weapons and armor.

Truthfully, I kind of get bored with all the human weapons in UFO:AM after awhile, and the good stuff is slow in coming, or at least it was in version 1.2.

What I would want in a new UFO:AM mod is a whole bunch, one or two dozen, great new weapons, grenades, and armors right at the start of the game.

I loved your original rebalance ideas that added whole bunches of new things to try immediately at the creation of a new game and that tried to make the good stuff show up sooner in the game. I wanted to try your Cyborgs, but everything fell apart on me, errors and stuff. I liked RetiHalf and HalfGrey. And, I would like some pure tough androids like were in Apocalypse.

I am not die-hard enough to want to play UFO:AM all the way through with only the human weapons and only my original team. I live for the future and endless recruits!

Hope I didn't offend. But it was you who originally gave us all the good stuff, and what I 'real'ly want is more of the same, cuz you was the greatest!

i have played with only human weapons...it my favrite.......but u cant pass the last mission just using them........so i like the idea...but i never loose players...well at leat i try not to....and at the end of almost all my games it my original squed...but i just use the other ones while my guys train........this game needs new ideas...and new stuff...the dificulty is okey...so i think we should consentrate on the stargate mod.....here is a site u should check out, its for half-life 2 but its a good idea

and the weapons look way to cool

https://www.ghostopsmod.com/weapons.html

If anyone want's it i'll mail it to them, just post here. @Lurker, this is not intended to replace the Rebalance Mod, the next RB Mod will be out soon, this is just for players liking a real challenge. I wanted to add an alternative to the ways Aftermath is played mostly. I played some missions with this mod and it works out nice . The gaming experience is way more intensive than the usual "gather-shoot-heal"-way of doing missions. You'll really take care of your equipment, believe me :) To improve even that "feeling" i recommend to use no saving when playing this way during the game.

Oh and BlackAlmaz, i'm already a beta-tester of the Stargate-Mod :) I'll try to help them as good as i can.

Oh and just you wait for fnurg to release the new RB-Mod he added a lot of good weapons! Some of them are available from the beginning, too. Believe me: you'll like that mod :) (I had the opportunity to see some of his excellent work in a small preview he did send me, WOW!!!)

Oh and BlackAlmaz, i'm already a beta-tester of the Stargate-Mod  :) I'll try to help them as good as i can.

Oh and just you wait for fnurg to release the new RB-Mod he added a lot of good weapons! Some of them are available from the beginning, too. Believe me: you'll like that mod  :)  (I had the opportunity to see some of his excellent work in a small preview he did send me, WOW!!!)

Just out of interest Alarez are you planning on doing a "Naked" Version of the next Rebalance Mod?

The current mod is awesome and especially in the "Naked" state it's brilliant to run alongside other mods like the sound and musicmods.

Cheers mate

Hm, the RB5.0 looked pretty much finished to me and he wanted to release it before Xmas, iirc. Maybe he had to do some re-writing due to the 1.3 patch.... Or maybe he's just enjoying his Xmas holidays :) Ah well, let's wait until january, i'm sure he will be around here again then. :)

hey...aralez...just tried this mod....and this is the way it has to be.....its way to hard even for me....i started having trouble when i ran out of shotgun rounds....cause i hade only round 5 clips of rifles...hk g36. 5 clips...hk g...something and a fal....but i ran out of those first...on a base out side....

i see a fly...get my use guy behind a truck and to of my guys far enogh to give support...fly dies....1,2,3,4 coudgels apear..all but one with deagles..and one with a mp7( 2nd base i'm taking....)

3 go down no problem but my uzi guy gets flancked by the mp7 dude...and cause there is no armor...i'm doomed....i lost a guy....with enraged his brothers in arms....took that freack down with haste..and no thought bout oncoming enmies....with there asoults on one clip each they see anouther fly.....(this is all bout 5 m from start..) with a hk g36...it fire bursts...my best man runs for cover but is mouled down in the enemy fire........

the last team meber checks his meg..."damn no bullets left....he runs up to a dead muty...and greabs the deagle....runs to the corner fires of a round before his gut is full of lead.....

this mod is great but u should at least be like this.....two expereants soldiers servive...one a sniper/soldier...the other a medic....with a bit btter guns and basic armour....(cause we get no armour at the start) but the rest have to wait untill we get more bases...make those soldiers real like( soldier...(ak,m4, or the other hk+a pistol..and a few nades) (medic (rp90+ pistol+1 smoke nade and 2 medic kits...make his capacity high...(so his fast and inteligent) your first squed....

Spasiba for your input BlackAlmaz,you are right: i will change the starting equipment a bit in the final release. Regarding soldiers and levels: I will make the new soldiers start with a higher level, too. Thx again!

Btw, what do you think, shall i include the Rebalance weapons and equipment to this mod? Or shall it stay as it is? I would have to use the version 4 weapons, though, as fnurg didn't post the v.5 addon yet...

Oh, the rate of new eqipment will be addressed in the new version, too. Atm you get a bit too much stuff when a new base is won.

to tell u the truth i think we should wait in case the new mod does come out.....but i think its up to u....i would just like it with out the mod....dont ask why...its just me........ohh and can i ask u to make a personal mod for me.....

i want an elite squed....what weapons dont the alians use????....those are the ones i wnat to be upgreded to almost unstopeble....just to make the one shot one kill thing more real with ther skill levels.....eg....m4....range very high.....but efactive range very low....but power very high...hmmm...i think i make no sense.....

lets try a again....can u make these to guys in your mod.....to have speciel wepons.....eg modefied....whait for the new mod and see what it has to offer

thanx

...i'm rwaly suffering from my old habits....rambo style....

i just need some armour.....got 6 bases...have 4 units....have no weapons...except for the m4( well thats the only one that has heaps of ammo.)...i use that bug...guns reloed when back at base...thanx for the tip.....

but i have no armour...i have helmits but no armour...hmm...

my last mission...i just quit the game to right this....

i play it coll kepp my guys in teams of 2...clear evry corner...but come to a fly..and it damegis me more than i expected one goes done...fly goes down....i heal her....but anouther enmy comes in during the proses...and his down and so is she before she can pick up her weapon...thnk godd my other team want that far away......."area secured...the take whats left of the medic kit and heal him....but there is not enogh for her....so he stays with her while they run around....cleard half the base...i cant see any enmys in rooms or naywhere...than out of nowhere...enmy spoted by my wounded guy.....he swiches to shotgun.....runs to the corner and neals...whaits pationtly...and then bam in the back another comes in...clearing them both out with a glock.....(all becaus i had no armour....and i cant get the stupid paches to work...)

is it your mod that makes the m4...stronger???

lol......i got advanced armour combet rmour befor i got basic armour.....andcause i dint take any ufos down at the start my first was a battleship....me and advanced basic armour with one clip in each gun......

it makes u think alot...but i would like it....if there was a uniform...like seals....or urben type at the start...it beats the green overalls.......

when u get the armour it becomes almost the same as it is on without the mod....but...harder to get to the level.....

but the strategy u have to use is prity cool...

and tip...get a guy with a shot gun...and a m4 in his backpack....m4...for weack units(30 bullets)...shot gun for dogs...and other tuff coockies(6? bullets)

Ah, it's nice to see a guy knowing how to take this mod :) Atm, i think of taking some of your suggestions (one special weapon per unit, stronger units etc.) and combine them into a new mod, maybe even a Total Conversion. But as fnurg seems unreachable i will do this on my own, so please be patient. More info will follow tomorrow in a separate post, atm i have to get some sleep. :)

Ok, here's what i thought about:

-7 units right from the start, but maybe with NO replacement (maybe non-human)

-They will be very stealthy but will have low hitpoints and can't carry much (at the start!) BUT: New levels and trainings will bring you much more improvement than usual.

-Uniforms for that guys

-Armor will be exceptional good against one type of damage but weak against others, there will be several to choose from (one for plasma, one for laser etc.)

-FIXED set of ~10 weapons to choose from right from the start, no other weapons (human/alien/hybrid) will be usable by this group! This weapons will be strong but highly specialized, so you need a mixed team to cover each others weaknesses.

Basically what i'm after is a kind of RPG-style of gameplay with a hunter theme in mind. I'm not sure if the "hunters" will be human or alien, what do you think? If they will be human, i have the problem to find a reason for them not using the other human weapons..... If they will be alien, well, what reason would they have to rescue earth (at the end of game)... Or what about some cyborgs secretly developed (along with their new weapons-set) in a high-tech-base, hmmmm...

-Voices and faces and other textures for those guys will be changed (except when they are human, then the voices will stay)

So basically, i need two answers: What race shall the group be made of? And what is the reason behind their task?

1.Aliens (Non-Reticulans) , some kind of predators, hunting for fun

2.Humans (Maybe from a moon-base, they were born there (used to small gravitation, therefore can't use the "heavy" earthling weapons)), want to save good old earth

3.Cyborgs (Trained only to use the special weapons set) programmed by their developers to free earth.

What do you think? Do you have other ideas?