Patched Apoc in XP, still Crashes

PillarSoldier

I was having all the typical Apoc in XP problems.

-File Buffer problems during install. (40/0 instead of 20/20)

-Sound card not detected.

-And crash after intro (that didnt work) where white blinking curser appears in upper left corner and then returns me to desktop.

Well, I downloaded "VDMsound" installed that. After that the intro worked but was REAL slow and choppy, everything else same.

So I downloaded "xcom3fix.zip" I followed all the instructions and started Apoc. Yay it worked, but the mouse was to slow to play.

So I downloaded "MOUSECTL.COM" which you modify the .bat file from "xcom3fix" that starts Apoc. Great! Now mouse is good speed, sound works (cracks a little but works), game starts, plays, BUT totally freezes up when im playing, the only option i have is to turn of my computer and turn back on.......

Im so mad ive done everything i can think of and read about here....so if anybody has any idea about how to stop it from freezing please help!!! Apoc is a awesome game and im about to go crazy if i cant play! LOL :D:D:confused::cry:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Ok, so that guy will never come back, but i will. So i was curious if anyone ever figured this problem out. after all the fixes and patchs... and hair pulling my game still freezes up for no reason right after i start playing it. i've done everything short of installing win 98, and if i can't figure out the solution... well thats just what i'm gonna have to do i guess... <sigh>

that plane avatar is very familiar to me...

i play with the slow mouse and do fine, just going from XCOM with the super hyper mouse to xcom 3 with the slow mouse then going back is very difficult to do when i cannot get my mouse the right place because it is so sensitive :P

Well actually I am not gone forever, just really busy, but I still have not got apoc working.

That Windows 98 Partition sounds interesting, how is it done?? I might try that its not to hard/expensive.

But yeah I have used all those patches but when you get into the game it total freezes. :P

Anyways if anyone is ACTUALLY playing on XP it is your DUTY as an X-Com player to help us out here!! lol

BTW heres the link to the site that i used as a guide to get as far as i did https://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?act=ST&f=26&t=841

Hey believe it or not i have good news....im playing apoc on XP. I'm using the DOSBox thing, but only after applying all the mods that I mentioned at the begining of this subject. Its a pain to mess around with the frame rates and the CPU cycle speed to get it fast enough to be playable, its still a little slow and choppy but, hey its apoc, and i was desperate. :P