Problems with UFO in XP

ValveJam

So I've got the Collectors Edition, but when I tried to install and load UFO, got garbled graphics and that was it. Stumbled across this site, and specifically this forum. So I've downloaded f0dder's patch and Turbo, and the game works and at a playable speed. Admittedly I've got to strangle my 3.4 P4 down to 30%, but its worth it for that classic gameplay!

However I do still have an occasional problem, I'll be playing the game as usual when without warning the monitor will refresh itself back to the desktop. Normally I can just click on the X-Com tab and get back into the game. A couple of times it has crashed all the way out. Any ideas?

Its not such a major problem that it stops me playing, but I would like to know if there is a solution. Ta.

I have exactly the same thing happen: sometimes I'll go for a few hours without a problem, then BAM! Suddenly I'm back at the desktop. I now save before and after every mission, so I don't lose too much time. As you say, it's no big deal, but it is a tad annoying. My guess is it's graphics card changes over the last ten years or so - the same thing that stops me playing the first two Thief games.... grrrr....