3dsmax plugin?

Maimer

its generally the artists preference, either one can meet the needs of any artist, but some started with one or prefer one and therefore stick to it.

If we could also get a plugin for gmax that would be great, it would increase the amount of people capable of modeling for the game. Only advantage in this case that 3dsmax users would have over the gmax ones is that they can render their works for display.

TMK, the maya PLE doesnt allow plugins so if there were one for it it would be limited to the full version users.

And incase anyone is gunna accuse me of usiog warez i have a legal copy of 3dsmax

Actually, it is not possible to make a plugin for G-Max just like that. You have to buy a license from Discreet and this costs about $30k, so that's why only some games do it.

It would be however possible to do this in two steps: you could use some official plugin for G-Max, e.g. Tempest that uses an open format (Quake II in this case) and then write a converter from that format into our format.

I know this is not the most straightforward solution but this is a solution that has no legal problems.

Flexporter is widely used to export from 3dsmax, i have no idea of the legality of this but i guess its legal as long as you dont use it for commercial purposes. The other way as martin says is to convert from another format. The problem is that in every step of conversion things get lost, every format supports its own set of features and has its own conventions. what we need is a format that is supported by most programs and that carry at least the funcionality that ufo:am needs.

I dont have time to work on this, but i have looked at the ufo model format. If someone decides to give it a try id be happy to assist.