UFO Defense on a 486 Laptop

Strong Bob

Yeah, after going through hell trying to get a version of UFO Defense ON my laptop, I've run into a bit of a snag.

Every time I boot the game up, get to the point where I must choose a location for a base, and then click somewhere, the box that requests the name of the base appears. But at this point, I lose all control of the keyboard and mouse.

The text cursor remains flashing, but every key on the keyboard no longer functions. Not even to toggle caps lock and such. CTRL-ALT-DEL and ALT-Tab don't even work. My only choice is to turn the computer off by just hitting the 'power' switch, and I don't think that's very healthy for the machine if I do it too often.

My laptop specs: (Please note, I got this from a scrap heap. This thingy is about 8 years old. :confused:)

Windows 95

100 MHZ

... And uh, the rest I can't remember but can easily look up in a matter of minutes.

Can anyone help out an old friend? :D

I've actually had this problem at one stage on my own 486. Though I can't for the life of me remember how I got around it. It just got better, like all the other major bugs I've had.

Have you tried running it pure dos mode, or vice versa? Just a thought.

Also, could you copy the contents of your config.sys and autoexec.bat files and paste it here (manually opening the files or from sysedit.exe)? It might not even be related, but it can't hurt to have a look.

- NKF

I haven't tried running the game in pure DOS because I have a lot of memory problems when I do that. Only Windows 95, because it's the collector's edition. But here's the config.sys and autoexec.bat thingies you asked for...

Config.sys

REM

REM CONFIG.SYS -- OmniBook default startup file for drive C

REM

[menu]

menuitem=Default,Undocked (Default)

menuitem=Docked,Docked

menucolor=2

menudefault=Default,0

[Default]

[common]

shell=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /p /e:1024

device=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe

device=C:\WINDOWS\himem.sys

REM "X=" reserves memory for PCMCIA cards.

device=C:\WINDOWS\emm386.exe noems x=d000-dfff

[Docked]

devicehigh=c:\scsi\aspi2dos.sys /d /q11

devicehigh=c:\scsi\aspicd.sys /d:aspicd0

devicehigh=c:\scsi\aspidisk.sys

[Default]

[common]

dos=high,umb

devicehigh=c:\dos\power.exe adv:max

REM Configure the system for english

rem country=001,850,c:\dos\country.sys

REM Install display driver to select code page 850.

rem device=c:\dos\display.sys con=(ega,850,1)

REM OmniBook Socket Services 2.1 driver required for card slot support

REM - by PC Card (PCMCIA) wizard - devicehigh=c:\cardsoft\ssvadem.exe

REM Card Services 2.1 driver required for card slot support

REM - by PC Card (PCMCIA) wizard - devicehigh=c:\cardsoft\cs.exe

REM Card Services APM support required for card slot support

REM - by PC Card (PCMCIA) wizard - install=c:\cardsoft\cs_apm.exe

REM Initial resource allocator required for card slot support

REM - by PC Card (PCMCIA) wizard - device=c:\cardsoft\csalloc.exe c:\cardsoft\csalloc.ini

REM ATA card driver required for ATA cards

REM - by PC Card (PCMCIA) wizard - devicehigh=c:\cardsoft\atadrv.exe

REM Driver required for RAM cards

REM - by PC Card (PCMCIA) wizard - devicehigh=c:\cardsoft\mtsram.exe

REM Memory card driver required for all memory cards

REM If this driver not installed, remove /s:2 from the ATA card driver line

REM - by PC Card (PCMCIA) wizard - devicehigh=c:\cardsoft\mtddrv.exe

REM Card identification driver required for cards other than memory cards

REM - by PC Card (PCMCIA) wizard - devicehigh=c:\cardsoft\cardid.exe

REM install the international english keyboard driver

rem install=c:\dos\keyb.com us,850,c:\dos\keyboard.sys

files=50

REM LASTDRIVE=Y leaves one drive letter available for Novell networks...

lastdrive=Y

REM OmniBook needs at least 12 stacks available...

stacks=16,256

REM IFSHLP is required by Windows for Workgroups.

Autoexec.bat

rem

rem AUTOEXEC.BAT -- OmniBook default startup file for drive C.

PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\NETMANAG;c:\;c:\dos;c:\mouse;c:\omnibook;c:\tsi

PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;c:\pwrs\Sys32;c:\SQLANY50\Win;c:\pwrs\PB5i32DK;%PATH%

SET PBINI=c:\pwrs\Pb5i32

PATH %PATH%;c:\que\luckman

prompt $p$g

set temp=c:\windows\temp

set tmp=c:\windows\temp

set mouse=c:\mouse

rem Install this driver to allow the system to suspend when only the display is

rem active. If removed, the system might not suspend with some applications.

loadhigh c:\omnibook\suspend.com

rem To install the MS-DOS mouse driver, remove the "rem" from the

rem mouse command line.

rem c:\mouse\gmouse.com

goto %config%

rem Drivers loaded when undocked.

:Default

goto End

rem Drivers loaded when docked.

:Docked

rem c:\dos\mscdex.exe /d:aspicd0 /m:12

goto End

:End

SET DIRCMD= /p /o:d

rem llra1

rem net start

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DOSKEY /INSERT

rem C:\KEATERM\BLKI14

You may notice some strange commentary and such, but that's because this is a used laptop. (Once belonged to a fellah at a Computer Software company.) :confused:

Any suggestions?

Alright, I've just tried to run the game in pure DOS. For some reason, it says that UFO Defense needs to be run via windows. (It literally out and said that through DOS Prompt.)

Would something like X-COM Util fix this? I'd try it, but I already have a hard enough time moving files to and from my laptop to attempt a trial and error. :confused:

Hmm, what's your memory capacity like? A 486 with windows and the CE don't sound like a very promising combination. A 486 will be perfect for the dos version, however.

UFO 1.4 CE doesn't particularly like my p133, 16meg, win95 machine and just locks the computer up after I've placed the first base. Though it's fine on a slightly faster machine with more memory.

I wonder where we'd stand legally if we were to create a file kit that could turn the CE version into the dos version, and vice versa? We probably wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but it is something I wish was available.

- NKF

Sadly, I do not own any DOS version. :confused:

But... Speaking of the legal issues... Would there be legal action if I were to download the DOS version? Considering I already have the Collector's Edition, it wouldn't necessarily be stealing the game, would it?

If that's not an option... Then I guess I'll have to settle for the crapola shareware games I had stuffed in my closet. *Balls eyes*

Downloading a DOS version of X-COM would be considered software piracy. You would have to own an original DOS copy of the game to have the rights to use it. Just because you have the CE version does not mean that you automatically own all the previous versions!

As for legal action against you... I doubt anyone will really sue over this. However, how lucky do you feel today? I sure would not take the chance! You could probably find a copy (original) floating around. They are somewhat rare but not impossible to find. :confused:

• 1 month later...
Downloading a DOS version of X-COM would be considered software piracy.

I must disagree.

In my opinion, having the Collector's Edition gives you the rights to own the DOS versions of the game. This is not about downloading Terror from the Deep because you have UFO Defense. We're talking about getting an older version of a slightly improved game you already own.

Well, you are entitled to your own opinions. Just don't come crying when you get nabbed by the Feds!

Here is a similar idea: Let's say your computer has Windows XP on it. For some reason, you want Windows 98. So you go on the internet and download it without paying Microsoft. Just because you own XP, it does not permit you to get Win98 for free. Sure, Windows 98 is "an older version of a slightly improved" operating system "you already own" - XP. But if BigBrother Microsoft finds out, you can bet a lawsuit is headed your way.

Dictionary.com defines piracy as "The unauthorized use or reproduction of copyrighted or patented material: software piracy." Just so you know, X-COM is copyrighted and patented. First of all, if you find someone who is offering a DOS version of X-COM UFO for download, that person is committing software piracy because he/she reproduced X-COM (actually, offered the file) without permission. You then, could be considered a co-conspirator - which is a crime. Secondly, if you download the DOS version of X-COM, you are using it without authorization of the people who sold the game. Need I say that this is also a crime?

Just look at the pinned post Bomb Bloke made about Downloading X-Com - it is pretty clear! X-COM is NOT considered abandonware, so therefore any use or sharing of X-COM without a proof of purchase is illegal. This includes downloads.

If you still think it is OK after my rant, click HERE for the definition of "software theft" at Dictionary.com. While it is somewhat long (a little more than a page) it makes it abundantly clear why this is illegal.

Heh, while I do not want to offer any opinion on the legality issue, it's a dead horse in any case, so I needn't beat it any further nor do I want to cut open any tins of worms, but I must point out that the only real difference between the CE and dos version are a few files. Apart from that, almost all the data files are identical and unchanged.

So all the arguments are over a few executables that are essentially made up of almost identical source code (when I say identical, I mean all the bugs are left in) that are compiled with different compilers (Oh, and DirectX was chucked in to handle graphics and sounds). There are a few other very minor changes as well.

Sometimes the bitterest arguments can be over the most trivial of matters. :confused:

Oh I cannot wait for them to release the game to the public domain. Not that it's going to happen at this rate.

- NKF

True, most of the files are the same in the CE and DOS versions. However, the same could be said about Windows 98 and Windows ME. But you are missing the whole point of the debate: downloading the DOS version. Do I need to quote myself here? I'll save it. Read the Dictionary.com paragraph in my previous post.

To rephrase: Anyone offering the DOS version for download is a SOFTWARE PIRATE, and anyone foolish enough to download it is an accessory to software piracy as well as a SOFTWARE THIEF!

To quote you NKF, "almost identical" surely does not mean identical - right? Almost is close enough only in horseshoes and hand grenades! CE and DOS are nevertheless different versions. If you need the DOS version, the original developers WANT you to pay for it. After all, they wrote this game and have to get paid - not that any sales now will get to them.

While downloading it in your area may or may not be considered a crime, can it be considered morale? Err on the side of saftey and just purchase the version legally through any number of sources, rather than take the chance of getting caught. It will cost you less in the long-run.

I was not angry or bitter when making my rebuttal, nor did I intend it to sound that way. As for this being a trivial matter - it may well be, but it is also a serious matter. Software (and music) piracy is a huge problem. If everyone thinks that screwing Julian, Nick, and Microprose out of their paychecks is fine, then no matter how trivial it might seem to you and me, it is a big deal to those people who wrote the game! And yes, I realize that Microprose is gone, and the Gollop brothers probably would never even see a penny from a sale today. :confused:

Ha, as I said I did not want to offer any opinion on the legality issue.

I was just trying to point out that some arguments (like this one) can be about very minor differences (albeit a very significant issue at the same time). I mean, it's the same thing as me paying for a thermos mug with my university crest on it when I can buy the exact same mug sans the crest for half the price. The difference between the two is miniscule at best. True, because one has a bit of extra paint on it, it's completely different, but you cannot deny its muggishness is almost identical to the other one now can you? :D

It's just a marketing strategy to milk an exhausted line for all its worth.

Look, I'm not saying I can buy one mug and then get the other one for free. Never have I implied that.

But if I must: I highly discourage software piracy in general, and that's where I stand. I cringe every time I see a post (especially one that's very badly phrased) pointing to a piracy site. But I prefer not to get tangled with piracy issues anymore. I've had my share of fun, thank you very much. :confused:

- NKF

Here is a little NKF word association quiz:

Paid for Mug with University Crest is to X-COM CE as

Free Mug without University Crest is to X-COM DOS

It still sounds like that mug without the University Crest was obtained legally... :D

Here is a little Zombie word association quiz:

Paid for X-COM CE is to legal to own as

Downloading X-COM DOS is to illegal to own

Let's assume for this argument that downloading = stealing.

So combining the two quizzes we have

Paid for Mug with University Crest is to legal to own as

Stolen Mug without University Crest is to illegal to own

Does that clear things up?

Now if there was only a way to erase the Crest on the mug then the DOS version would become legal - by removing the CE bits! :confused:

Maybe I should have said that owning a mug with a crest does not give you a license to steal a plain mug. Ah well, too late to edit my post now. :confused:

A good mug is true happiness. Sadly this one isn't it. My eternal quest for the ultimate mug continues! Away my faithful Army of Midget Spies™ and Solar Pea Pods!

- NKF

Why don't we rephrase this a little more?

Let's say you bought that Mug with the University logo on it... And it just didn't work! Maybe because the cap wouldn't screw in right, there was a big hole in the bottom... Whatever. I believe the buyer of the mug is entitled to a refund or at least a mug that works right.

When I got X-COM CE, it was entirely by legal terms. But if I am unable to play it, I think the company is obligated to give me my money's worth.

I can't drink from the mug because the spout is too awkwardly shaped to properly use. So I'm just getting a different one in place of it that's more compatable. It's like selling a cup to someone that you know full well doesn't work too well, only you never make a mention of it. I'm pretty sure I deserve to play X-COM, after all I fished the money out for it and I don't feel like letting a 'not-working' version sit on my hard drive collecting dust.

Also, I'd suggest looking past Dictionary.com and look into more law sources. Especially those concerning commercializing and trade. There are places where it would be illegal to not provide me with a working version of X-COM once I paid for it. So in a way, it would put Atari in trouble on it's own to do anything about it.

Anyways... Anybody else got any ideas how to solve my laptop problem? :confused:

No, wouldn't work. The executables are failing, not the batch file. The batch file is simply an automated method of typing in every command from the command line. Not quite, since it can capture and make use of error levels returned by the executable, but close enough.

Speaking of mugs, if I got one and it didn't work right, I'd return it with the receipt for a new one. But, as it is, the people supplying the mugs aren't producing this variety of mug anymore, and the people who've supposedly taken over the company that produced the mugs, sacked the workers and turned the mug into a kind of spitoon. Then they went bust and sold the rights over to another company that just bought it simply for the sake of buying something. Sadly everyone wants these mugs, but they expect everyone to hand them these mugs on a silver platter. It's just that no one but the consumers care anymore. Supply is not meeting demand.

Eh enough about crummy thermos mugs. I might as well go and buy a proper thermos flask instead. Besides, trying to work distinguish between standard mugs which are simply incompatible with car cup holders and the mugs with tapered bases would blow my brain out my elbow!

- NKF

P. S: I'm not equating Enforcer to a spitoon. That's crazy. I'd probably equate Professor Able Standard to one, but not the Enforcer. I just picked a word at random there. I could've said chamberpot. :confused: