Rebalance Mod 4.1 Ready!

Aralez

The new Rebalance Mod should downloadable soon.

I have some sad news, though. I won't be able to continue work for some weeks as my job is "eating me up" atm. I give all rights of my files and the mod to fnurg, maybe he will continue with this mod.

Bye.

Aralez

Btw, thanks to all helpers and modders on this board.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope all goes well with work... but hopefully you'll check vack with the forums cause i'm havin a prob with all versions of your mod. I keep getting a DOS window stating i was unable to open vfs tool after trying to install? And yes i put the folder into my aftermath file :rolleyes:

Hopefully Aralez wont be away to too long :rolleyes: (fingers crossed)

Changes (v.4.1)

-Added the ammo-manufacturing-mod from RedDuke (great mod!, but has some small bugs, nothing serious, though)

-Added Camera-Mod.

-Added some sounds.

-Addes some more names to the crew-pool. :tank:

-Reworked Gun-Sounds

-Readjusted some weapons and equipment

-New Splashscreen

-No more installers

-Added special savegame with 2 Cyborgs

I've just uploaded the mod here (9.8 meg). It was going to be a lot bigger with Strahd's music addon included but Aralez felt that the mod would be too big (just as well coz it would have taken me around 5 hours to upload it!)

Included its a small batch file which should automatically launch the mod. No moving/copying of files required. If it doesnt work (Aralez had problems with an earlier version) theres an installation.txt file in the mod directory detailing how to run the mod manually. Oh and theres the teeny possiblility it might mess up your installation of UFO. Check the mod4.1/backup directory if thats the case :D

EDIT: As requested. A full version of the mod will be available, hopefully tommorow. It'll include Strahds excellent music mod and will probably weigh in at around 44 megs.

I am blown away at what you modders have done with this game, all without any help from Altar. I mean, Holy crap guys! You are creating tools and modding new weapons, armor, and, sounds all without documentation as to how all the files are linked to each other. I think you are all doing an outstanding job and have re-injected some fun into this game for me and many others. Thank you all for your hard work. :rolleyes:

I'm having problems as well. It keeps erroring out when I try to enter the Squad screen. It seems like there is something that gets corrupted in one of the head pictures, or something is coded wrong. I tried installing it manually, but no dice, same error. Here's what I get. I think it might be a corrupt 1.2 patch file.

ver UFO:AM Release 1.2 file:\UFO_src\UFO\TacticalGame\XichtPanel.cpp

line 109 _headTemplate

I'm giong to try reinstalling the 1.2 patch and see if that fixes it.

Cheers,

Ishantil

The Rebalance 4.1 Mod is buggy.

It's not clear where the Play4_1.bat file is supposed to be played from. So, I manually installed.

It's not clear from the instructions whether the 3.3 Rebalance Mod should remain installed or be uninstalled, though I tried both ways, and the problems didn't go away.

The 4.1 Rebalance works with previously saved games from Rebalance 3.3, but the helicopter is no longer fast. Frustrating to be back to the slow crawling helicopter. The cyborgs don't seem to show up either if working from a saved game. But, at least Rebalance 4.1 runs from a saved game.

Now if you start a new game, then all that the Rebalance 4.1 Mod does when you access the SQUAD screen is ring the bell, freeze the screen, and then crash to desktop when you hit the escape key.

So, there's is no way to play the game with all the new features. Not all the new features make it into a previously saved game, and if you start a new game profile, then you are introduced to the crash to desktop whenever you try to access the SQUAD screen.

I guess I'm going back to version 3.3 of the Rebalance Mod, at least it seemed to work.

Rebalance 4.1 Updated Report:

First the good news. I finally got Rebalance 4.1 to work.

Starting with a fresh original copy of gamedata.vfs without the MusicMod in it, I was able to get Rebalance Mod 4.1 to actually create a new game without crashing to the desktop while accessing the SQUAD screen. It seemed to create and Aralez_3_3 Profile which I deleted. Then created a new game. I don't know what's going on, but with a fresh creation using a pure gamedata.vfs, I was able to get a game that didn't crash when going into the SQUAD screen. Don't know if the process is duplicable.

Then I played the game. The newly created 4.1 Rebalance game gave research for Basic Ammunitition Manufacturing, new Conventional Armor, and an additional type of ammunition for the guns. The new features were showing up.

BUT after creating a game with Rebalance 4.1, this is what Rebalance 4.1 took away:

There was no grand influx of recruits, no endless supply of soldiers. No Retihalf showed up ever, even after running through days of time. No Grayhalf. No Cyborgs. I got the usual two or three recruits at the start of the game and that was it. All the cool surprises of Rebalance 3.3 were gone, and no cyborgs ever came to my rescue.

And, now with the Rebalance 4.1 announcing on the Save and Play screen that it is in control, the chopper was back to being very slow, taking days to get places, instead of going there instantaneously as in 3.3. Changing base types is now back to 24 hours of time instead of the 13 hours of time in Rebalance 3.3.

I don't know whether Rebalance 4.1 is buggy, or whether they took out all the good features that were in Rebalance 3.3, but even when I got 4.1 to work, it didn't satisfy like the previous one did.

So far, the best combination I have had for modding is the Aralez Rebalance mod 3.3, combined with the GurkoZ Sound Modification and the Music mod. It seemed to be a solid combination, and I liked the result.

The old Aralez Rebalance 3.3 used files, the MusicMod targeted gamedata.vfs, and the GurkoZ Sound used cfg.vfs to work its magic. They each used three different methods to accomplish their goal, so combined together, they didn't seem to step on anyone's toes. And the Chompers with the GurkoZ Sound Mod actually make a sound when they attack. The 4.1 Rebalance uses cfg.vfs so the GurkoZ Sound Mod which also uses the cfg.vfs has to go away so that the less satisfying 4.1 Rebalance can take its place. I like the old combination better.

That's what I am going to go back to now -- the Aralez Rebalance 3.3, the MusicMod, and the GurkoZ Sound mod all combined together. It seemed to be stable, and it seemed to work. I'll have to do without the extra ammunition and the dreams of Cyborgs for now.

I have been very impressed and deeply respectful of the 'magic' these people have accomplished in the past, so I had to give Rebalance 4.1 a serious try. But, even when I finally got 4.1 to work, it didn't work, or it didn't work as well as 3.3. It didn't have as many features. Rebalance 3.3 got rid of many of the complaints against ALTAR's original creation, and Rebalance 4.1 seemed to re-introduced them. Or, if that was not the intent of 4.1, then 4.1 is seriously buggy. Either way, I regretfully have to return to Rebalance 3.3. It just plain works better.

As said two times already :rolleyes:, I think you are mixing up the features of the rebalance and the megamod UfoMan.

And to those of you that can't get the mod working: I just downloaded it of the site (from the mods section), and played it. I extracted the cyborg saves to my savegame folder, and loaded it. Worked fine. Also started a new game, and it worked fine. Don't try to load an old save though....

All I did was to extract the contents of the mod into the AM folder. Have no idea why you get errors...but my best guess would be this: You have used other mods that have changed the gamedata file, and that is messing up the rebalance mod. So your best would be to delete the gamedata file, and insert the backup one. If you don't have a backup however, you may have to install the game again...